2 quick questions for a n00b

By jman5000, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

hey guys,

starting up my first 40k game this Friday, and I have what I think are totally obvious questions that I'll go duh with once I hear the answers. I'm sure it's because I've been reading the rules too much.

1. when/how do psykers pick a discipline? is it with each psy rating they gain, or is it only when they can purchase psychic power (thus the choice is either a new power or a new discipline?) or something else... I simply cannot seem to find it.

2. can tech-priests "control" servitors. for eg. if there is a gun servitor blocking the parties path, could the tech priest "jack into it" (for lack of a better term) or command it to either stand-down, or do something else? if possible, how would that work?

and a curiosity question. do most people play with maps and mini's, or using the imagination? if using the imagination (my preferred method) do all the combat fiddly bits ever get in the way?

Cheers,

J.

jman5000 said:

hey guys,

starting up my first 40k game this Friday, and I have what I think are totally obvious questions that I'll go duh with once I hear the answers. I'm sure it's because I've been reading the rules too much.

1. when/how do psykers pick a discipline? is it with each psy rating they gain, or is it only when they can purchase psychic power (thus the choice is either a new power or a new discipline?) or something else... I simply cannot seem to find it.

2. can tech-priests "control" servitors. for eg. if there is a gun servitor blocking the parties path, could the tech priest "jack into it" (for lack of a better term) or command it to either stand-down, or do something else? if possible, how would that work?

and a curiosity question. do most people play with maps and mini's, or using the imagination? if using the imagination (my preferred method) do all the combat fiddly bits ever get in the way?

Cheers,

J.

1) Look in te talents section under Psy Raiting 3 (or was it 4?) and your question shall be answered ;-)

2) This actually had come up in the past and sparked a bit of a thread as to what is and isn't possible and how such could and couldn't be done. You can find more HERE

3) Combat is left to our imagination alone in my group and it works just fine. The fiddly bits don't get in the way much as, for the most part, they become merely options that are never used -the Maneuver action would be one of them though there are many other tings I just can't come up with off the top of my head. Other then that, I simply clarified a few tings for my group, such as when you are and aren't engaged in melee as in the book it mentions being adjacent is wen your engaged, I just stated that if one character's swinging at another one and there's a chance they'll hit, they're engaged in melee. Simple. In fact, it's all a bit easer in the head as you can simply forget a lot of those odd little fiddly bits as they're only needed to make it work with minis.

Graver said:

1) Look in te talents section under Psy Raiting 3 (or was it 4?) and your question shall be answered ;-)

[/Quote]

smacks hand firmly on head. Thanks dude! I knew it was that obvious... never read to psy rating 3 or 4, because, well, he will be psy rating 1 and it never occured to me :)

Graver said:

2) This actually had come up in the past and sparked a bit of a thread as to what is and isn't possible and how such could and couldn't be done. You can find more HERE

Thanks for the link. my thoughts are inline with others. Binary chatter. Opposed tech-use between the tech-priest who created the servitor vs the tech-priest who is trying to "over ride" it temporarily... Think the task of rewriting it to serve me, that should take a long time... perhaps some kind of crafting...

Graver said:

3) Combat is left to our imagination alone in my group and it works just fine. The fiddly bits don't get in the way much as, for the most part, they become merely options that are never used -the Maneuver action would be one of them though there are many other tings I just can't come up with off the top of my head. Other then that, I simply clarified a few tings for my group, such as when you are and aren't engaged in melee as in the book it mentions being adjacent is wen your engaged, I just stated that if one character's swinging at another one and there's a chance they'll hit, they're engaged in melee. Simple. In fact, it's all a bit easer in the head as you can simply forget a lot of those odd little fiddly bits as they're only needed to make it work with minis.

Makes sense. I've had some bad experiences with role playing games that require mini's taking forever and a day. my default mode of play is very fast and sharp encounters.. I find having to distill to a battlemap takes a bit of that sharpness away... and that is totally my opinion and in no way saying anyone else does it wrong :)

Cheers, and thanks.

J.