Talisman - what the future holds.

By TheMetal1, in Talisman

someone mentioned this in the cataclysm thread but wanted to discuss it separately.

So we have the base board, then the harbinger foretelling the apocalypse, and now the cataclysm showing the end result.

I'm going to suggest that the next big box expansion will be a reimagining of timescape. (NOTE: Just a wild speculation with no basis in anything!) The intent is to allow players to move between original and cataclysm. Not sure how it will work, but will also have a timescape board.

I'm also thinking at some point a reboot of talisman reboot to the Warhammer Old World board and then a Age of Sigmar end times thing as is currently happening with Warhammer Fantasy.

This would allow for connecting of a timescape to the old world, age of Sigmar and Relic, using the Relic rules as a base. NThe challenge with far future is the connecting of the talisman world to the Warhammer world. While FFG could do it with no explanation, Talisman needs its own far future/space game.

I think there is a lot more expansions to come, as the people of talisman went somewhere to flee what was happening to the lands...the questions remains...so where did they go?

Here's to Ocean Expansion that 0berron's been talking about to bring us to the other lands!

H

Wild guess.....5th edition!

(After all, they've tossed new editions of their other games at us in the past, wouldn't surprise me to see them hit the reboot button on this one too).

@sanityismyvanity

Just saw Talisman: Horus Heresy and came here today to post on it but you scooped me two days early!

As much as I would love to see Timescape released this particular theory seems a bit too far fetched to me. I think I red somewhere that GW wants to keep Talisman separate from Old World (and now Age of Sigmar). I can't recall if this was an actual info or just writers opinion but that's what my jumble of the memory and gut feeling tels me. As for using Timescape to travel between two main boards it totally makes sense but it seems too good to be true. Sorry for being wet blanket :) I hope FFG will prove me wrong ;)

One simple reason we won't see Talisman (re)connected with Warhammer - it would mean no more normal figures. There's a reason why relic uses busts and not full figures. Because GW will not allow anyone else to make figures for warhammer fantasy or 40k, even in different games.

Do you want busts in talisman? I don't.

Some posters have mentioned the idea of expansions to expansions, I've talked about some myself. Recently I was musing about game dynamics and thought how landing on a space with the Reaper or the Werewolf could be expanded on. Like a 'Death' or 'Reaper' deck, you draw when you land on the space he is in. In some ways this would be corollary to the Woodlands Path cards, perhaps, qualities or abilities that are granted - but under certain situations.

But there could also be physical rewards or finds. A Reaper expansion could have an angle towards cultists, making it also tie into Harbinger perhaps or certainly other expansions too.

I want an expansion that "tightens" things up. Gives players goals to strive toward so players feel their turns are spent on an objective that takes them closer to winning the game, as opposed to turns that feel like a directionless filler.

I also want expansion that emphasises player cooperation and/or negative interaction. I would like a barter system between players and possibility of players helping players in combat. Maybe also rules for team gameplay.

Edited by Bludgeon

I don't want any new corner maps for cataclysm.

I don't want any new corner maps for cataclysm.

I do! :-)

But what I really want is an expansion, like so many others, that adds cards to the different decks and balances out the game in regards to other expansions. A new unified rulebook for all expansions complete with all FAQ content added and replacement cards/spells for some broken effects. I would not be opposed to stickers to go over some board spaces to possibly correct things. Add a character or two and some alternative endings and they could easily have a $30 expansion.......

But what I really want is an expansion, like so many others, that adds cards to the different decks and balances out the game in regards to other expansions. A new unified rulebook for all expansions complete with all FAQ content added and replacement cards/spells for some broken effects. I would not be opposed to stickers to go over some board spaces to possibly correct things. Add a character or two and some alternative endings and they could easily have a $30 expansion.......

Proper card copies of Danse Macabre and Crown of Command would be nice if this ever happens (& maybe Doppelganger & Instructor cards!)

Edited by Neil 666

With the creation of a new and different main game board, Cataclysm, the speculation that corner boards or other boards might have new or alternate versions has begun.

For some reason I hadn't really entertained that possibility and merely read the posts without remarking or responding.

But for some reason, last night, after reading the latest preview, I thought about it.

And maybe the boards aren't a part of the new Cataclysm mythos, but maybe as alternate boards that work with any expansion, etc. Considerations are that any of these alternates can be used with/ in place any of the original 4 corners, but spaces and movement mechanics etc may vary or have limitations/possibilities.

