UPDATED - Sheffield November events

By Speedsta, in UFS Uk Forum

Well, here they are. Following overwhelming demand, I will now start running monthly legacy events using the epic-scale banned list at the bottom of this post. All tournaments other then the prerelease are free to enter :)

UFS November 2009
Saturday 7 November 2009
11:00 am
Standard Format

Join us for our standard format November UFS event! Build a deck including only tournament legal cards with a five point shuriken and prove your superiority! Prizes consist of promos only available in offical tournaments. New and experienced players welcome, demos available in-store.

UFS Legacy November 2009
Wednesday 18 November 2009
19:00 am
Legacy format with Sheffield banned list

Join us for our legacy format November UFS event! Build a deck including tournament legal cards from any set and prove your superiority! In addition to the official banned list, additional cards at the bottom of this post are banned from Sheffield legacy events. Prizes consist of promos only available in offical tournaments. New and experienced players welcome, demos available in-store.

Quest of Souls prerelease
Sunday 22 November 2009
11:00 am
Soulcalibur Prerelease - £20 entry fee

Join us for the Quest of Souls prerelease! Build a deck using cards from boosters from the unreleased Quest of Souls expansion and prove your superiority! Prizes consist of promos only available in offical tournaments. New and experienced players welcome, demos available in-store.

UFS November 2009 (pm)
Wednesday 25 November 2009
19:00 pm
Standard format

Join us for our standard format evening November UFS event! Build a deck including only tournament legal cards with a five point shuriken and prove your superiority! Prizes consist of promos only available in offical tournaments. New and experienced players welcome, demos available in-store.

EPIC BANNED LIST OF DOOM! ......please note that these are in ADDITON TO the official banned list.

Attacks (9) :

Aghano Geri
Chain Throw
Darkness Blade
Devil Reverse
Kasumi Suzaku
Leaping Commando Kick
Rolling Storm
Shadow Banishment
Tsunami Saber

Assets (7) :

Cage Arena
Fruit F#@!er
Overwhelming Strength
Pigeon Games
Rare Card
Reanimated
Yoshimitsu

Actions (6) :

Absurd Strength
Combination of Blows
Replenishment
Ryu’s Ashura Senku
Start Over
You Will Not Escape

Characters (22) :

**Abyss**
******Akuma******
**Alba**
Astrid
**Bishamon**
*Chester*
*Dhalsim*
*Donovan*
*Galford*
*K’*
*M. Bison*
**Nakoruru**
*Necro*
Nicholas the Saint
**Nightmare**
***Sakura***
***Tira***
Tycho, Evil Genius
**Ukyo**
*Yun-Seong*
***Yun-Seong***
*Zi Mei*

Foundations (32) :

Amy’s Assistance
Ancient Insight
Armored Defense
Awakening
Battle Prowess
Billiard Player
Blood Runs True
Calm Mind
Contemplation
Dark Hado (The Next Level)
Dirty Pool
Emptiness
False Pretenses
Fortune and Glory
Friends and Rivals
Mortal Strike
One Track Mind
Order and Law
Ring Veteran
Shinobi Technique
Soul Power
The Gorgeous Team
The Red Lotus of the Sun
The Ways of Punishment
Thunderfoot
Torn Hero
Tough Outer Shell
Undercover Agent
Unorthodox Style
War Between Sisters
Whereabouts Unknown
Yoga Mastery

This will be on an ongoing basis and will be updated with any cards which are found to be a significant problem.

If anyone has any questions, please send me a PM on either the FFG or SQC forums or post here.

- Ross

EPIC BANNED LIST OF DOOM!......please note that these are in ADDITON TO the official banned list.

Attacks (7):

Chain Throw
Darkness Blade
Kasumi Suzaku
Leaping Commando Kick
Rolling Storm
Shadow Banishment
Tsunami Saber

Assets (7):

Cage Arena
Fruit F#@!er
Overwhelming Strength
Pigeon Games
Rare Card
Reanimated
Yoshimitsu

Actions (5):

Absurd Strength
Combination of Blows
Replenishment
Ryu’s Ashura Senku
Start Over

Characters (20):

**Abyss**
******Akuma******
Astrid
**Bishamon**
*Chester*
*Dhalsim*
*Donovan*
*Galford*
*K’*
*M. Bison*
**Nakoruru**
Nicholas the Saint
**Nightmare**
***Sakura***
***Tira***
Tycho, Evil Genius
**Ukyo**
*Yun-Seong*
***Yun-Seong***
*Zi Mei*

Foundations (30):

Amy’s Assistance
Ancient Insight
Armored Defense
Battle Prowess
Billiard Player
Blood Runs True
Calm Mind
Contemplation
Dark Hado (The Next Level)
Dirty Pool
Emptiness
False Pretenses
Fortune and Glory
Friends and Rivals
Mortal Strike
One Track Mind
Order and Law
Ring Veteran
Shinobi Technique
Soul Power
The Gorgeous Team
The Red Lotus of the Sun
The Ways of Punishment
Thunderfoot
Torn Hero
Tough Outer Shell
Undercover Agent
Unorthodox Style
Whereabouts Unknown
Yoga Mastery

Ok I'm sorry but WTF?!!!

