Alternatives to the Schola Progenium?

By ColArana, in Dark Heresy

Teensy bit of backstory on this one. Feel free to skip this section here if you want to just jump to the question.

-----

In our Dark Heresy campaign, our party's Inquisitor was killed, and the cell have been pursuing the trail of his killer ever since. During recent sessions we found that the cell's Interrogator had also been killed, leaving behind an infant daughter.

One of our party cell had been very good friends with the Interrogator and decided to raise the Interrogator's daughter as his own. However, he also did not want to expose the infant to danger and so left the girl with a relative of the Interrogator.

....When he did so, he also dropped a tremendous bucketload of information that he shouldn't have. Said relative was essentially a standard Imperium citizen, and he more-or-less told him almost every detail as to the case the Interrogator was pursuing when he died, among which included a budding civil war within the Inquisition, a planet completely consumed by Chaos, chaos rituals, the death of an Inquisitor, and several other things that should absolutely have been classified.

I should note that the relative in question hadn't even been AWARE his brother worked for the Inquisition. The last he'd heard his brother was working for a scribe.

Now my character just found out about how much his fellow acolyte revealed to this man, and, as the relative isn't too far away, is almost certainly going to take a detour to make sure the relative in question never speaks to anyone about this. In the typical 40k way. After that, I'm fairly certain the next step would be to submit the girl to the Schola Progenium and that would be the end of it.

-----------------

What bothers me about the above situation is I really don't want to be "that jerk" who went and smashed another player's character motivation to pieces. His character is clearly invested in the girl, and the player too seems invested in that little bit of a sidequest of: "My character, the foster-dad". I don't want to just go and take that away from him.

But at the same time, I don't see many "in-universe" alternatives, besides sending the girl to the Schola Progenium.

At least not alternatives that won't end in the party Scum and Psyker going at each other's throats.

I've spoken about the issue with the GM and even he seems uncertain as to what I should do in this situation, as he agrees with me, that the course of action seems the most typical of the setting, but also agrees with me that taking the daughter away from the player AS WELL as basically shooting his foster-family plan in the head wouldn't be fair to the guy playing the Scum.

Can someone come up with a possible thing to do with the daughter of a dead Interrogator, besides sending her to the Schola Progenium? Or otherwise come up with another possible solution to this issue?

Schola Progena would be typical.

Actually, what would be typical would be terminating the family and the one who told them with extreme prejudice. And anyone who the family might have told.

However, if that's not what you want, then finding a new foster family - one that hasn't been told things they shouldn't - would probably be the next best alternative. Said foster family should be a Noble House allied/indebted to the Inquisitor in some manner.

Also, talk to the player - does the player realize just how far outside the norm their actions went? And what the usual approach to the situation would be?

I was going to say the the possiblity that the enemies you are chasing will have heard of this child because well people talk. The PC's might have started off well, but may have to go save child from a hit squad. Now these could be "real enemies" or well blind hired merc team sent into extract the child while wiping out the rest of the family (figure 3 or 4 people = think 2 or 3 Thugs with shotguns lead by Skulker with an Autogun. That PC's then have to "take care of" hitteam which should be outclassed by the PC easy after all they were hired fodder.

Then if they wish to refoster the child out see javocs idea above

I hope this helps

Edited by Angel of Death

Actually, what would be typical would be terminating the family and the one who told them with extreme prejudice. And anyone who the family might have told.

However, if that's not what you want, then finding a new foster family - one that hasn't been told things they shouldn't - would probably be the next best alternative. Said foster family should be a Noble House allied/indebted to the Inquisitor in some manner.

Also, talk to the player - does the player realize just how far outside the norm their actions went? And what the usual approach to the situation would be?

Terminating the family is the idea I think my character is going to tend towards. Terminating the guy who told them however might be problematic at this point, seeing how the cell needs its PC's alive right now.

The weird thing is I don't think the player realizes how far his actions were outside the norm. The GM tried to drop a lot of hints even in-conversation that he was building a plothole, with the guy in question at first being skeptical of his brother being in the Inquisition, and weirded out that the PC in question would just up and tell him that. Pretty sure he was resisting the urge to just have the character up and drop a: "Now that you've told me I guess you have to kill me" line.

Either way, in my case I'm trying to avoid a PvP situation over this. I've continued talking it over with the GM, and the GM's expressed that he's thinking that when my character comes to "clean up loose ends" the guy and the daughter will have vanished without a trace, and with much more pressing matters at hand (like an Inquisition civil war) my character won't have the time on hand right now to mount up a search. A little dissatisfying, and might prompt the guy to do stuff like this in the future, but I suppose it's one way to avoid me being a jerkass with only "It's what my character would do" to hide behind.

