Mono-Chaos Deck

By Darthvegeta800, in Warhammer Invasion Deck Building

My first attempt at a Mono Chaos Deck. Above all 'beatdown' with as much corruption as is currently possible to get away with it ;) I only have the core set 2x and don't plan to get it a third time. I'll just be adding cards from the packs to the deck to finetune it. Anyway here's my first attempt:

UNITS: (24)

2x Melekh The Changer

2x Valkia The Bloody

3x Festering Nurglings

3x Servants of Khorne

2x Fledgling Chaos Spawn

3x Chaos Knights

3x Dark Zealot

3x Savage Marauder

3x Savage Gors

SUPPORT: (21)

2x Warpstone Meteor

3x Shrine To Nurgle

3x Warpstone Excavation

3x Contested Fortress

3x Contested Village

3x Forgotten Cemetary

2x Horrific Mutation

2x Sadistic Mutation

TACTICS: (12)

2x Nurgle's Pestilence

3x Seduced by Darkness

2x Culling the Weak

3x Blood for the Blood God

2x Innovation

TOTAL CARDS: (57)

I'm going to playtest the deck tonight 'probably'. I've tried to avoid pricy cards like the Bloodthirster or Flames of Tzeentch. Bad call? The Warpstone Excavation's will go to the zone that will be 'sacrificed'. It's a quick and cheap bonus to cardraw or resources. I was tempted by other support cards relying on boosting itself but for now I decided to avoid them. Not sure if my monstercount is too low though.

Not sure about the 4 Mutation cards. Are they worth it? Any neutral support or tactic cards you'd favor over those in my deck or would add in? Innovation for one seems quite good. But is it useful to put it in?

Neutral "Burn it down" for Support Removal? Also, no Nurgle Sorceror?

Yeah oddly enough, I never really liked the Sorceror that much. Perhaps because I tend to dish out damage usually directly. I should use him?

Hmmm Burn it down i'll put in for now but might it not make the deck loose some momentum resource-wise?

Darthvegeta800 said:

Yeah oddly enough, I never really liked the Sorceror that much. Perhaps because I tend to dish out damage usually directly. I should use him?

Hmmm Burn it down i'll put in for now but might it not make the deck loose some momentum resource-wise?

Well, you do have Shrine to Nurgle, Sorceror comboes nicely, but is expensive to use. Still, Pestilence tends to wipe most of your Units off, Sorceror at least lets you pick your poison. No Bloodthirsters, so how many resources are you looking to get? Contested Village is Cost:1, 1 Power Neutral, right? Maybe swap for Contested Stronghold, Cost:4, 1 Power + 1 Power for each development in the zone. Warpstone Excavations tend to be development-fodder, at least for me.

I've learned that it's somewhat of a mistake to create any deck based on a "sacrificial zone." Just doesn't make a lot of sense to what I've seen and experienced with this game, so far.

Oddly enough that's the opposite of my play experience. I fail to see how all three zone can be kept safe. Not a single game so far had kept all 3 zones safe. And I'll put in a contested Stronghold. ^___^

UNITS: (24)

2x Melekh The Changer

2x Valkia The Bloody

3x Festering Nurglings

3x Servants of Khorne

2x Fledgling Chaos Spawn

3x Chaos Knights

3x Dark Zealot

3x Savage Marauder

3x Savage Gors

SUPPORT: (21)

2x Warpstone Meteor

3x Shrine To Nurgle

3x Warpstone Excavation

3x Contested Fortress

3x Contested Stronghold

3x Forgotten Cemetary

2x Horrific Mutation

2x Sadistic Mutation

TACTICS: (14)

2x Nurgle's Pestilence

3x Seduced by Darkness

2x Culling the Weak

2x Innovation

2x Burn It Down

TOTAL CARDS: (59)

Sorry for the double-post. (dam editbutton not being around for long)

Contested Village out? Or in the stead of another support card? Because 1-1 is a nice early ration. And that way one does not have to put developments all over the place.

When playtesting it twice against the Dwarves of my brother, I won the first time and lost very close the 2nd time.

