Any weapon for any class??

By H4rl3q1n, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

Hey !

I have a question.

Can every specialization carry every weapon? I do not find anything in the rules.

For example: Could a Apothecarius carry a Heavy Bolter or make it even a signature weapon to have it all the time??

Sounds kind of ridiculous but like I said I did not find anything about it in the rulebook.

would really appreciate some info :)

Greets

Short answer is yes. Every marine gets the talent of "Astartes Weapon Training" (Core DW rulebook. Added on p36, described on p113) which basically says

"...proficient with bolt, chain, melta <long list of types here>...of all classes. In essence the only weapon that the Battle Brother is not proficient with are exotic weapons"

So as per that there is nothing stopping an apothecary using or from requisitioning a heavy bolter, or anyone else for that matter. An assault marine could requisition one for use if they wanted to...if of course said marine had recently taken a nasty hit to the head from a carnifex and now had a single figure intelligence score.

With that then and since it's requisition cost is enough then yes you could take it for signature wargear.

And that highlights one quirk in the rules. There is no refund or bonus for req-ing gear in your specialization. So it costs just as much for the devastator to buy a lascannon as a techmarine.

Edited by Kamikazzijoe

Flat Req prices are not nearly as irksome as the default equipment loadout, which rapidly becomes useless as more efficient weapons are unlocked during rank progression. I'd prefer if, instead of a single weapon type, a weapon class were to be specified (with renown requirements still applied). Let the Devastator pick the lascannon for free if he wants it, and the team could pay for the second one if they want it badly enough.