Call of the Wild reprint?

By Tobbu, in Mansions of Madness

Hello guys,

Was wondering if anyone have information about the reprint of Call of the Wild Expansion?

It just says reprint on FFG's upcoming page.

Do we know when this will happen?

Best Regards

Unless you are waiting to specifically buy from FFG, you can go out to Amazon and buy the game right now. I just looked (02/21/2016 @ 7:40 AM PST) and there are a bunch available.

Thanks for replying.

I am waiting for the reprint as it might contain changes.

May I ask you why you believe it might contain changes? I haven't seen announcements leading to think this way

Its just something ive seen people ask about and its something I believe.

But ofcourse, nothing official.

Thats why I wonder. If its worth waiting or if I should just buy it right away.

If they are to change something, they'd have let us know, as they did in the past. I think it's pretty safe for you buying the game on Amazon. Or, you could try sending them an email and ask

I see that the "reprint" changed to out of stock. Does that mean that they have ceased production of this game? I'm from South Africa so buying Call of The Wild is out of the question on Amazon. I've ordered a copy from a local supplier and they said that they can't give me an ETA on this product. Anyone know of some inside news about this?

The upcoming page still says "awaiting reprint", so, it's awaiting reprint. Be patient, the game will arrive, otherwise it'd not have been placed there, and this board would have been moved somewhere else (like happened for other obsolete lines)

I'm not really positive on this one at all.

This game is old now. The last expansion was released something like three years ago.

It never got that care that it should have.

It's nearly impossible to find an unbox copy of the game (and it's 2 big box expansions) for a while.

I"m really sad because I wanted to make my Arkham Files collection full.

There are multiple LGS's for which I have relationships that have told me they expect reprints of Call of the Wild and Forbidden Alchemy on or around May 31, 2016. Again, no promises, just what I have heard through those owners (and what they have obviously been told).

Prices for this have gone nuts recently... I only want it for a Dark Young mini myself (!) so holding out hope for that late May reprint being a real thing. Not a lot of hope, mind, but some...

I, too, am waiting for a reprint. Hopefully we will get reprint news soon! :)

I live in Denver, CO and there isnt a copy of Call of the Wild or Forbidden Alchemy to be found, and the prices on Amazon are after-market and completely out of control (~$150-$200 for CotW; $100+ for FA). If there isn't a reprint, this title is pretty much extinct.

I live in Denver, CO and there isnt a copy of Call of the Wild or Forbidden Alchemy to be found, and the prices on Amazon are after-market and completely out of control (~$150-$200 for CotW; $100+ for FA). If there isn't a reprint, this title is pretty much extinct.

You're absolutely right. Every potential buyer will just simply give up with the idea (like me, I'm pretty close to it, since I'm waiting for 6 months now) to buy it. It's a shame to fade away like this.

I own an english version of the base game and Forbidden Alchemy exp for MoMs first edition and I'd love to acquire the Call of Wild expansion also in english for my 2nd edition MoM to mix it in for the additional content, but since Im from Poland, theres only Polish versions of the expansion available.

Meh T^T

Edited by Kessadir

Looks like with the release of the second edition a reprint of first edition Call of the Wild will never happen. And I absolutely refuse to pay outrageous, marked-up prices from secondary sellers because FFG abandoned gamers who believed enough in the first edition to shell out $$$ for the core game and expansions.

Mansions of Madness is the last FFG product I will ever buy. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...well, you know the rest.

Edited by Tarot Mage

Looks like with the release of the second edition a reprint of first edition Call of the Wild will never happen. And I absolutely refuse to pay outrageous, marked-up prices from secondary sellers because FFG abandoned gamers who believed enough in the first edition to shell out $$$ for the core game and expansions.

I understand your point, but there's no reason for which a company should keep supporting a line that doesn't grant enough of a profit. Game producing companies are companies: they create a good to be sold for profit. If 1st edition was abandoned and 2nd edition was created, I imagine it was for very specific marketing reasons (i.e. first edition was too flawed to be continued and wasn't selling well enough), and not with the idea of "pissing off customers". All Call of the Wild material is available in the second Monster and Tile Collection set for a very low price; and if you want the scenarios to play, it's enough that you ask (me or anyone else) the scans of the original booklet (I hardly think there's any copyright infringment here considering the game is officially out of production). You'll be probably missing a bunch of tokens, which you can easily proxy, and a bunch of cards (possibly not so vital, but even in this case you can do print and play)

As said, if the dynamics are "I just got into the line, and they are moving to 2nd", then it's a bit of misfortune with the timing; but through the years the company showed a lot of respect to their fan base (just consider we got a Descent 1st edition final FAQ after 2nd edition was released) so that saying this 2nd edition is unfair to the fans it's a bit of a stretch, in my opinion

I understand your point, but there's no reason for which a company should keep supporting a line that doesn't grant enough of a profit. Game producing companies are companies: they create a good to be sold for profit. If 1st edition was abandoned and 2nd edition was created, I imagine it was for very specific marketing reasons (i.e. first edition was too flawed to be continued and wasn't selling well enough), and not with the idea of "pissing off customers". All Call of the Wild material is available in the second Monster and Tile Collection set for a very low price; and if you want the scenarios to play, it's enough that you ask (me or anyone else) the scans of the original booklet (I hardly think there's any copyright infringment here considering the game is officially out of production). You'll be probably missing a bunch of tokens, which you can easily proxy, and a bunch of cards (possibly not so vital, but even in this case you can do print and play)

