Not Impressed with consumergrade trait

By Marinealver, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

Netrunner as a cardgame in which you build your own deck deck space becomes a precious and finite commodity. No doubt very useful cards will have a full splash of 3 the maximum number of cards in your deck. Not so good cards will be splashed in no more than a pair or even a single copy of the card. There are a few cards that are limited 1 per deck

So here come consumergrade which has a limit of 6 per deck. I am not thinking this is a good thing as it ends up taking twice as much card slots as other cards. Likewise they have a cumulative effect which means more is better but as far as consistency I think thinning out your deck with consumergrade cards would not be a winning strategy.

Maybe just because we only have seen one of these cards, but in order for a card to justify having 6 of them they have to be good almost to the point of broken. What are your thoughts?

I think that the consumer grade cards will open up new design space for Damon Stone to explore. With the first two cycles being removed at the end of the year they will need to find something else to replace them with and this seems like it could be a good place to start exploring

Think about how hard it is to balance a piece of cardboard that is both worth including at all, synergizes with itself, and not rising to the point of being broken when there are 5 or 6 in play?

Answer: bloody difficult. Quite naturally you're going to see something whose effect is quite modest at 2-3 copies.

Also, you've seen one out of six and that was enough for you to start a thread "not impressed with consumer grade trait." Premature?

That's some pretty hard criticism for an effect that we've seen on exactly two cards.

I actually think they synergize quite well with a couple of effects. Think about Replicator. That's a pretty quick way to pull things out of your deck and increase the chance of drawing more good stuff. Especially with the defensive nature of the 550 BMI card. I like any new design space being opened up.

I think that the consumer grade cards will open up new design space for Damon Stone to explore. With the first two cycles being removed at the end of the year they will need to find something else to replace them with and this seems like it could be a good place to start exploring

Actually, they won't be removed until the first pack of the eighth cycle. That is a long way away.