WFRP Intro/Overview Video Posted

By ynnen, in WFRP Archived Announcements

Redcrow said:

Something I found somewhat amusing about the video is how in one instance the narrators are describing the Old World as a Dark 'n Grim place while the video shows the rainbow colored dice and brightly painted cards.

Here I must agree a bit with you. The colors of the dice are a bit disappointing and I hope FFG will produce some versions of nastier looking dice...

I had the same feeling when I bought Chaos in the Old World, so I went to a dice store (I was at Essen Games Fair) and bought a set of dice for each God in the game, with matching colors (that was 20 dice of 4 different types, but now my game looks even more awesome; I specially like the purple dice I bought for Slaanesh)... for WFRP3, at least for the moment, it will be difficult to do the same thing as the dice are not standard.

So, I think it's a pity that you have such nice art in the cards and books and then the dice look too glossy... FFG, please consider the dice of your games also when designing them as they do influence the mood of the game... And I repeat here that I would love, and pay extra, to get a "Collector's WFRP3 dice" with a grimmier design... Nurgle's dice should not be sticky, though, no need to make them too real... gui%C3%B1o.gif

grim and dark are attributes of the setting. I can't see a way in which the narrative grim darkness of the setting is affected by the colours of the dice. I play warhammer with white blue and red dice - bright colours - does that make the warhammer world less dark and grim? i don't think it does. Some of the criticisms here are fair points and points of opinion, but this one - really i don't see the issue.

that said however - some nice dirty looking dice sets would still be a cool thing.

the setting is the thing, i personally thought that the mechanics in WFRP2 were as close to D&D as green ronin could get without switching to d20 wholesale, it felt clunky - I playtested it and was disappointed, WFRP1 had much more freedom when it came to the mechaics but still bought it. FFG have developed a dice system with MASSIVE narrative potential - note the word potential - if all you want to do is read the successes and make the rest up yourself - go for it. But if you want to look at the dice, and see the resutls on all the different dice and use that to describe the scene - the system is built for that too - it's beautifully adaptive and perhaps the most elegant dice roll mechanic outside of White Wolf's storyteller system.

the video showed me that's a direction they are moving in, Storytelling - and moving away from the heavily constrained D&D style of gaming. For me that's a great thing. they've created a system that can be adapted easily, without mental arithmetic needed for adjusting things etc. The cards are a great play aid, but you don't need to use them if you don't want to.

I've always seen everything about an RPG as being about taking the released material as a starting point, and then taking the game where you want it to go - you don't think FFG's version of the background and setting is dark enough - change it, add your own stuff. don't like the cards - don't use them, create your own character sheets where you can write your action rules.

it's all about options - and adapting the game to you - i don't know a single gaming group that doesn't house-rule the games they play. Or make small changes to the setting and systems to suit their group. Great thing about this system is that it can work for pretty much every style. I've never liked the percentile system, i feel it's an old and clunky mechanism I used it because it's what was offered, and the rest of my group didn't mind it (me being the only game mechanics obsessive in my group lol).

there's always going to be arguments on both sides, i'm looking forward to this edition, it looks like the rest of my (currently disbanded) group are too, if it gets us back round the table and having fun (which i think it will) then FFG have done a marvellous job.

Any change is going to bring new people, lose old supporters, and have current players who welcome it with open arms. You can't please everyone, nor should they try to - what they have done, is an attempt to move roleplaying as a hobby in a new direction. They're going to lose people as they go along, and they're going to pick up some new people. I like the direction - the emphasis on accomodating creativity and storytelling and providing aids for that - i like that a lot.

that comes from someone however, who has always been unimpressed by most official RPG material beyond the core sets. My GM comes up with better adventures for our group than the released ones, and our own house rules and additions are almost always better than the supplements.

we can only wait and see :)

Yeah, my problem is that I agree with the philosophy expressed in the video (i.e. that roleplaying should be about storytelling and narrative stuff, not extensive mechanical stuff a la D&D) but I'm unconvinced as of yet that they've pulled this off in execution

phobiandarkmoon said:

Yeah, my problem is that I agree with the philosophy expressed in the video (i.e. that roleplaying should be about storytelling and narrative stuff, not extensive mechanical stuff a la D&D) but I'm unconvinced as of yet that they've pulled this off in execution

I can understand a bit your doubts (expressed by many others in the forums).

