Strategize and Dominate order placement rules

By hwknight, in Forbidden Stars

So, i just played a game with a buddy and we got into a debate regarding 'Strategize' and/or 'Dominate' order placement rules. The rules state that a 'Strategize' or 'Dominate' order requires friendly units in the active system in order to play. However, does this allow a player to place either of these orders in a system without any friendly units, simply to block another player's orders?

My friend maintains that though you're not allowed to resolve the 'Strategize' or 'Dominate' order, you may place the token in any system, simply to block another player. I maintain that the rules are a prerequisite for placement i.e. unless special conditions apply, such as the Eldar Farseer Order Upgrade, you may not even place a strategize order in an area without friendly units, even with the intention to block.

Yes, you may PLACE any order token IN a system containing at least one of your unit and/or structure, OR, in a system that is directly ADJACENT to that one. How ever, depending on the type of an order you will need to see if can ACTIVATE said order or not. This lends to a bit of trickery and tactical play :)

hwknight could you clarify what you mean by "block" - because if you mean placing an order so as to stop future orders being put in the system, that can't happen. An opponent can always put an order on top of yours. Then again perhaps I miss your point??

Thanks, but I fear I haven't made myself clear. Allow me to illustrate:

2-player game

3X2 setup

Me = Chaos

Him = Space Marines

We're on the 8th round, neither of us had any objective tokens, so the victor would be the player who controlled

the most planets. At the start of the round, I controlled 3 of the 4 planets in the middle of the board. He was preparing to perform orbital strikes and 'drop pods' (he played with Space Marines) on my worlds to steal control. My plan was to intercept his ships, with my own, before he could perform an orbital strike and route or destroy his fleet.

Here's the problem...

I had no ships, so my last order was a 'Deploy' order. I placed 1 'Deploy' order on the tile where my factory was, to buy ships. My opponent had NO friendly, worlds or structures in that tile, or the adjacent tiles. My subsequent orders were 'Advance' orders, placed adjacent to my 'Deploy' order tile to advance my ships and attack where he was planning to move his. He placed all 4 of his orders on top of mine, including my 'Deploy' order stopping (blocking) me from building ships. I assumed that the order he placed on top of my 'Deploy' orders in the tile where he had no friendly MUST have been an 'Advance' order, since as far as I'm aware, 'Advance' is the only order that you may place in a system that you have NO friendly units, worlds or structures.

During the operation phase, he reveals his orders in such a way that the first orders he reveals only allows me to play my 'Advance' orders (All 4 of his tokens were on top of mine so I could only play in the order that he decided). Since I had no units to advance the orders were wasted and he managed to take control of 2 of my planets and putting himself in the lead and essentially winning the game. For his final move, he revealed the 'Strategize' order, on top of my 'Deploy' order. He admitted that he played the 'Strategize' order simply to block me from building ships. I claimed that he couldn't place a 'Strategize' order in a tile which he had no friendly units. He then claimed that he could just as well have played a 'Dominate' order in it's place. I claim that that wasn't possible either since you also need units in the active tile to place it, same for a 'Deploy' order. Essentially, I maintain that he would be allowed to block my 'Deploy' order, but only by placing an 'Advance' order on top of it, thus not allowing him to 'Advance' across both centre tiles and claim my worlds. If he's right, I believe it would fall under the cheap and dirty category and would end up just killing the game; You could place 'Strategize' tokens on top of your opponents' 'Deploy' tokens every round making the game extremely frustrating.

TLDR

Do the prerequisites of requiring friendly units or worlds in the system you are placing a 'Strategize', 'Dominate' or 'Deploy' order only apply to order resolution (i.e. you're free to PLACE ANY order token on ANY tile, but require friendly units to resolve it) or do they apply to placement too (You CANNOT even place S,D or D order tokens on tiles without friendly units... Unless you have something like the Eldar 'Farseer' order upgrade)

Edited by hwknight

Okay I am still an official noob but this one's come up in some of our earlier games so I think I can throw some thoughts out there eh...

I just looked through the rule books and I can't find where it states it "specifically"...
In the Rules Reference Guide however, on the bottom right of page 9, under "Order Tokens", it says...
"...players take turns placing order tokens facedown in order token boxes in systems."

So, by default, if they wanted to specify, they could have typed "...in order token boxes with your units in a system..." or something to that affect.
Since they didn't, it's implied that you indeed, can place an order marker on any system regardless of presence and the ramifications are as follows...

