Is something broken?

By RLogue177, in WFRP House Rules

I'm considering picking up the FFG WFRPG system. I'm wanting some more fantasy in my gaming table and I'm looking for alternatives from D&D and Pathfinder.

However, considering there's an entire section here devoted to house rules, I have to ask...

Is something wrong with the system? Is it drastically broken somehow?

Well, no new material is being actively published, so if there are things your players want to do that aren't supported by the books, this is a place to come up and ask for feedback. A big one for me is my players really want to go on a boat at some point, and there's no real information for that.

I'm not saying the system isn't broken or doesn't have its flaws. So far I haven't noticed anything egregious in my plays, but there are definitely complaints regarding how many components the book calls on you to use versus how many you want to use. However all FFG RPG forums have a House Rules section because it's a place for players to come and say "Look what I've done, how do you guys like that?" and we can all provide compliments, feedback or horrible trolling as appropriate.

What Erathia said. Mye group, for example, is playing norscans in the Chaos Wastes. Not a lot of rules for that in the official supplement.

The only thing "broken" about the system is a few actions that have errated cards available in PDF in this site and the fact that there might be a bit too many mechanics that get ignored (I'm looking at you, Party Sheet).

Here you have some Fantasy games which are great in my opinion and different from the typical D&D.

-The One Ring: A wonderful game (for me, right now, it the best in the market), fast paced and with a beautiful blend of narrative and mechanics. You have to like Middle Earth though. Not too many spells, so if your D&D players like to cast fire balls, this is not your game.

-Shadows of Esteren: A dark fantasy Call of Cthulhu style of game. Simple mechanics but a very good setting.

-Moue Guard: A fantasy setting where you play mice. Great and fast mechanics, but a bit focused on doing missions. It is very interesting to play from the world perspective of a mouse. No magic system at all.

-Ars Magica 5th edition: Great great game. You don't play with a single PC as in other games, but each player has more than one PC and you choose one or the other depending on the needs for the adventure. Combat is brutal and the magic system is endless but a bit complicated.

-Keltia: A nice game system set on the Arthurian myths and legends.

-Yggdrasill is the same as Keltia but set on Vikings.

-Aquelarre: A very dark fantasy game. Great one. It is in Spanish only, but a kick-starter has begun to translate it to English.

-Warhammer 2: A Dark fantasy game set in one of my favorite fantasy settings. Typically you won't play a hero, you will be an average Joe caught in the middle of greater plots trying to survive. The system is an evolution of BRP.

and well, there is Warhammer 3... I played it for quite some long time. In my opinion it was a nice experiment which set the successful new Star Wars line of games. But just that, an experiment with many good ideas but way too many flaws.

My group has been playing it for years now and still enjoys it.

All the initial haters "it's FFG it's a boardgame" were completely off base. It uses card mechanics to speed play and give some elegant solutions to things like "critical hits with interesting game effects without rolling on tables etc.".

As said, lots of games get houserules, gamers are addicted to that stuff and the system easily allows for it.

There are a couple of things that are "sticky" or don't work so well but they are not core mechanics, those are very solid and reflect modern game theory.

I think your biggest issue getting into it is the "on the boat" status of reprints and in particular dice. The dice mechanic is part of what rocks, its variability in "success with pain", "failure with boon" etc., and having to hack solutions to not having the official dice, while possible, is definitely suboptimal.