Fanning and Stub Revolvers

By Varnias Tybalt, in Dark Heresy House Rules

Your rules for fanning need to address two points:

1) This action requires two hands. As written, you simply can't use an off hand weapon, but in reality you can't fan if you only have one arm.

2) AFAICT, you don't currently have a restriction in place to prevent fanning in melee. I'd strongly consider putting such a restriction into place.

I'd also suggest that rather than a new Talent, perhaps fanning could be a specialized use of Sleight of Hand?

HappyDaze said:

1) This action requires two hands. As written, you simply can't use an off hand weapon, but in reality you can't fan if you only have one arm.

As wierd as it may sound, there is actually a shooting technique called "sliding" which is actually used with only one hand. When you're fanning a revolver you're holding the gun with one hand and holding down the trigger while you strike the hammer repeatedly with the other hand. But when you're "sliding" it, you use your thumb on the hand which you hold the gun and you pull back the hammer repeatedly just enough for it to swing back and strike the primer of the buller rather than the hammer being secured in the locked position.

And I've seen some shooters who can slide wih a revolver nearly as fast as they can fan it. So I think we might have to take this into consideration. Granted that it wouldn't technically be called "fanning" anymore if you're sliding it, but it would be safe to say that both imply advanced shooting techniques.

Unknown said:

2) AFAICT, you don't currently have a restriction in place to prevent fanning in melee. I'd strongly consider putting such a restriction into place.

That's certainly a viable option. Gonna have to think this through a little.

HappyDaze said:

I'd also suggest that rather than a new Talent, perhaps fanning could be a specialized use of Sleight of Hand?

That is an interesting idea, but I have one problem with it. And that is I'd rather not complicate the combat too much by replacing certain skills with other only to be able to pull off special tricks. After all, Ballistic Skill is supposed to be the one used when shooting, so how would you go about using Sleight of Hand instead? Just roll for Sleight rather than BS when you're trying to hit something with a fanning action? Or roll Sleight to see if you're eligable to roll a subsequent BS too?

Of course, this might just be me interprating Ballistic Skill an it's interaction with Talents a little differently. The way I see it, Ballistic Skill isn't just how good you are at aiming, shooting and hitting, but also your familiarity with firearms in general (such as knowing when to adjust the sights, knowing how to work with the effects of recoil, knowing how to hold the gun properly instead of incorrectly etc.) based on which weapon training talents you have of course. And the talents (other than the weapon training talents) represent the "special tricks" you can pull off that shooters normally aren't trained in how to pull off.

But that's my interpretation of it, and I don't know if everyone agree completely with it.

Varnias Tybalt said:

Of course, this might just be me interprating Ballistic Skill an it's interaction with Talents a little differently. The way I see it, Ballistic Skill isn't just how good you are at aiming, shooting and hitting, but also your familiarity with firearms in general (such as knowing when to adjust the sights, knowing how to work with the effects of recoil, knowing how to hold the gun properly instead of incorrectly etc.) based on which weapon training talents you have of course. And the talents (other than the weapon training talents) represent the "special tricks" you can pull off that shooters normally aren't trained in how to pull off.

But that's my interpretation of it, and I don't know if everyone agree completely with it.

No, the rules actually back that interpretation up - afterall, clearing a jammed gun takes a BS test for most people. I tend to take it a step further, applying the non-proficiency penalty on tests to unjam a gun as well as attack rules. Afterall, a misfire with an autopistol and a meltagun failing to ignite are two very different problems, requiring different knowledge to resolve...