Recognizing that you can't defend all zones equally is one thing, not contesting your opponents attempts to burn one of them is, I believe, a mistake. Burn it down is essential against the Dwarves IMO. Two early Keystone Forges and you'll be cursing yourself for not including it.

Yeah my brother brought in 2 last time. And of course no Burn it Down popped up. lol!

Well not defending is a big word. I do enhance it etc. But I have rarely had reason to put down a unit let alone more in the first area to fall.

If your brother starts bringing in Scouts and attacking your undefended zone and forcing discard with no punishment I suspect you'll take a different view of this.

If he does i'll place something there. But so far it hasn't happened. But then he never plays Empire.

Is it worth putting in one or two quest cards and if so which ones?

Try to give you a couple of advices ;)

FIRST question: Are you using 2x Core Set?

1- I wouldn't pull out Bloodthirster . Let me explain ;) I'm playin' lots of match testing chaos. I play on 50 cards (but I'm workin' on a 60 cards version too).

Even if it may seem weird, try to build invest a lot on KZ, ignoring early damage you can deal...Openings like:

- t1: Savage Marauders

- t2: Warpstone Meteor + something else, possibly in the BZ

- t3: Chaos Knights

It means 8 resources turn 3 and, with fledging chaos spawn...well...Early Bloodthirster with a couple of "food" Units.

I play 2 of them in my deck and I play it EVERY single game. It's stronger than it seems... ;)

2- I like both Mutations (and play both too)... But if you wanna stay into 50 (believe me, give it a try), I'd prefer Horrific, if you wanna go "aggressive". Remember that it means that your oppo will never declare 1 HP Units as defenders...And it means that you're probably going to take an early zone...In the same time, you keep a low cost curve.

On the other hand, Sadistic Mutation is efficient if you like more control (it's a good thing even on a defensive point of view).

Anyway, if you wanna try a 50 cards deck, pull out one Mutation of your choice.

3- Quests... I tried to use Infiltrate and Journey through the gate...Chaos, at the moment, is not the best Race at "resolving" quests...I'd keep them out. gui%C3%B1o.gif

4- Try to put in a couple more chars... ignoring the "combo", I'd put in a couple of Nurgle Sorceror...From a heavy/early KZ point of view, it's not so expensive and it's an easy QZ choice.

If you have troubles, pull out 1x Dark Zealot: same cost for one more HP, but no abilities...You can live with 2x of them gui%C3%B1o.gif

5- Personally I don't like the Excavation and the presence of ALL THOSE limited Supports... I'd keep an eye on "Flames of Tzeentch" (great weenie control card, works fine with StN, strong late game removal), Slaneesh's Domination (just a couple...If you're in trouble, it can help you a lot)...

If you wanna run, use Contested Village (3 limited Supports are enough).

In the end, I don't see "wait and develop" a good chance to make Chaos Shine...I'd prefer a more flexible, control concept: build up the KZ for a couple of turns, rush for some damage, get back some cards with Nurgle Sorceror and then close the deal with Bloodthirster + Chaos Knights in the BZ + Horrific Mutation + some corruption ;)

OBVIOUSLY, IMHO! gran_risa.gif

LOL okay. I'll take a look at my deck later on and see what I'll change.
So basically one type of mutation, add in sorcerors 2x, Bloodthirster 2x and diminish the support limited support cards with especially excavation going?

I mostly put excavation in because it's an easy and cheap boost.

I understand mate, and that's not wrong (nothing's wrong here :) ). But I suggest you to try out a 50 card version, ignore developements and try to get a little more control...

If you wanna try a 60 card version (I go ten by ten just because I'm trained with those amounts of cards :) ) we have to change something else.

Do you have acces to a 3rd Core Set? Just to know :)

About Excavation: I'd like it in a "combo" deck where you'd need early resources to close the deal quickly, but here it's not reallly needed, IMHO.

That's just my idea... lengua.gif

Nope only 2x. Won't buy a third or in my eyes it negates the choice for an LCG a bit too much. (even if it is still cheaper than my past L5R expenses)

I'm going to take a look at my deck tonight. See how I can finetune it. People keep recommendign Sorceror to me... but I just don't see him as that useful with his ability. I'm probably missing something obvious though.

