Grame Davis Interview - Questions for The Enemy Within creator...

By Noelyuk, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Hey Guys

I'm lining up an interview for http://theorderofchaosgamers.com podcast with Graeme Davis (yes one of the original creators of The Enemy Within Campaign).

So of course i've some questions prepared for him but before I do so I'd like to throw it open. What questions if any would you like to put to the man himself?

Feel free to post below and or PM me and I'll be sure to credit your question when the podcast episode goes out live.

Cheers

Noely

Edited by Noelyuk

If you were to rewrite Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. What would you change?

For me it would be the history, so that over time the dwarves and Elves did have reasons to work together. So players did not feel so awkward with this generic hate.

What were some things you wanted to put in but did not get a chance to or weren't allowed to because of the IP?

**** you typo! Does anyone know if and how I could get a mod to correct the 'Grame' to 'Graeme' typo in my title? :(

What advice would you give GM's who are trying to plan their own multi-session adventure paths?

Well, he is one of the original designers of WFRP.

What are his opinions about The End Times and the end of Warhammer world we all have known and loved?

Pretty sure (hopefully) he didn't like that move - so, if he could have designed that event, what would have happened then?

If you had to choose one edition of Warhammer fantasy roleplay which would it be and why?

Well, he is one of the original designers of WFRP.

What are his opinions about The End Times and the end of Warhammer world we all have known and loved?

Pretty sure (hopefully) he didn't like that move - so, if he could have designed that event, what would have happened then?

I would add to this, the USP of Warhammer fantasy roleplay is for me the idea of a hidden invisible threat gnawing at the edges ( and indeed the core) of civilisation, like the "enemy within" . It seems to me that as with 2ed and the huge chaos incursion, and now this post apocalyptic world that this subtle but important distinction of what gives the game of WFRP its core theme is lost. Would you agree? Do you think the WFRP world has lost its core thematic essence?

**** you typo! Does anyone know if and how I could get a mod to correct the 'Grame' to 'Graeme' typo in my title? :(

No I didn't find a way. Try asking a question up top. Likely someone with access to the data base can do it.

I'd vote against an "End Times" podcast, because that seems pretty divisive. Also it's literally blown up the Fantasy Roleplay world, so there's no real satisfying answer I can be given. Depending on what he says, it could also affect any future relationship with more content from FFG.

Second question: Did you have a favourite "enemy" faction to write for or create adventures for in Warhammer?

"Did you find WFRP lore somehow lacking of the possibilities to play elves and dwarves in their classic careers? Or a human-centric background is part of the WFRP tone in your opinion? If so, was it a precise design choice or there were never time to add other races books?". Note: yes I know that 3rd edition has opened to the dwarven careers.

"How do you see the evolution of WFRP in all those years? Could you expose yourself saying pros and cons? Things you like most and things you like less.

One thing I like for example is that it evolved in a more detailed way: wizards are no more the copycat of D&D wizards; another one is that the fluff of the enemies has evolved in a more defined way, now you don't find dungeons with greenskins, vampires, undead and chaos warriors like if it were Hero Quest;

On the other hand I don't like the weight that the miniature game had in the later editions. It seems that many -in particular non humans- careers have been shoe-horned in the typical WFRP atmosphere and are now mandatory in order to make the game appetible to the fans. This opinion leads me back to the 1st question, since those careers are usually non-humans and are typical of semi-heroic miniatures, and are a step away from careers like rat-catcher, protagonist, bailiff, etc.that are common professions of normal, non-heroic people ...".

This is not a question but I'd like to express it: the new Enemy WIthin is the best thing I've read about WFRP in years (and I've read quite everything so far). The tone, the atmosphere, the plot and the great evil schemes: it's mature and never banal, I consider it the apex of the WFRP history in a evolutionary term, and, sadly, it has truly been: the final bang! Thanks for everything you've done for the Old World!

I second the question about The End Times.

Thanks!

Do you pronounce it "wuffrep" or "hwiffrip"?

Do you think WFRP should have the chance to be reinvigorated and brought back as a new game for a 4th time? Do you think it still has potential? What is special about WFRP?

Whilst the big campaigns like the famous "Enemy Within" have formed the bedrock of the WFRP game, with themes of secret chaos corruption, do you think that the WFRP game is suited to other themes? What other themes would be your favourite to explore with WFRP?

Do you think todays role-play games (& writers), would benefit by having an popular outlet/fan magazine, for short one off adventures/encounter ideas, as was the case with the White Dwarf magazine in the 1980's?

When WFRP 1ed arrived it felt like a quintessentially British/European RPG. Do you think that this is still the case, and why?

With references to Jaberwoks in wfrp1, do you think the role of humour , most notably Monty Python still has a role in the game?

Do you ever have your a chance to play many RPG's? Do you have a favourite game system, or game mechanic you feel is particularly innovative and helpful for game play?

Original WFRP 1ed seemed to borrow from games like Cthulhu /Runequest/ stormbringer, and d&d as well bringing its own innovations. Do you feel that there are any existing game systems that might be well suited to a new WFRP in the future?

What is your favourite writing you have done for WFRP?

Edited by Ben Jackson

When WFRP 1ed arrived it felt like a quintessentially British/European RPG. Do you think that this is still the case, and why?

With references to Jaberwoks in wfrp1, do you think the role of humour , most notably Monty Python still has a role in the game?

Do you ever have your a chance to play many RPG's? Do you have a favourite game system, or game mechanic you feel is particularly innovative and helpful for game play?

Original WFRP 1ed seemed to borrow from games like Cthulhu /Runequest/ stormbringer, and d&d as well bringing its own innovations. Do you feel that there are any existing game systems that might be well suited to a new WFRP in the future?

What is your favourite writing you have done for WFRP?

Wow Ben you're really on a roll with this :) Maybe we should invite you onto the podcast panel of interviewers ;)

He he - just a repressed a role player. I look forward to the podcast . No need for any name credit, it could get embarrassing! :)

Edited by Ben Jackson

Hey Guys

I'm lining up an interview for http://theorderofchaosgamers.com podcast with Graeme Davis (yes one of the original creators of The Enemy Within Campaign).

So of course i've some questions prepared for him but before I do so I'd like to throw it open. What questions if any would you like to put to the man himself?

Feel free to post below and or PM me and I'll be sure to credit your question when the podcast episode goes out live.

Cheers

Noely

Hi, is there an On Air date scheduled? :)

Hey Guys

Cheers

Noely

Hi, is there an On Air date scheduled? :)

Not yet. Just finalizing the questions and interview date. Thanks for all the great questions so far. I'll be sure to include as many as possible and feel free to keep them coming. Of course I will be sure to let you know when it's live in this thread.

In the meantime be sure to keep up to date with all our Enemy Within action in the podcast here:

https://itunes.apple.com/hk/podcast/the-order-of-chaos-gamers/id1067964927?mt=2