As said, if the dynamics are "I just got into the line, and they are moving to 2nd", then it's a bit of misfortune with the timing; but through the years the company showed a lot of respect to their fan base (just consider we got a Descent 1st edition final FAQ after 2nd edition was released) so that saying this 2nd edition is unfair to the fans it's a bit of a stretch, in my opinion

Interesting analysis. I hope players will be as understanding and pragmatic down the line when support inevitably stops for the second edition to make way for the third edition...which FFG totally expects MoM fans to pay at least a hundred bucks or so for the core game, with additional $$$ for expansions. Pray that the app for the second edition remains or players will be stuck with a Keeper-driven game with no Keeper.

Call of the Wild was never available in my area. I could have picked it up through FFG or Amazon but I wanted to support my LGS instead. That was my mistake. By the time it became clear that my local game stores were unable to stock it (and having it listed as "Awaiting Reprint" through FFG before they pulled it from the schedule), it was too late. I was just hoping that a reprint was going to happen before the 2nd edition went live to give first edition owners one last opportunity to pick up any expansions they may have missed.

Bottom line is that I can't afford to keep buying new versions of abandoned games. More power to those who can.

I'm sorry the expansion never reached your place; as said, if you want, I can scan and mail you the scenarios, no probs (tiles and minis can be found in the just released Monster and Tile collection volume 2). It's not like having the original, but at least you can get the missing material :)

As for your other points... can't comment much. I think it's normal rules of the market: in a consumistic world, old stuff is constantly replaced by shinier and cozier new versions of the same stuff, and boardgames are no exceptions I'm afraid. So, it's inevitable that some games will be expanded as much as possible, and then replaced by new editions and versions. It's also a question of how the public changes over the years: people want different things, and companies second that, reshaping and remodelling old classics according to the new public. 10 years ago, it'd have been impossible release a game with an app; maybe in 20 years from now, we'll have a Mansions v.4.0 working in a virtual 3D space generated by a holoprojector. It'll be a different game: we could keep playing v.1.0, or 2.0, or maybe we won't be playing anything at all. I understand this sucks, but it's the law of the market. There's no way new AD&D modules are produced, for example, and there's no way you can get a new car like those produced in the '60s, or have your roof folded in asbestos; the times they are a changing...

20 years from now, we'll have a Mansions v.4.0 working in a virtual 3D space generated by a holoprojector.

WANT!!

;)

I'm sorry the expansion never reached your place; as said, if you want, I can scan and mail you the scenarios, no probs (tiles and minis can be found in the just released Monster and Tile collection volume 2). It's not like having the original, but at least you can get the missing material :)

As for your other points... can't comment much. I think it's normal rules of the market: in a consumistic world, old stuff is constantly replaced by shinier and cozier new versions of the same stuff, and boardgames are no exceptions I'm afraid. So, it's inevitable that some games will be expanded as much as possible, and then replaced by new editions and versions. It's also a question of how the public changes over the years: people want different things, and companies second that, reshaping and remodelling old classics according to the new public. 10 years ago, it'd have been impossible release a game with an app; maybe in 20 years from now, we'll have a Mansions v.4.0 working in a virtual 3D space generated by a holoprojector. It'll be a different game: we could keep playing v.1.0, or 2.0, or maybe we won't be playing anything at all. I understand this sucks, but it's the law of the market. There's no way new AD&D modules are produced, for example, and there's no way you can get a new car like those produced in the '60s, or have your roof folded in asbestos; the times they are a changing...

Can you please send me the scans? I have the First edition base game, the second edition base game (with the monster and tile collections), so I only need the missing scenarios and cards (without the tiles and monsters).

Apologies for resurrecting a long forgotten thread, but I've found myself in a similar situation to startika! If this goes against any rules let me know and I'll delete this.

I recently picked up a second hand copy of MoM 1st edition, tried it out with some friends and it was love at first play! We've completed all the base scenarios multiple times now but are keen to expand the experience but 2nd ed. doesn't seem to have the same magic. We'd had heard Call of the Wild was meant to be the best expansion but can't find it anywhere!

Is there honestly no chance of this being reprinted at all? Short of scouring the depths of the internet there doesn't seem to be much hope for us!

Kind regards,

On 26/10/2016 at 0:55 AM, Julia said:

Only just realised that unless I quote someone else in going to be having a conversation with myself ?

Julia, apologies for dragging you back onto this - but would you be able to help?

This has been out of print for a long time and is extremely unlikely to come back. Second hand is your only option.

21 hours ago, Azmodeous said:

Only just realised that unless I quote someone else in going to be having a conversation with myself ?

Julia, apologies for dragging you back onto this - but would you be able to help?

No worries :) Yes, I can scan the stuff for you, but not in the immediate future (too high the workload at the moment to take in anything additional). Shoot me a private message after Christmas, and I'll do it