It may appear not so powerful, and maybe it's not...

But the fact is that a Chaos problem is that is LOW on Units. With it and with a little finetuning, you have a better Unit-Non Unit ratio and a useful ability.

I say that is strong cause I usually play Kingdom heavy Chaos :) Dealing damages for 3 won't be a problem around turn 3/5 and it'll make the difference.

Anywya, you're not forced to use it: if you wanna stay on 50, you can leave things as they are right now and concentrate on the non-Unit cards tuning. :)

UNITS: (28)

2x Melekh The Changer

2x Valkia The Bloody

2x Bloodthirster

2x Nurgle Sorceror

3x Festering Nurglings

3x Servants of Khorne

2x Fledgling Chaos Spawn

3x Chaos Knights

3x Dark Zealot

3x Savage Marauder

3x Savage Gors

SUPPORT: (16)

2x Warpstone Meteor

3x Shrine To Nurgle

3x Contested Fortress

3x Contested Stronghold

3x Forgotten Cemetary

2x Horrific Mutation

TACTICS: (14)

2x Nurgle's Pestilence

3x Seduced by Darkness

2x Culling the Weak

2x Innovation

2x Burn It Down

TOTAL CARDS: (58)

Made some modifications. I don't mind dumping some more cards just not sure what. Innovation has frequently been very good. The sudden boost in finances frequently allows me to quickly field several cards. Suggestions?

Why do you have forgotten Cemetery in there? I am with DB Cooper, I see Chaos as needing a strong Kingdom to play. I would assume you would put Armoury in there.

With Nurgle Sorceror and Valkia, you have enough Quest boosts...

Cemetery is just ANOTHER limited Support stallin' your draw...

I would 3x Cemetery and put:

2x Sadistic Mutation (one more loyalty, good damage boost)

1x Horrific mutation (one more loyalty, 1-cost drop)

Then, pull out the Fortress (it's not worth the deal for a 3-cost in a Chaos Aggro/Control Deck) and try:

1x Sorceror

1x Fledging Chaos Spawn

1x Warpstone Meteor (play a couple of game with it coming 2nd turn and you'll see how efficient it is ;) )

NOTE: If I remember correctly, you have just 2x Core Sets...My suggestions imply the 3rd, but I'm not absolutely tellin' you to purchase it...I'm just suggesting to find this card to give it a try or, at least, make some proxies...You definitely need some testing with different combinations in order to fine tune it. gui%C3%B1o.gif

That's it, right now...But I'll think about it...As I said I'm workin' on a chaos deck too, so it's a good thread for everyone ;)

Anyone tried adding 1-2 Vile Sorceresses (dark elven unit) to the mono-chaos deck? Even with 4-cost it might be worth it, chaos has so many ways of dealing out of combat damages that you could just use it to nuke enemy units down.

As appealing as it is i'm for now going to avoid buying a third box. Maybe in time. Say half a year or so depending on how the cardpool evolves.
I'll remove the cemetaries as you advised.

Darthvegeta800 said:

As appealing as it is i'm for now going to avoid buying a third box...

With the card pool in the CS, you can definitely stay on 2 and just try to get a bunch of singles to get the 3rd copies of the cards you REALLY need. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Lafi said:

Anyone tried adding 1-2 Vile Sorceresses (dark elven unit) to the mono-chaos deck? Even with 4-cost it might be worth it, chaos has so many ways of dealing out of combat damages that you could just use it to nuke enemy units down.

I only have one set and will only get one of each booster pack at this point. if teh game takes off in my area (Orlando, FL) then I will consider getting copies. As to you point, I love the Sorceress and she is usually in my Chaos Deck. She combines well with so many of the Chaos direct damage effects. I also have played around some with the DE Cauldron of Blood support for my kingdom. Not as sure about it's utility given the cost and the more limited nature of the card effect. Now that I am typing this, I am considering Disciple of Khaine and wondering if there is room in a single set 50 card deck for him as well.