Critical Ship Damage

By venkelos, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

How do you get past Fire!? Yeah, it makes me feel a bit dumb to need to ask, but there it is. On Ship Combat, it says if you score a Critical Hit, roll 1d5. That means, no matter what you get on the d10, you'll hit nothing above Fire! (5). I don't want the first hit in combat to crit into Engines Crippled, certainly, but I can't find where the book explains how to reach these upper ends of critical damage.

Is this like personal critical damage, where the ship needs to be reduced to 0 hull points, first, and then damage in excess pushes through this? I suppose 0 hp is already a bad place to be, and you've taken a lot of damage to get there, but it seems like only one extra shot will then hulk you. Anyways, do I have the gist of this, or is it something else, entirely? I was running a mock up battle between my dynasty ship and a Tau vessel, and I'm trying to see how these severe aspects of ship combat will work in. Thanks.

Think of Hull Integrity like Wounds on a character. Once you reduce a ship to 0 Hull Integrity, all future points of damage are simply Critical Hits of that level. Once you're at 0, if you take an 8 point hit you take the 8 point Critical (Decapitation).

It's a little unclear what happens when a shot pushes you into Crippled, but I rule it so that if you had say 3 points of hull integrity left, and took a 7 point hit, you would also suffer the 4 point Critical Hit in addition to other damage.

"When a Crippled ship takes damage past its Armour , it takes a critical hit. Compare the value of the damage that exceeded the Armour to the Critical Hit chart. The ship suffers this Critical Hit result."

It's pretty explicit, if poorly worded. Also, it appears to be written by an Englishman, and you know how horrible they are at English. Just look at the word, "Worcestershire."

Thank you very much. Now that I have more time, p.221 says the same. Apologies for the poor question, but I managed to miss it up till then. If you ever get a chance to see Wrath: the Oblivion's book, look at the last page, and their single errata'd item. I didn't think this was a similar problem, but best to be sure.

If you ever get a chance to see Wrath: the Oblivion's book, look at the last page, and their single errata'd item. I didn't think this was a similar problem, but best to be sure.

Is this a RT book?

Nope, apologies. Some number of years ago, White Wolf Games had the World of Darkness, and one of their product lines under that umbrella was Wraith: the Oblivion, alongside things such as Mage: the Ascension, Changeling: the Dreaming, Mummy: the Resurrection, and the much more successful Vampire: the Masqerade (parts of Vampire: the Dark Ages, too), and Werewolf: the Apocalypse. They also did Exalted, for the anime fans, in the Age of Sorrows. In my opinion, and numerous other folks, they stopped being relevant when they ended the World of Darkness, torched their canon, and rewrote the history of everything, mostly for the worse. Certainly, your mileage may vary, and the New World of Darkness might be the only one you ever knew. I suppose some people had to like it, just like D&D 4E; I don't know how, but they sold books, so...

In this case, Wraiths, being spirits between worlds, as it were, use an essence referred to as Pathos to fuel their supernatural powers, called Arcanoi. They regain this energy by experiencing emotions that relate to things that were profoundly important to them, in the same way vampires drank blood, or garou absorbed energy from the Wyld places of Gaia. Thing is, the book's initial printing forgot to include the mechanics for doing this, meaning you could never recharge your spiritual batteries, as it were, or you needed a house-rule. When the second edition/printing was released, they added a last "errata" page, giving the full mechanic for how, with the wonderful flavor quote "Houston, we have a problem." One of the singly most important mechanics for that line, and they totally forgot to include it; even some of the copy/paste shenanigans of FFG could feel just a little bit better about themselves, compared to that.

Not a book for this line, but a reference I had, and thought, as I was floundering through this, and I figure a lot of people here have played games around the time I have, or longer, and have referenced many wide-ranging franchises, so I hoped someone else would remember it.

Edited by venkelos

Not to mention the ridiculous number of times they left a page reference as "see page XX" - to the point where they finally included the fabled page XX in the (I think) Malkavian clanbook.

WW may have had pi**-poor proofreading but at least they acknowledged it :)

Edited by LoneKharnivore