Therefore I give you:

In place of a City board, at last, and why not, An Ocean Corner. The City would be the place in the realm with a port or capable of ship docking and embarking. The movement mechanic might be the most different of all because there wouldn't be a path, and possibly each space representing vast ocean area, so 1 space at a time, whether horizontal, vertical or diagonal ?? Should Islands of whatever size be Encounter cards, or actual spaces? Treasures, whirlpools, Sea monsters and many other possibilities can be realized.

Obviously as an 'alternate' board, here is where the Timescape could be realized, as well. I'm thinking the Timescape board is an alternate to the Dungeon board, with the entry connected to the Ruins space. Perhaps the immediate first space is a continuation of the Ruins (secret chamber beneath with a portal of some sort). From there the possibilities are wide open. Perhaps more unusual one off type of spaces; a "Time-Bank" where weird-ass heists could take place (I have to admit this idea comes from a Dr. Who episode of the last two years; Time-Heist, I think it was called).

To be an alternate to the Highlands, a realm for Giants? Giants are a possible natural corollary or complement to the Dragons. They should have their own land too and in a way, this corner might be the closest physical similarity to its original board, a land of high tops and pretty uncivilized. The Lost Kingdom is now the actual cloud-top Kingdom of Giants with all the possible adventure elements that could bring.

For the final alternate, the board that would replace the Woodlands, I feel the idea of being a sort of more naturally magical place should be the main idea, so I give to you The Death/Demon/Dark/Whatever realm. As the Woodlands is to Fae-kind, this realm would be supernatural, but clearly more dark. Or not. Since some expansions have re-utilized certain concepts and mechanics - the Terrain cards, mostly, perhaps this realm could re-use Day/Night mechanics from Blood Moon, or The Light/Dark Fate mechanic from Woodlands (or both). There have been a lot of Spirit/Demon/Supernatural type bosses or higher beings, so maybe, at last, the boss of this board should be that old Wizard who is behind so much of Talisman?

* something I forgot - but maybe the entrance is through the Graveyard space and it really is more of a Haunted realm, than a Demon Dimension. So more Vampires, Ghosts, Witches, etc, please.

Edited by 0beron

With the creation of a new and different main game board, Cataclysm, the speculation that corner boards or other boards might have new or alternate versions has begun.

Therefore I give you:

In place of a City board, at last, and why not, An Ocean Corner. The City would be the place in the realm with a port or capable of ship docking and embarking. The movement mechanic might be the most different of all because there wouldn't be a path, and possibly each space representing vast ocean area, so 1 space at a time, whether horizontal, vertical or diagonal ?? Should Islands of whatever size be Encounter cards, or actual spaces? Treasures, whirlpools, Sea monsters and many other possibilities can be realized.

* something I forgot - but maybe the entrance is through the Graveyard space and it really is more of a Haunted realm, than a Demon Dimension. So more Vampires, Ghosts, Witches, etc, please.

Hubby and I were just discussing this today, and lo and behold, you've posted something pretty similar. :)

I'd love to see an ocean expansion (Overseas) that replaces all four corners and connects them all around the main board with smaller board chunks or larger corner boards to completely encircle the main board. Basically, the idea is that it goes along with Cataclysm and the outer regions have all been flooded. The new corner pieces that encircle the entire board, either with small gap-filling board chunks or just longer corner boards. This idea might only be available for the 4th revised ed. board, because the original 4th ed board is a bit smaller and the dimensions would be off, but I digress.

First up: the Floodplain. The flooded City could be much like you describe, with the first tier of the corner board being the edge of the flooded city, showing the shoreline, wharves, etc. You could buy ships to move faster, much like the Urchin, Riding Horse, etc. Then, the second tier would be open water, with all kinds of seafaring nasties and allies (mermaids, sharks, sirens, pirates, etc.) Then, the bottom tier would be the lands beyond the sea, where you can trade, buy/sell goods, etc. Much like the shop decks in the regular City expansion.

Next up: space between the corner boards where Deep Realms is now. The place where the Deep Realms expansion now would still connect the two corners, either as a separate small board chunk or as a part of either corner board extended. This would be mainly open sea spaces that you can access from the edge of the middle tier from the city side and leads into the side of the new corner expansion.

Next: the new dungeon corner, the Undersea, When the outside world flooded, the Dungeon filled with water, killing many of the nefarious inhabitants. Some survived and became more formidable, and new creepy crawlies moved in. You can still access the Undersea from the ruins, because the opening didn't quite flood, and there may be a few half-flooded areas in the upper tier, but everything else is underwater. You can access from the side of the second tier from the between the corners area, and then you have to fight the big baddie Kraken to get the waterlogged treasure.

