Dwarfs and Riding

By valvorik, in WFRP Rules Questions

Dwarfs not dwarves of course.

I could swear I saw something someplace stating the dwarves never ride horses. They travel on foot or by coach or cart. Unlike halflings, they do not ride ponies.

But now I can't find the source for this - does this strike a chord with anyone?

Edited by valvorik

I know that in the dwarf armybook for warhammer fantasy battles they have no troops on horses, or mounted on anything for that matter. So I have assumed that they do not ride, I cannot recall if the armybook states any reason for this.

It is in Omens of War, in the chapter about horses (in a side box if I remember correctly).

Edit: Page 43.

Edited by PadreBoniface

The Dwarf in my campaign has dedicated his life to successfully riding a horse. With an Agility of 2 and the misfortune I keep piling on him he has yet to succeed, but he keeps trying and I keep having NPCs mock him for it.

A dwarf Engineer rides a gyrocopter. My dwarf coachman rode a coach, a wagon and a cart.

Why didn't the engineer guild invent the bicycle?

I really disliked the Mountain Goats/rams of LOTR.

It is in Omens of War, in the chapter about horses (in a side box if I remember correctly).

Edit: Page 43.

Thanks! I was thinking I had imagined it and hadn't looked, d'oh, in the source for riding rules etc.

No horses nor even ponies (the mount of halflings).

The book makes it clear the desire not to ride is because they probably look ridiculous riding and, to be fair, their weapons are made for low-center of balance swinging not lances or swords. From reading it I get the impression Dwarves can completely ride war ponies if they so choose, and they will be expected to take up the Slayer Oath afterwards to mitigate the shame to their family.