Descent RTL dungeon questions: gold piles and end of level

By Galdred, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

There a re few points of rule I have not got yet, mostly concerning dungeons:

Do all the heroes get a new turn immediately after the OL has placed the monsters or does the OL get his turn? And if the heroes move immediately, does the OL get threats and cards at this time?

Is it possible to take a rest action in the portal zone of a dungeon?

Something else I am not sure about is the gold pile thingy: How do piles of gold work in RTL? Do they still provide 100 GP/hero? Does that change with campaign level?

And concerning lieutenants: Can they attack the heroes if they are in a city.

How do dark glyphs work in RTL (and in AoD): The OL choses the glyphs to replace with a dark glyph? Can he do so in the startin area with unactivated glyphs (the wording of the glyphs being chosen when a new area is revealed doesn't tell wether if works for the first one, but I assume it does).

Do all the heroes get a new turn immediately after the OL has placed the monsters or does the OL get his turn? And if the heroes move immediately, does the OL get threats and cards at this time?

The heroes get the first turn in each level. The Overlord collects threat and cards at the start of his turn, as normal.

Yes.

Something else I am not sure about is the gold pile thingy: How do piles of gold work in RTL? Do they still provide 100 GP/hero? Does that change with campaign level?

Individual heroes do not keep gold. Instead, it goes into a collective pool. Each gold pile puts 400 gold in this pool.

And concerning lieutenants: Can they attack the heroes if they are in a city.

Yes.

How do dark glyphs work in RTL (and in AoD): The OL choses the glyphs to replace with a dark glyph? Can he do so in the startin area with unactivated glyphs (the wording of the glyphs being chosen when a new area is revealed doesn't tell wether if works for the first one, but I assume it does).

They work the same in both cases. The Overlord pays for them at the start of the dungeon. Then, whenever he puts out an unactivated glyph onto the board, he may instead choose to play out one of the corrupted glyphs he has paid for facedown. That way, the heroes don't know what type it is until they activate it.

@Joram and @Fantasy Flight

You know, this guy knows the rules pretty well, maybe you should hire him to rewrite the rulebook into a more concise and readable one?

WITH all the FAQ info in it, plus all the other things that have been resolved here?

Course, that would eliminate half the traffic here to this forum...

Indeed! Thanks for the clarifications :)

Dungeon Levels
The Dungeon Level Setup rules on page 17 are
misleading. The Overlord should shuffle his deck and
draw a new hand only at the start of the first dungeon
level, not every level in a given dungeon.

So that means that the overlord does not get 3 extra cards either, correct?

Joram said:

The heroes get the first turn in each level. The Overlord collects threat and cards at the start of his turn, as normal.

Yes.

Joram's back! Just a clarification: The hero can declare a ready action before going into the portal- it will be discarded at the start of his next turn (which will be on the next level) and fatigue is restored. Once a hero is IN the portal, they can do nothing but await the end of the level (suspended animation if you will)

One other point of clarification: OL starts the first dungeon level with three OL cards in his hand.

The heroes take the first turn, then the OL begins his turn by drawing two OL cards and collecting 4 threat tokens. In essence, the OL begins his first turn in a dungeon with five OL cards in hand.

I think the question about the gold piles -- at least, a question that I have -- was really:

Given that the value of generic treasure chests increases with the campaign level, does the value of generic coin piles also increase? Or does it stay at 100 gp/hero (which, as mentioned, always works out to 400 gp)?

As it stands, coin piles are very valuable in the early Copper level, much less so in Gold. (Although honestly, 400 gp worth of potions is always useful.)

Youcould always change it to, say, four loot dice, much like after an encounter.

I searched for the words "gold pile" in the pdf-version of the RtL rulebook and got only one hit. It was in the Map Legend and simply showed the the gold pile tile with the words gold pile beneath it. In other words, no change in rules for gold piles. Checking the faq on the old boards may pay off. Pun intended.

Slev's suggestion might work for you, too.