On the other side of the Floodplain, another very small snippet of open sea (1x3 spaces) to travel to the updated Highlands board. Some maneuvering of mechanics may be needed to make this even a viable path to take, since the board chunk would be so small. Work on progress on this one.

Next up: The Islands. With the ravines, hills, and crags of the Highlands flooded, only the higher altitudes survive as islands. here, the entrance to the islands remains at the crags, and to keep board flavor consistent the Islands entrance and some of the first tier can be shoreline from the main board, but most of this board is water with a few land spaces dotted here and there. This would also keep this corner's theme consistent with the highlands expansion, because this area would still have gems and gold treasure troves, maybe some hidden in waterlogged caves and some now isolated on various island areas. The big baddie for the Islands region would become some sort of seabird, maybe an Albatross or something similar.

Then another small board between the Island and the final corner expansion, and another small chunk between the Undersea and the final corner. It would behave much like the small boards between the Floodplain and the Undersea, and the Floodplain and the Islands, connecting the Islands and Undersea with...

Finally: Drowned Town, which replaces the woodland with a flooded necropolis. The entrance to Drowned Town would be from the Graveyard (or whatever the space is called on the Cataclysm board) instead of the Forest, and it would incorporate a flooded city full of undead, skeletons, liches, spirits, etc. This is a way to get the Necropolis expansion you mentioned while still keeping the flavor of the Overseas expansion. This may take more the flavor of the Woodlands with new deck mechanics, or there could be a big baddie there as well.

So, my thoughts on how a full-blown sea expansion could work with the new world after the apocalypse, while still not needing more table/playspace real estate than the current main board + 4 corners takes up now. Plus, you could still play this with the original main board too.

Plus, think of the massive campaign possibilities. First you play the main board + 4 corners, then the apocalypse hits, and you reset the game to the Cataclysm and Overseas boards. Epic Talisman indeed. :D

Edited by bowlwoman

You've spent some time on this. Very interesting!

Yeah, we're seriously contemplating a homebrew mockup just to see if it would even work. I think it fits in well thematically. Plus, Pirates!

We've already started a small necropolis mockup between the Woodland and Highlands boards and have done some VERY rudimentary play testing, but I think a replacement corner board would be the way to go.

The only expansions I want to see now is just the addition of more characters plus more "bags of gold" adventure cards and plastic gold coin tokens.

The only expansions I want to see now is just the addition of more characters plus more "bags of gold" adventure cards and plastic gold coin tokens.

I'm thinking about getting plastic crystals (like those in Caverna) to represent 3 or 5 gold. Sometimes players have 10 or even 20 coins and it makes a mess.

I'm thinking about getting plastic crystals (like those in Caverna) to represent 3 or 5 gold. Sometimes players have 10 or even 20 coins and it makes a mess.

Reading you on FM there :) . Mind you there is something deeply satisfying having a character with a pile of 20+ gold coins.

I bought actual ancient roman coins from like 200 a.d. eBay to use as gold, they are surprisingly cheap enough and give a total legit feel to the game.

^ Whaaaaat??? I should report your post for bs-ing.

How cheap is cheap really? I mean to a rich man a $100 is peanuts. I find it hard to believe that ancient Roman coins cost about a buck.

Search for ancient Roman coins on eBay. I paid a buck a coin.

Search for ancient Roman coins on eBay. I paid a buck a coin.

Very possible they are fake but because your using them as tokens "who cares" :) .

Yeah it doesn't matter to me really but they aren't fakes I would stake my life on it, apparently they are very common, and unless they are in superb condition they are pretty much worthless. I've found all kinds of wierd stuff online, did you know you can buy pieces of the dock from the original Friday the 13th for like $90 bucks and that they also say some wierd secretion from the tomb that houses the bones of the real Santa Claus as a healing oil? I bought the wood but havent been able to bring myself to buy the secretion lol.

Yeah it doesn't matter to me really but they aren't fakes I would stake my life on it, apparently they are very common, and unless they are in superb condition they are pretty much worthless. I've found all kinds of wierd stuff online, did you know you can buy pieces of the dock from the original Friday the 13th for like $90 bucks and that they also say some wierd secretion from the tomb that houses the bones of the real Santa Claus as a healing oil? I bought the wood but havent been able to bring myself to buy the secretion lol.

yeah sure they are real :) , but your right it really doesn't matter. And thanks for the heads up on the other pointless items online which are completely off topic and have no real bearing on what we are discussing in this thread.

Edited by Uvatha