That list is too big. serio.gif Expect many decks to look too themy and gimmicky.

a few cards that shouldn't be banned:

Rolling storm (not broken at all)

Shadow banishment- fine, answers exist in the meta. :/

Cage arena

Overwhelming strength- Stops turtle decks effectively.

If Start Over is banned surely shouldnt Begin anew and infiltrating join it? Hmm

Ryu's Ashura senku has counters and honestly is not a problem, blind stance should take it's place on the list, that or rat chaser. IMO.

Ancient Insight is fine and who honestly plays Zasalamel?!

Billiard player isn't a problem. BRT is not broken at all, is it? Calm mind?

False pretenses is very two sided, never had a problem with it TBH.

Red lotus is a necessary counter to things like stun and mass destroy.

Ways of punishment and thunderfoot should be replaced by unrequited love, there are many answers to discard and honestly unrequited is a much better card.

The characters are fine though i'll give you that. happy.gif

Cheers

Dan

this banned list was decided by every ufs player in sheffield we are all happy with it, if you do not like the list you should not turn up for our tournements, futher more how dare you insult the judgement of our player base and TO the banned list is there to ensure the game will be fun.

also note this is a local banned list and affects you in no way

karuso said:

this banned list was decided by every ufs player in sheffield we are all happy with it, if you do not like the list you should not turn up for our tournements, futher more how dare you insult the judgement of our player base and TO the banned list is there to ensure the game will be fun.

I can't tell if this is meant to be a joke or not, I'm assuming it is because otherwise Karuso has just made a complete fool of himself, not least since Bloodrunstrue belongs to the Cornwall player group so probably won't be turning up for our tournaments :P

If I get time tonight I will reply in full explaining why the bannings questioned above were made, until then I'd mention that I haven't focused on banning the "broken" or "boring" cards, I've focused more on trying to create a way to play legacy where the majority of deck types are viable and the format is still accessible to new players in that they won't ge locked out of the game completely or turn 2 killed every game. This is probably why the banned list looks a little strange and certainly why it is so large. I'm always happy to discuss and amend the list ad this is just the first draft of it and will be changed several times in the future :)

- Ross

Speedsta said:

karuso said:

I can't tell if this is meant to be a joke or not, I'm assuming it is because otherwise Karuso has just made a complete fool of himself, not least since Bloodrunstrue belongs to the Cornwall player group so probably won't be turning up for our tournaments :P

If I get time tonight I will reply in full explaining why the bannings questioned above were made, until then I'd mention that I haven't focused on banning the "broken" or "boring" cards, I've focused more on trying to create a way to play legacy where the majority of deck types are viable and the format is still accessible to new players in that they won't ge locked out of the game completely or turn 2 killed every game. This is probably why the banned list looks a little strange and certainly why it is so large. I'm always happy to discuss and amend the list ad this is just the first draft of it and will be changed several times in the future :)

- Ross

Actually he was deadly serious and did not learn that Bloodrunstrue was from Cornwall, until I told him after he had already posted. gran_risa.gif

karuso said:

RAWR! HOW DARE YOU CHALLENGE THE WILL OF OUR SUPREME LEADER! YOU ARE EXILED FROM SHEFFIELD!

...but his post looked like this?

Bloodrunstrue said:

Ok I'm sorry but WTF?!!!

That list is too big. serio.gif Expect many decks to look too themy and gimmicky.

a few cards that shouldn't be banned:

Rolling storm (not broken at all)

Shadow banishment- fine, answers exist in the meta. :/

Cage arena

Overwhelming strength- Stops turtle decks effectively.

If Start Over is banned surely shouldnt Begin anew and infiltrating join it? Hmm

Ryu's Ashura senku has counters and honestly is not a problem, blind stance should take it's place on the list, that or rat chaser. IMO.

Ancient Insight is fine and who honestly plays Zasalamel?!

Billiard player isn't a problem. BRT is not broken at all, is it? Calm mind?

False pretenses is very two sided, never had a problem with it TBH.

Red lotus is a necessary counter to things like stun and mass destroy.

Ways of punishment and thunderfoot should be replaced by unrequited love, there are many answers to discard and honestly unrequited is a much better card.

