New GM looking for some tips

By sandwich, in WFRP Gamemasters

Hi all, hoping for a few pointers.

I played 1st edition, and I've played a bit of 1st Ed Enemy Within converted to 3rd edition rules, now I'm taking my first steps into GMing 3rd edition (I've run some EotE stuff but not much else).

My party will be a Wardancer and a Swordmaster; background is going to be something along the lines of "SM has been living with the woodies for a while to learn new fighting techniques".

So... my current plan for running this:

* Starting off with a short episode or two - I've got the GM Toolkit so was thinking a Chase to start, possibly followed by a Delivery. This gets a bit of early combat (chasing some beastmen with possibly a bigger beastman baddie of some sort), and gets the party out of the woods - the delivery will almost certainly take them to Ubersreik. I reckon on one XP after each of these episodes?

* Next up: An Eye for an Eye, then Edge of Night. Both are based in Ubersreik so I think it makes sense to lead from one to the other.

Again, for XP... don't have the books to hand now but IIRC they seem be split into 3 parts, would 1XP per part make sense, maybe with an extra one for finishing?

* After those, I'll leave it open for either Gathering Storm or Horror of Hugeldal (or both).

* Next up would be Witches Song and/or the Slaanesh one. I know the Witches one will go down well (a nice bit of elf rivalry thrown in as well!), the Slaanesh one may be trickier with the party being more combat-oriented but maybe by then things will have changed anyway.

I've got all the books so could run anything, but I figured the magic adventure wouldn't fit too well with these guys, and the Omens of War adventure is maybe too far away... though could potentially be brought in after all these, or if they decide they fancy a bit more travel!

Does this all sound vaguely sensible, or am I missing out on something? Do the XP rewards sound about right (I'm never sure how much to give out for these things)?

Interesting to hear you played 1st edition The Enemy Within using 3rd edition rules. I thought only I was stupid enough to do that :P

I think if you jiggle the order a bit you've got your chase through the woods and delivery already set up in a Day Late a Shiling Short which also leads nicely into An Eye for an Eye. After that (since you already have your Aschaffenburg introduction) the next logical adventure is The Edge of Night, followed by whatever adventures you choose though for me Gathering Storm is a bit of a snooze fest, so you may want to skip it or tighten it up some and give it more focus. Sew a few more campaign specific hooks in there, or failing that there's always The Enemy Within 3rd.

As for XP in my group we usuallly go with 1 XP per session and occasionally a couple (e.g culmination of large adventure). Think you might be underestimating finishing time of adventures though. It all depends on your GM style of course but when I ran Edge of Night it took 8 sessions though I did lots of work on filling out the city of Ubersreik with stuff to do in the run up to the grand finale.

Edited by Noelyuk

I give out a little more XP, but my sessions run to about 6 hours and we only meet at most once per month, so my group is a little different. I knocked off Edge of Night Parts 2/3 in one night, though the Skaven fight was a little short because my group tends to not enjoy the combat portion to a great degree so once they knew to go into the sewers finding the warren was not too far.

I am a huge fan of how EoN worked out and while I wouldn't recommend it for the first adventure, I am definitely a huge fan of it as well as the background material it provides. I also think it segues nicely into the Lure of Power adventure which is one I'm building up to as a big conclusion to the diplomatic intrigue of Ubersreik.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm definitely planning on doing EoN as 2nd adventure, after Eye for an Eye. Looks like I did get the XP wrong though... I'm guessing my sessions will be 2 hours or so each, I guess 1XP per each of these should be ok?

As a follow-up question... I do have the new version of Enemy Within. After a brief skim-through it seems set up for a larger party (3-4), and for characters created for it. Is that the case? Could it be run with a smaller and/or more experienced party? I'm almost certainly doing Eye for an Eye, EoN, then Witches Song (possibly with Hugeldal or Mirror of Desire in between). I reckon this would put the PCs at high rank 2... would this be ok to start EW or would they be better starting off earlier?

As for the 1st edition EW... my friend wanted to run it, we wanted to try out the new rules... its kind-of a mish-mash of rules, with mostly stripped-down 3rd edition and a few bits from 1st edition called upon where necessary. Its been fun so far, we're about to finish off in Bogenhafen tomorrow...

Thanks for the replies!

I'm definitely planning on doing EoN as 2nd adventure, after Eye for an Eye. Looks like I did get the XP wrong though... I'm guessing my sessions will be 2 hours or so each, I guess 1XP per each of these should be ok?

As a follow-up question... I do have the new version of Enemy Within. After a brief skim-through it seems set up for a larger party (3-4), and for characters created for it. Is that the case? Could it be run with a smaller and/or more experienced party? I'm almost certainly doing Eye for an Eye, EoN, then Witches Song (possibly with Hugeldal or Mirror of Desire in between). I reckon this would put the PCs at high rank 2... would this be ok to start EW or would they be better starting off earlier?

As for the 1st edition EW... my friend wanted to run it, we wanted to try out the new rules... its kind-of a mish-mash of rules, with mostly stripped-down 3rd edition and a few bits from 1st edition called upon where necessary. Its been fun so far, we're about to finish off in Bogenhafen tomorrow...

Yeah 1XP is enough if you're only playing for a couple of hours I'd say.

Can't help you with the NEW Enemy Within question since i've not yet played it.

But our 1st edition The Enemy Within game is chugging along nicely and is now a podcast. So if you'd like to get another groups take on it be sure and check it out. Our latest episode 12 sees the plot thickening as the party try to stop the cult and avoid getting beaten up by thugs in the process.

http://www.theorderofchaosgamers.com/podcast-home/tewr-ep-12-back-alley-brawling-in-bogenhafen

9913801_orig.jpg

Edited by Noelyuk

oops I replied to wrong post

Edited by DurakBlackaxe