A RUMOR of a new expansion!!

By diablo666, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

I don't own Cosmic Encounter, but I thought the base game was one of the smaller boxes (like the small box AH expansions.) Is that correct? If so I find it odd that an expansion would be a big box.... Just doesn't seem right somehow.

Given that both of the posters who heard this rumour about a new AH expansion are (against all reasonable odds) living in the same area and hearing the rumour from the same store owner, I think it's highly probable that this store owner is simply mistaken. I'm not saying he's deliberately lying, but I think he got his wires crossed somehow. As other have suggested, AH itself is being reprinted, so he probably saw that and mistook it for a new expansion.

As far as the two unknown boxes on the front page, I'm thinking the smaller (non-epic) one is probably Gears of War, which is still slated for Q4 '09 according to the upcoming page, despite apparently still being in the design phase. I don't see GoW being an epic box game, but I suspect it is one of the two unknowns.

Some other posters and I have discussed the mystery boxes in the Fantasy Flight Games subforum (or is it general) and the consensus is that the two other games will be new and unknown, and not games previously announced or hinted at. Gears of War and Planet Steam are most likely out, though with all the website secrecy about the Game of Thrones Adventure Game, that one is still a possibility,

I'm also holding out hope for a Akham-like game but in a different setting, such as fantasy, cyberpunk or detective. I truly think the Arkham engine is perfect for a series of rpg-like board games, and hope that FFG takes that direction at some point. I would probably buy every single one of them.

I don't own Cosmic Encounter, but I thought the base game was one of the smaller boxes (like the small box AH expansions.) Is that correct? If so I find it odd that an expansion would be a big box.... Just doesn't seem right somehow.

Cosmic Encounter is a 'medium' sized box game, ie. same saize as Arkham Horror.

I'm also holding out hope for a Akham-like game but in a different setting, such as fantasy, cyberpunk or detective. I truly think the Arkham engine is perfect for a series of rpg-like board games, and hope that FFG takes that direction at some point. I would probably buy every single one of them.

I'm with you on that, it would be much better for AH to branch out rather than add even more to what is already a massive game, small box expansions and card expansions (something like Runebound received) are the only things I would expect for the base game. Much more interested in stand-alone expansions or re-imaginings of the game. So here's to hoping for something fresh and new... although my current idea for something similar (on the Fan Creations forum) has only tumbleweeds for company! llorando.gif

Heh heh

Well, I got the solicition today for the Dice Sets looks to release next month, with a retail of around $9.99 for five dice, which is about par for Q Workshop dice (the company that makes the dice sets). Packaging looks nice, but will probably irk the same people who didn't like the propsed minis packaging.

It is possible this or something similar was the AH email the guy saw.

JerusalemJones said:

Well, I got the solicition today for the Dice Sets looks to release next month, with a retail of around $9.99 for five dice, which is about par for Q Workshop dice (the company that makes the dice sets). Packaging looks nice, but will probably irk the same people who didn't like the propsed minis packaging.

It is possible this or something similar was the AH email the guy saw.

You're probably right. We just wrapped up a second group order for custom dice through Chessex (I got 40 for $40) that look far better then FFGs offerings at a better price. You can see them on BGG.

Steve-O said:

Oh come on, Steve-O ; you definitely should give this game a try. It is pure good stuff. Impossible to play this game and not have big laughs with your party friends. Impossible, I mean it. You're all, like, making your tiny strategy, but can't help laughing at what's happening to the others, and yelling because of what they do to you. Great game !

Was there anything more specific than 'next month' for the dice? I want to get some of these to round out my custom dice from chessex for the times when you need the numbers on all faces.