Edited by ColArana

Inquisition civil war you say?

In that case I would be very tempted that when you character turns up to "clean up" he find the place trashed and a little digging turns up an extraction team sent by a rival inquisitor. The other players brother has after all suddenly become "valuable". That should teach the player about the dangers of information in the 41st Millennium.

Terminating the family is the idea I think my character is going to tend towards. Terminating the guy who told them however might be problematic at this point, seeing how the cell needs its PC's alive right now.

The weird thing is I don't think the player realizes how far his actions were outside the norm. The GM tried to drop a lot of hints even in-conversation that he was building a plothole, with the guy in question at first being skeptical of his brother being in the Inquisition, and weirded out that the PC in question would just up and tell him that. Pretty sure he was resisting the urge to just have the character up and drop a: "Now that you've told me I guess you have to kill me" line.

Either way, in my case I'm trying to avoid a PvP situation over this. I've continued talking it over with the GM, and the GM's expressed that he's thinking that when my character comes to "clean up loose ends" the guy and the daughter will have vanished without a trace, and with much more pressing matters at hand (like an Inquisition civil war) my character won't have the time on hand right now to mount up a search. A little dissatisfying, and might prompt the guy to do stuff like this in the future, but I suppose it's one way to avoid me being a jerkass with only "It's what my character would do" to hide behind.

I ... wouldn't call cleaning the situation up a jerk move, exactly. It's entirely consistent within the setting, and, frankly, a fairly mild in-setting response. If your PC's still have a superior, the other player's actions are pretty clearly something that gets someone into serious trouble over.

I suppose that instead of killing them, mindcleansing, either full or partial, would also be an option. Although, killing them is simpler and requires less paperwork.

Remember, the Inquisition will kill people for being in the same general area as something happening, even if they had no idea it happened until the cleanup teams grabbed them. The Imperium will write off entire regiments for having been on the same battlespace as a daemon, whether or not they were engaged with it or not.

Cleaning up a small family for having been provided with waaaay too much information is NOTHING .

Have you had an out-of-character conversation with the other player? Not just the GM. How familiar with 40k is the other player, anyways? If they, as a player, don't realize that their actions were wildly out of character for the 40kverse, I'd have given them an FYI that their character knows this is a really bad idea/an idea massively inconsistent with the setting and the Inquisition. There might be some room to work with there.

As I said above, fostering the child with a carefully selected noble family that is provided only what they need to know is a reasonable alternative to the Schola. Depending on what kind of resources you guys have, you might be able to handle taking care of the kid in-house, so to speak.

The kid is probably valuable, either as leverage or because she can probably be used to open/activate/use anything that was genelocked to her parents - including whatever Inquisition secrets/etc that the Interrogator had or had access to.

Just stow the kid in your "regular" ship and let him play with the crew, until you change again and again of ship.

Otherwise, speak with that player about how inquisition would handle such things. And if he decides in the future to go like this anyway, I hope the GM will put some hard consequences.

WH40k is a feudal, dystopian setting where in general people inherit the job their parents do. There is extremely little social mobility.

Considering one parent is a interrogator (what happened to the other parent?), it is likely that the child was groomed/destined for a job in the Arbiters or planetary enforcers.

Also, WH40K is excessively bureaucratic so the child is registered somewhere. The local church will know her. The local school. The local Hitlerjugend Emperorjugend.

So this child can’t just be taken away and given to anyone. There are authorities to appease. Paperwork to file.

It would make for a fun twist if the player would now have to fight off the grasping clutches of (local) authorities to keep the child. Certainly more than player infighting. Maybe the arbiters want the child to go to a local state orphanage so she can join at a suitable date (instead of being conscripted by rival imperial organisations). Maybe the local church wants the girl to work in their sweatshops, further fattening their coffers with her cheap labour.

You could have a lot of fun with this…With the player and his chosen guardian having to prove their parental suitability to different organisations, all ostensibly interested in the kid’s future but in reality seeking just another warm body to exploit.

Also, WH40K is excessively bureaucratic so the child is registered somewhere. The local church will know her. The local school. The local Hitlerjugend Emperorjugend.

Yes and no.

Excessively to a point that everything can just disappear and be forgotten through lines and pages and books, and archives.