Success token allocation and shadows question confirmation

By me1034, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Hey there gang! Just got WQ and love it so far. I just have a couple of questions / confirmations I'd like to ask:

1. When you perform an aid action and award success tokens to another player, does the receiving player have to determine at that moment upon which action they will place the tokens? Or can they hold them until their turn in a pool and then allocate them when their turn starts?

2. The instructions state that before you roll the dice for an action, you spend success tokens. Does this mean that, for example, if a hero has 2 success tokens placed on their attack action from someone else's aid action, they can spend those two successes to defeat a monster before even rolling the dice? (Thereby eliminating any engaged monsters rolling the black die during the attack roll)?

3. I have 2 hero's with ranged attacks and a monster in the shadows who's only attack bar instructions are retreat and inflict. I'm taking this to mean that the monster may never move to either engagement zone unless I choose to "engage" it - pulling it in to my engagement zone. Does this mean that I could elect not to "engage it" but instead attack it with both characters' ranged attacks, never having to roll the black enemy die because the enemy has not been "engaged" or pulled into either engagement zone. Is that correct?

Thanks all for your help!

1: You have to place the tokens on an action and can only use tokens on that action (RRG 5, 14).

2: No, you get the success symbols but the results aren't applied until after the dice are rolled (RRG 4).

3: You'd still have to roll black dice for any other enemy engaged with the hero but you wouldn't need to roll for the night goblin.

Thanks so much for your help. Re:#1, yes I read those segments. To me, the instructions didn't really point out he exact timing. It states "a player can place any claimed success tokens on one or more action cards..."

It would be nice if it was more clearly stated that the player must assign the tokens to an action or actions upon receipt.

Understood on 2 and 3. Thanks!