New expansion with the release of Starcraft II?

By Hawknight, in StarCraft

Anyone heard anything about an expansion being released with the release of the new Starcraft PC game?

Let them make Broodwar. I don't think there will be a SC II expansion; as I see it, that would be a whole different game.

Agreed. Based on what I know about StarCraft II, they do away with a lot of the pre-existing units in favor of new ones. FFG can't very well do that in a boardgame.

Also, you can only have so many different units in the boardgame without requiring different mechanics.

The original Starcraft and Brood War are already tried and tested to be awesome. Starcraft II, while probably good (despite the fact I won't be buying it due to Blizzards stupid "let's make it three games that you have to buy instead of one" move), has yet to be proven.

For now, I'd rather any expansion to the board game be based off the tried and true version :)

No, well, that's an act of service from Blizzard. They have this HUGE and EPIC story to tell, and it was totally IMPOSSIBLE to include it in one game. It was NECESSARY to make two addons with the other campaigns, each costing about 50$. It COULDN'T BE DONE any other way, you have to understand that. That are no economical issues, this is just SURVICE TO THE CUSTOMER.

Do I have to state the above is sarcastic? I think not.

Stefan said:

No, well, that's an act of service from Blizzard. They have this HUGE and EPIC story to tell, and it was totally IMPOSSIBLE to include it in one game. It was NECESSARY to make two addons with the other campaigns, each costing about 50$. It COULDN'T BE DONE any other way, you have to understand that. That are no economical issues, this is just SURVICE TO THE CUSTOMER.

How do you know each add-on will cost 50$ ?

The first will probably cost 50$, but I guess the other two will be around 30$ (I want to emphasize the word guess here).

Stefan said:

I was about to say... "You can't be serious about that..."

Raviv said:

How do you know each add-on will cost 50$ ?

The first will probably cost 50$, but I guess the other two will be around 30$ (I want to emphasize the word guess here).

Unless I've misheard, they aren't going to be "add-ons", but each will be a standalone game. IE, one is the Protoss campaign, one is the Terran campaign, and one is the Zerg campaing. I can't imagine them NOT all costing the same amount. Maybe they won't cost $50 each, but since that's the average MSRP of games right now, it wouldn't surprise me.

But even if they only cost $30 each, that would be $90 to buy what basically SHOULD have been a single game.

But that saves me money, I guess, because I've made the decision not to buy ANY of them. I won't support stupid marketing decisions. I doubt I'm the only one, too. But then again, maybe Blizzard won't care because they'll make up what money they lost from me by the jacked up price that others will pay.

Granted, when it eventually comes out as a discount BattleChest type thing, maybe I'll buy it then.

I fear I will buy it nonetheless, the Starcraft-Nerd I once was and hopefully am again to become ^^

Here is one thing I've noticed about Blizzard:

Their StarCraft campaigns ended happily, with the Overmind destroyed, and the Protoss and Terrans victorious. The next expansion ended with the villians on top, necessitating a further expansion.

Their WarCraft III campaigns ended happily, with the Burning Legion defeated, and the Night Elves, Orcs, and Humans virctorious. The next expansion ended with the villians on top, necessitating a further expansion.

I haven't actually completed either of these campaigns, so I could be wrong about some of it. But that is what I've gathered.

Interesting, isn't it? happy.gif

Well, why killing the cow while it gives milk? How interesting are stories where the good guys win in an instant? ^^

I don't wanna buy new big boxes. For me expansions will do the job.

According to Corey in my interview with him (do a search on www.fortressat.com ) Brood War is the only expansion currently planned for the game.

sigmazero13 said:

The original Starcraft and Brood War are already tried and tested to be awesome. Starcraft II, while probably good (despite the fact I won't be buying it due to Blizzards stupid "let's make it three games that you have to buy instead of one" move), has yet to be proven.

For now, I'd rather any expansion to the board game be based off the tried and true version :)

Huh? Where did you hear this?

If that's the case I wont be buying them.

They're gonna make SC2 three independent games