Scenario order of interest

By Wags33, in Alien Invasion

Just wondering, after having read through the scenarios, in what order would you put them from most interesting to least. My list is as follows.

Rising Tides, Skitter, War Between Worlds, Brotherhood of Babylon, Visages.

Rising Tides seems like it would put players in a much more conventional war setting, with human and alien troop movements and the possibility of the players maybe being conscripted to fight on the front lines.

Skitter seems like it would be a blast, having the players running from overgrown ants. It is almost like the zombie scenario of the book as the ants aren't malicious, they just are out looking for food.

War Between Worlds was my number one before i read any of the scenarios, but dropped back because I was expecting the scenario to be more like what the Rising Tides scenario ended up being. Still has some potential for fun with the players running from flying saucers and little grey men with heat rays.

Brotherhood and Visages both would be fun, though as a GM, I think I would have a harder time running these as I'm not as good at the almost subtle apocalypse scenarios. I have a hard time pulling off the suspense of hidden threats. I think in the right hands both would make for some very excellent game play though.

For me, it would be as follows...

5. Skitter

4. Rising Tides

3. Brotherhood of Babylon

2. Visages

1. War between Worlds

My list:

1) Visages

1) Skitter

Both scenarios feel like they will work best small scale while still encompassing the global catastrophes. Plus, I am a big fan of the giant monster movies from the 1950s (Godzilla, Gamera, Gorgo, Them), and Skitter fits right into this.

3) War between worlds

This one I see taking place after the initial scenario, starting with the long term issues that arise

4) Brotherhood of Babylon

5) Rising Tides

1. War Between Worlds-I'm a sucker for cheezy 50's Scifi and "Mars Attacks" type stuff.

2. Brotherhood of Babylon-"V"/Conspiracy Illuminati Lizard Ppl. ftw! :P

3. Visages-I like Pod ppl., but I prefer a more John Carpenter's "The Thing"/"Who Goes There" type scenario where they're not just generic pod ppl, but can mutate and shape shift as well.

4. Rising Tides-Kind of "meh" over Atlantis Invading. Feels more like a prequel to "Waterworld" w/ a forceful "Birdemic"-esque environmental message thrown in and aliens. Might've been better if they threw in some Bermuda Triangle mythology as well and/or made the aliens a bit more Greco-Roman and maybe throw in a bit of Egyptian as well (due to the origins of the myth).

5. Skitter-Don't know why this is "alien." This feels more like a "mutated wildlife" scenario a la "Them!" This might be fun to mix w/ War Between World if you want to do a "Mars Attacks!" scenario and just re-skin the greys as the "Mars Attacks!" aliens. Ack ack ack ack ack! Still, I think this slot would've been better for a "The Thing"-esque scenario, despite being how similar it would be w/ Visages.

Also, look forward to combing some of these scenarios (In particular, "Brotherhood of Babylon") w/ the Cthulhu and/or Quetzalcoatl Scenarios of Wrath of Gods. Would love to see Quetzalcoatl/Kulkulkhan chew out the lizards for mistreating humanity and maybe see the Mayans fight off the aliens as they attempt to land their ships on top of their pyramids. :P

I'm looking forward to combining scenarios from the various books as well. No Room in Hell would be cool when combined with Revelation.

For me, it would be as follows...

5. Skitter

4. Rising Tides

3. Brotherhood of Babylon

2. Visages

1. War between Worlds

Rising tides after Skitter? Are you planning on drowning the ants? :)

Between books I'd pick Babylon and then have them summon theyr serpent god...

Maybe even as they are about to be defeated by a human strike force- But they come to late, the capstone is being placed on the 7th pyramid... and Set is free! Bwahahhahaha!

How about pod people who don't die unless you shoot them in the head?

Atlanteans is easy with Cthulhu, right? Either they are allies of the deep ones (or maybe one and the same, Militaristic order of Dagon, anyone?) or they are fleeing from Cthulhu.

Atlanteans is easy with Cthulhu, right? Either they are allies of the deep ones (or maybe one and the same, Militaristic order of Dagon, anyone?) or they are fleeing from Cthulhu.

Fleeing, maybe. But it's just the aesetic to me doesn't mesh with Atlantis. If they really wanted to do "Atlantean" aliens I think they should've made them more along the lines of Greco-Romans and/or Egyptians in appearance a la Stargate. They just really feel and look more like a re-hash of the War Between Worlds aliens to me; just with gills slapped on them. Plus, their tech kinda clashes with that of the Deep Ones, who tend to be very low tech and/or the Star Spawn, which despite being space travellers, usually don't run around w/ beam guns and the like when compared to the Elder Things, The Mi-Go, the Great Race of Yith, etc...

what I tought of when I read Rising Tides:

item7885.1.jpg

They just really feel and look more like a re-hash of the War Between Worlds aliens to me; just with gills slapped on them. Plus, their tech kinda clashes with that of the Deep Ones, who tend to be very low tech and/or the Star Spawn, which despite being space travellers, usually don't run around w/ beam guns and the like when compared to the Elder Things, The Mi-Go, the Great Race of Yith, etc...

Well they have mech in Cthulhutech* (but then again everyone does) but I get what you mean.

file1-8.jpg

* Also the deep ones had no clue of the location of R'lyeh! Dafuq?

what I tought of when I read Rising Tides:

item7885.1.jpg

They just really feel and look more like a re-hash of the War Between Worlds aliens to me; just with gills slapped on them. Plus, their tech kinda clashes with that of the Deep Ones, who tend to be very low tech and/or the Star Spawn, which despite being space travellers, usually don't run around w/ beam guns and the like when compared to the Elder Things, The Mi-Go, the Great Race of Yith, etc...

Well they have mech in Cthulhutech* (but then again everyone does) but I get what you mean.

file1-8.jpg

* Also the deep ones had no clue of the location of R'lyeh! Dafuq?

Yes, but that was one of my minor quibbles w/ the Marvel Multi-verse, the way Atlantis was portrayed. Again, I prefered something more along the lines of some sort of techno-magic that had a more Greco-Roman and/or Egyptian Feel. Soemthing that better fit the tone of the stories of Plato and later authors. Having the aliens putter around on something that looked more like human reverse-engineering from WWII or the 50's kind of ruined that for me. Something like Disney's Atlantis or this movie would've been a better fit imho. Still very high tech and yet still had an ancient feel that felt right and wasn't a mere re-skin of our own tech and vehicles.

Edited by Brother Malachai

I plan to reskin both Skitter and Tides.

Even if I use the alien ants AS giant ants, you got to describe them more like Starship Trooper bugs/Tremors movie or embrace the 1950s cheese.

For Atlantians, I'll go with describing their tech as biotech. Things are symbiotic and you don't know they are wearing environment suits until you kill them and the suit sloughs off. that will make them seem more alien and players less liable to take their stuff.

Even if I use the alien ants AS giant ants, you got to describe them more like Starship Trooper bugs/Tremors movie or embrace the 1950s cheese.

For Atlantians, I'll go with describing their tech as biotech. Things are symbiotic and you don't know they are wearing environment suits until you kill them and the suit sloughs off. that will make them seem more alien and players less liable to take their stuff.

Would be cool if the atlantians looked like the Koralon from VOID.

11504_Assault_araktons.jpg

img3d759c330ea8f.jpg

I rather like this idea tbh. I could see a group of ancients developing techno-organics as an alternative to the inorganic tech the other ancient societies and modern society uses nowadays.