My case, after having played D&D4, I also would not like to have the same experience for WFRP...

That's the reason I think some of the changes they have made, specially the one where they abstract the combat distances will help a lot in avoiding too much mechanics creeping into the game...

On the other hand, I am a bit fearful of the action cards. I have seen D&D4 powers destroy most of the RPG during a combat and I hope the action cards in WFRP3 won't be as obtrusive...

The dice pool should be a way to inspire extra RPG during combat, as now it should be very simple for someone to explain what they want to achieve and the GM immediately adding bonuses/penalties to the roll just by adding some dice to the pool... I think this will be a main positive point to having more RPG interaction in combats.

This video doesn't provide information.

DeathFromAbove said:

This video doesn't provide information.

It doesn't provide anything new for those of us who've been following every teaser, but for someone who hasn't it has a lot of stuff - and FFG needs to make easily accesible promotional stuff for the masses as well as in depth spoilers for those of us who spend too much time on their boards (and we've been given pretty **** many spoilers).

ragnar63 said:

I' m afraid what people don't seem to understand or don't care to undertand is that V2, like V1, was dead commercially. Supplements for Ulthuan, Tilea, Estalia or Lustria were never going to pay FFG's bills to Games Workshop. Once Black Industries gave up on a profitable game, a new edition was probably a necessity for any licensee

BI didnt dro[ the game because it was not profitable, they were shut down by there parent company for not being profitable enough on the release weekend of what is now one of the highest selling RPG's.

Its a very important distinction to make

sweet video!! very cool!!!!

Artaxerxes said:

ragnar63 said:

I' m afraid what people don't seem to understand or don't care to undertand is that V2, like V1, was dead commercially. Supplements for Ulthuan, Tilea, Estalia or Lustria were never going to pay FFG's bills to Games Workshop. Once Black Industries gave up on a profitable game, a new edition was probably a necessity for any licensee

BI didnt dro[ the game because it was not profitable, they were shut down by there parent company for not being profitable enough on the release weekend of what is now one of the highest selling RPG's.

ragnar63 said:

Artaxerxes said:

ragnar63 said:

You obviously didn't read my post, as I didn't say it was not profitable, I said they gave up on a profitable game, which is a recurring problem with Games Workshop and its subsiduaries.

If you'd said GW gave up the licence there wouldnt be a problem, BI was shut down and given the bums rush rather than having any choice in the matter which is what your post originally said

I have watched the video like 3 or 4 times, and find it amazing. I have emailed it to all my rpg buddies as well as my players. They respond well to the video as well.

it`s right the video don`t contain much information about the rules and such, but it does offer the scope in which FFG aims at. I found the interview with the designers and Jay Little to be very enlightining, and the artwork is staggering beautiful. I am more enthusiastic now than before, yet I am very anxious to know more about the campaign they are planning. Project; Thunderbolt, seems like a nonsense name for a campaign, hopefully its just a working title.

this thuesday I will pre-purchase Basic set, Tool-kit and a set of dice. I have decided.

Bought the game last night, haven't run it, just reading. I'm really impressed. I'm a noob to the genre, having tried a little of DnD 3.5, then 4e, plus some Dark Heresy and Call of Cthulhu.

WFRP is what I want from an RPG: broad categories for resolution, mechanics that support story telling while remaining somewhat invisible, info out front (cards, chits, tracks) rather than hidden in books. I especially love the dice mechanic. Yes, the math has been worked out behind the scenes, but is wonderfully hidden by symbolic dice...rather artistic! Dice are archetypal, they have a past, a tradition, they're associated with fate, chance, the gods (and math, of course). To use dice overtly in a symbolic, interpretative way that supports roleplaying is an excellent design touch, one that really appeals to me.

Stance: love this mechanism. It gives static characteristics (Strength, Toughness, etc.) a wonderful dynamic that I find flexible and congruent with psychology.

My 2 cents, thanks.