Is the beginner game worth it if I plan to buy the core book?

By LordUrban, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

Like the title says would having both be redundant?

I say yes. 1 set of dice and better examples of how players build characters, and GMs build adventures than is in the core book.

Depends. Have you played the other games? Are you familiar with the rules of the game outside of Force and Destiny? If not, the beginner game is a nice starting point, as it will ease you into the game; you also get a set of dice, which is, well, necessary.

All the beginner adventures are a great deal IMHO. You get a pack of dice, and there are free PDF followups on the support pages that extend the adventure by triple or more.

It's dice (that you WILL need extra of) plus several accessories: tutorial of play, an adventure, fold-out maps, a couple sheets of cardboard pawns.

I've played RPGs before and I still bought all 3. But I may be a poor example.

In your opinion, which one is the best and next best?

It depends, for brand new RPGers, AoR works the best. It does the job of stepping you into the system one piece at a time, but doesn't confuse you with simultaneous objectives. It's pretty linear, but that's not a bad thing for folks brand new to the hobby.

For players who are just new to the system, Edge of the Empire is pretty good. It has a good premise and not as linear. Plus, EotE is a very broad setting, which can appeal to the most people.

Personally, I just like the Force and Destiny setting the most. I'm a Jedi Fan-boy at heart.

I too have played RPGs before and I still bought all three - but I'm a fiend for all things FFG.

Edited by Desslok

On another note, how do the other beginner adventures hold up if your group has already done one of them? I own the EotE box, and the adventure feels like a tutorial, which is good for a beginner box, but it's not something I'd necessarily enjoy repeating. If you've run more than one with a group, does it still feel fresh and fun or is it just the same thing painted in a different color?

You're not really intended to repeat adventures in roleplaying games, the point is to move on, either using other bought adventures or building your own.

Download the free PDF followup adventure to the beginner boxes, they are more "normal" adventures and not tutorials. You can find them on the support page for the product.

I might not have been clear enough. I meant if a group has played the EotE beginner box adventure, does the AoR or FaD beginner adventures offer less excitement as a result of being too similar or simplified. I imagine it might also not make much sense to have them keep their existing characters if they do play through them, suddenly finding themselves involved in a rebel or jedi conflict.

Yeah, I'd say they still have value. I wound up running the AoR one (well, kind of - I embedded it into a much larger game) and the F&D one plus the PDF later on. Mind you, I had to dial up the difficulties in both and some of the structure was moved around to make it a little less railroady, but they both still had value.

Heck, I'm thinking of stripmining the AoR box again for ideas (well really just the map) and the PDF for followup, since the PDF was never touched.

So yeah, you can get milage from all three.

I have to agree with the yes they are worth it crowd. Maps, dice, tokens, 6 example characters, and an adventure are definitely worth the extra $15 you'd end up paying. if you buy a dice pack to play with the core book.

I personally bought all 3 beginner boxes, because if there is one thing I have learned in my many years of playing RPG's too many dice are never a bad thing.