Solo rules (travel hazards)

By Emrick09, in Runebound

Hello guys!

I'm looking to make my runebound solo games more challenging without the use of a threat track. I don't want preasure but bigger challenges...

1- With the current travel harzard rules, I alway find a way to avoid it by ending my turn on a city, plain or road. It's rare that I get encounter, I always manage to get one of the corresponding symbols. I need a way to fix this...

2- I'm also looking for a rule to limit myself from going back to a city each time i'm finished with an encounter.

Here are the current rules that I use:

I "stole" a few of them from other players and modified them to my convenience :

1- Heroes cannot use items whose cost is twice their current level (level equals the number of experience counters), with the exception that a level "0" character may use items of cost 1 or 2.

2- Rolling for Hazards: If you end your movement in a non-town space without an adventure counter, undefeated challenge counter, or another hero, you must roll two movement dice to check for travel hazards. If the dice show one or more terrain symbols that match the terrain of the space you are in, you do not encounter a travel hazard.

Use the following table:

02-09 Green encounter
10-14 Yellow encounter
15-18 Blue encounter
19-20 Red encounter

3- Undefeated Challenge Marker Movement Variant: At the start of every full round (i.e. after a full sequence through the players) roll 2 movement die and relocate any undefeated challenges towards the nearest town. If the movement die doesn't offer an option for movement roughly in the right direction, move the marker 1 space.

If a green or yellow creature makes it to a town, all services are unavailable until the monster is defeated. Blue and red challenges associated with an undefeated Challenge Marker will destroy a town instantly. Place a doom counter on that location for the rest of the game.

4- Using cities of adventure, when entering a city, roll 1D10 and follow the result:

1- Swamp 6- River
2- Forest 7- Plain
3- Mountain 8-10 Nothing happens
4- Hill
5- Road

Thanks again for your help!

Made an update!

1- Heroes start at level “1” and they cannot use items whose cost is higher than twice their current level (current level equals level 1 + the number of experience counters).

2- Rolling for Hazards: If you end your movement in a non-town space without an adventure counter or a space without an undefeated challenge counter, you must roll for travel hazards. Roll 1D10, on a result of 1-5, you get an encounter. On a result of 6-10, you get no encounter.

Use the following modifiers depending on which terrain type you make your roll:

Swamp -1 River +2
Forest -2 Plain +0
Mountain -1
Hill -1
Road +1

Use the following table:

02-09 Green encounter
10-14 Yellow encounter
15-18 Blue encounter
19-20 Red encounter

3- Undefeated Challenge Marker Movement Variant: At the start of every full round (i.e. after a full sequence through the players) roll 2 movement die and relocate any undefeated challenges towards the nearest town. If the movement die doesn't offer an option for movement roughly in the right direction, move the marker 1 space.

If a green or yellow creature makes it to a town, all services are unavailable until the monster is defeated. Blue and red challenges associated with an undefeated challenge marker will destroy a town instantly. Place a doom counter on that location for the rest of the game.

4- Using cities of adventure, when entering a city, roll 1D10 and follow the result:

1- Swamp 6- River
2- Forest 7- Plain
3- Mountain 8- Roll a terrain die and apply all of the results
4- Hill 9-10 Nothing happens
5- Road