Expansion combinations and randomising characters .

By jimmyfield, in Talisman Rules Questions

Hi all .

Me and my talisman group own most sets now we're missions -

Woodlands , reaper , deeper realms

Which combination do people play for -

A challenge , speed and for just plain fun .

Also how do you all randomise your char or select your char ?

Thanks all .

Missing * not missions

In our group we all select our characters. The game is always long so people should play what they enjoy to play (random is fine for short games). That's my view anyway.

Which combination do people play for -
A challenge , speed and for just plain fun .

I play for all three. Most of my other players (non of which are talisman fans) play purely for fun. (that doesn't matter they don't play to win ;) )

Edited by Bludgeon

My group we deal 3 characters each and pick what one we want. Sometimes we keep 2 and meld them together.

For characters, we draw three each and choose. If someone doesn't like their options, they're allowed to select from those drawn but not used by other players. This way no one gets totally screwed by drawing crap. And we remove the ones we've played from the next game's draw pile, forcing us to finally work with characters we might normally avoid. Should be interesting to see how the last few play out.

We also randomize the alternate endings by having my son (a non-player) draw from the endings and either show it if it's a revealed, or hide it under the edge of a board if a hidden. And we're pulling these out of the next game draw as well. Trying to make sure we play all possible endings.

We have all the expansions, though haven't incorporated all sets as yet. Haven't felt a need really, since one of our house rules for hidden endings is that all corner boards have to be completely passed through or completed (not necessarily successfully) prior to reaching CoC. Will add the others eventually, but haven't gotten bored enough to need them yet.

and I just want to know what genius thought a warhorse should only be four gold?!? Seriously? Sorry, that's six gold in our games.

For characters, we draw three each and choose. If someone doesn't like their options, they're allowed to select from those drawn but not used by other players. This way no one gets totally screwed by drawing crap. And we remove the ones we've played from the next game's draw pile, forcing us to finally work with characters we might normally avoid. Should be interesting to see how the last few play out.

We also randomize the alternate endings by having my son (a non-player) draw from the endings and either show it if it's a revealed, or hide it under the edge of a board if a hidden. And we're pulling these out of the next game draw as well. Trying to make sure we play all possible endings.

Very nice!

In my group we choose the characters randomly, but if someone picked a character that he had played with the game before, he may change if he want.

Sometime ago my group played with all the expansions that we have, but the game became too long, even boring, and the "thematic"/"flavour" of each expansion disapered in a large varaety of adventure cards and spells. So nowadays we play with only one expansion per game.

But I think in the near future we'll play with one big and one little expansion together.

We draw 2 or 3 characters for each game, choose one to use an the other(s) is backup. Usually we have some theme for the characters to draw from - expansions in play, spellcasters, amount of fate etc.

We usually play with one or two corners and one or two small boxes. Lately we found a really good balance when using highland and city together with firelands and blood moon (although some people doesn't like the theme this expansion is really well made).