Ditching Dodge

By cpteveros, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

You could make every attack an opposed roll, and dodge giving bonus to it, and step aside being some kind of reroll once per turn.

You could make every attack an opposed roll, and dodge giving bonus to it, and step aside being some kind of reroll once per turn.

How would that work with overwatch ?

Overwatch currently ends if the overwatching character dodges.

This is such a big change that I'd only make it before campaign start. So I'd have no problem with telling my players that step aside has become useless, thus they shouldn't take it.

This is exactly how I run dodge in my game and let me tell you, a talent that allows a re-roll once per turn is never useless. In fact it is very, very powerful.

Indeed, I don't see how one reroll is not usefull.

For example, dodge gives statics penalties to attackers (-5 to test or -10, we should run the maths to know which is best). and you can buy it multiple times (up to something like AG bonus).

And step aside make it that once in every turn, you can decide that one ennemy must reroll a successful test.

This penalty is only considered when the player knows of the shooter.

But anyway, I prefer it the actual way.

So tedious.

So tedious.

My opinion too, I better like how the system work, but I answered to the thing asked.

If you've got a better option, feel free to answer to the topic ;)

Dunno about tedious but that is the system SR 5e uses just as an example. And my combats (note I play RT mostly so ymmv) have actually gone down now that people have stopped wondering which attack they should or should not dodge.

We use Roll20 in my group mind you so shooting at someone takes quite literally a few seconds and three buttons, but hey to each his own.

Like Vorzakk I was totally on board with opposed dodge until I read the analysis, and I also don't remember any of the specifics. Short version someone better at statistics than most people (including the beta's authors) ran the numbers and showed very convincingly that opposed dodge is a bad idea for reasons that are non-obvious.

Fair enough, I vaguely remember those posts too. I'm guessing that the beta forums are long dead though. It'd be interesting if anyone did fancy running the numbers again though, as I'm fully prepared to be proved wrong on this.

The Beta Forums are still available:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/forum/329-dark-heresy-second-edition-beta/