"...the cheap and dirty category and would end up just killing the game.."
Well, think about it like this. In order to resolve that order marker, you must have some presence either in that system or nearby.
Meaning, if you plop a token in a "block" (or some people call it a "cap") maneuver, you're basically surrendering an "action" because you can't do anything with that right.
It's only used to delay your opponents actions or, totally frustrate them by causing them to resolve orders in a "less than desirable" fashion, as you saw huh.

The key to remember is that, it sucks when it happens to you but it's all too awesome when you do it to them. War's sorta "fair" like that eh.
War can also be cheap and dirty and some factions can play this way and prosper, others can't.
Another key is that if you put too many eggs in one basket, it is all too tempting for you opponent to block your stack and take his three (or four) orders before you.
Another facet is that the first player (with initiative) gets to place his order tokens first, and resolve first, but the second (or last) player, gets to trump the pile with his block. A clear reason why being second (or last) can have some benefits.
Another way to look at it is, do what you need to do but spread out your tokens. You almost never want too many tokens in one spot because it makes you ripe for exploitation.

Think of it like this, if your opponent has fought and bested you so much, that you're for all intents and purposes, "backed into a corner" and you have no ability to spread your markers...
Well you're stuck man, you're in a phone booth and one quick stab is all it'll take to finish you.
If you're desperate and simply "must" have that one planet, well you're going to be broadcasting your intents loud and clear right. Your opponent knows this, the commentators know this, crikey, the Eldar watching from seven systems over know this, you're not hiding your goal at all...
You deserve to get blocked.
'Tis a tough game and I experienced this many times as my twelve year old son beats me constantly. It doesn't break the game and actually adds to the flavor, to the strategies and to the heartbreaks (and victories).
Keep playin' and learning, conquer the Stars people..!

As Doctorius said, the only stipulation for order token placement is whether or not you have a unit or building in the system or in an adjacent system. Whether or not you intend to execute that order (which would require a presence within the system itself at the time of the order execution) or just put it on top of your event card deck is completely up to you.

I had no ships, so my last order was a 'Deploy' order. I placed 1 'Deploy' order on the tile where my factory was, to buy ships. My opponent had NO friendly, worlds or structures in that tile, or the adjacent tiles . .... He placed all 4 of his orders on top of mine, including my 'Deploy' order stopping (blocking) me from building ships. I assumed that the order he placed on top of my 'Deploy' orders in the tile where he had no friendly MUST have been an 'Advance' order, since as far as I'm aware, 'Advance' is the only order that you may place in a system that you have NO friendly units, worlds or structures.

The critical bit is bolded here. Your opponent couldn't do what he did, because he can only place orders in tiles containing his units or structures, or in tiles adjacent to where he has units/structures. From your description, he didn't have any units/structures in the tiles adjacent to your factory tile, therefore he was not in a position to place any orders in your factory tile. He can't place any orders in remote tiles.

Note that you can place any order facedown in any adjacent tile to your occupied tile, even if you know full well that you won't be able to use that order when the time comes. However the option is there: place a dominate first. If you want to be able to use it "fully", then place an advance order over it to give you the option to move into the system. However it is perfectly legal to just place the dominate order to screw up your opponent's planning, knowing you wont be able to use it.

When putting an order token down, there are no restrictions on which type of order can be placed. If you can place an advance order, you could instead have placed a dominate, deploy, or strategize.

Okay, I'm still a bit confused and I'm sorry if I added to the confusion earlier...
I thought you could plop an order token "anywhere" regardless of whether you had a "presence" in a system or adjacent, simply to block or "cap" an opponent.
But you're saying that if you don't have any units or structures in a system or any adjacent to that system, you can't even place an order marker there?

I'm not questioning your knowledge but is there a quote we can see in the rules book somewhere I must've overlooked?
My son and I have been havin' this argument for like, ever and we can't seem to agree without physical proof in front of us sometimes.
Thanks your helps, I apologize again, I'm a noober.

No problem!

In the Learn to Play book, bottom of page 5 under "important".

Also the main rulebook. Page 10, "planning phase", first bullet point.

You can place any type of order you like, but the restrictions about where the orders can go must apply.

Edited by Patriarch

Hey thanks whole bunches for clearin' that up Patriarch!
I don't know how I overlooked this rule, I don't know how many times we've had to pause our games and argue...
I can say that I play mostly two player games (with my son) and with our forces spread out, we're "usually" near a system with friendlies.
Still...
I suppose I have to find some flavor text or thematic explanation eh...
If you don't have enough of a presence "nearby" a system, there's nothing you can do to thwart your opponent's plans. But get a little closer and there's some sabotage, some cyber attacks. Makes sense I guess.
Thanks to all, conquer the Stars people..!