The characters are fine though i'll give you that. happy.gif

Cheers

Dan

OK, the first thing I notice is that although you have clearly taken the time to look at the list carefully you haven't posted your arguments for changing the list - in most cases you have stated your opinion, but not the reasons behind it. So, I'll start by posting why I banned the cards in question:

Rolling storm - Talim can very easily kill on turn 2 with this card as there is momentum generation everywhere in legacy format and it is a base 30 damage before any speed or damage pumps are applied. As Talim is 8 hand size she is likely to play it on turn 2 with pumps.

Shadow banishment - It is as strong now as is used to be - most of the strongest anti-discard support doesn't work against Shadow Banishment unless your opponent is a complete fool and chooses to discard Dodge Step, etc. Also, it's still a high 9 damage attack with a three check for 7 difficulty.

Cage arena - Isn't a broken card, but is a massive negative play experience as it effectively makes all attacks have a base damage of one.

Overwhelming strength - Most decks are built around their character ability. A card which can blank a character all game from turn one can often win the game by itself.

If Start Over is banned surely shouldnt Begin anew and infiltrating join it? I was trying to avoid the 6 rolling decks being prevalent. They find it difficult to pass Being Anew and with Infiltrating will often deck out before their opponent.

Ryu's Ashura senku has counters eand honestly is not a problem, blind stance should take it's place on the list, that or rat chasr - I went 6-1 in swiss with this card at the last UK Nationals where it was legal, the problem is that it has void so you will have an equal number of counters to stop your opponent.

Ancient Insight is fine and who honestly plays Zasalamel?! - Banned for its non-Zasalamel ability - most discard takes place during attacks and in legacy format can easily be triggered during your opponent's turn. If your opponent plays an attack, you make them discard a card and respond with just one Ancient Insight that's already three cards (half their hand) gone.

Billiard player isn't a problem. - In legacy there are a lot more cards it can fetch, and any card which can consistently get 4 copies of key cards in your deck will cause problems in the format.

BRT is not broken at all, is it? - Possibly the most hated card in the last rotation, It reads "Your opponent fails target card. In case they play an attack next you also get to draw a block" :)

Calm mind? - I tried to balance diacard by making most of it only playable during attacks, or on one-shot actions to stop it being as overpowered as it used to be. There are plenty of answers, but it would skew the format by making sure everyone had to run them.

False pretenses is very two sided, never had a problem with it TBH. - The form can never be played by your opponent as it needs to be committed at the start of your opponent's turn to use it. When you have more than one in play it becomes impossible to kill you without a one hit KO.

Red lotus is a necessary counter to things like stun and mass destroy. - Agreed, but it is too strong in that it effectively makes your entire board untouchable. There are still plenty of other counters like Seal of Cessation, Oral Dead, Inhuman Perception, Kung Fu Training, etc.

Ways of punishment and thunderfoot should be replaced by unrequited love, there are many answers to discard and honestly unrequited is a much better card. - Not sure about this - There are plenty of strong speed pumps about (e.g. Adoration, Empire's Ruin) which I would rate above Unrequited Love, whilst Ways of Punishemt lets you kill your opponent in one hit and Thunderfoot falls into the category of discard outside attacks which I mentioned above.

- Ross

Okey dokie, Thankyou Ross for explaining your points, at least you considered my argument and i hope the list works out for you all. :)

Also karuso I do not tolerate that level of disrespect fella cool it. serio.gif I know i'm a bit of an ass at times but i only want the best for this game, OK?

lastly Ross am I actually exiled from your shop still after squiffy challenge? I wish thinking of visiting in December, promise i'll be a good boy xD

Thanks

Dan

it was intended as a joke but my sense of humour is very strange, and ross you are more like a god to me and your followers

Bloodrunstrue said:

lastly Ross am I actually exiled from your shop still after squiffy challenge? I wish thinking of visiting in December, promise i'll be a good boy xD

.....?

Did I say I'd exile you from the shop at Squiffy Challenge? Did you touch me in a bad way or something? I can't remember anything like that, any time you want to visit you're more than welcome?

EDIT: Added **Alba**, Awakening and You Will Not Escape to the banned list, also moved tournament on Sunday 15th November to Wednesday 18th November.

Speedsta said:

EDIT: Added **Alba**, Awakening and You Will Not Escape to the banned list, also moved tournament on Sunday 15th November to Wednesday 18th November.

All good choices! Cheers Ross, see you in December sometime hopefully. happy.gif

If it's on the 25th we're closed gran_risa.gif

Speedsta said:

If it's on the 25th we're closed gran_risa.gif

Oh noezzz my planzzz they are teh foileds!!

Nah should be more like 18th-20th or something =P

This should be the last update!!!

+ Necro, War Between Sisters & Aghano Geri.

...right, done gran_risa.gif