Need fellow GM input on my Mission

By bloodsoup0311, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

This mission is a continuance to the plot that was started with the beginning mission in the CRB. This saw the kill team recovering a data core and the Arch Magos after he crash landed on a planet being devoured by the Tryanids.

Mission Brief- After decrypting the data core we have found information about a mechanicus research facility that has been monitoring the tryanid invasion since it began in the Jericho reach. How it is able to hide from the hive mind we do not know. Yet the latest entry from the facility was a request for aid do to be assaulted by an unknown force. The kill team will be sent in to retrieve any information before the unknown threat find and destroy the facility. We cannot send a astropathic message due to the proximity of the hive mind without risk of alerting the enemy. We will supply you with Deathwatch override protocols which according to the Master of the Forge will give you complete access and allow the retrieval of all the data from the facility.

Primary Obj- to retrieve any and all information from the cogitator banks of the research facility.

Sec Obj- To find and eliminate the threat to the facility.

Sec Obj- Rescue any high ranking Adeptus personnel still alive for debrief.

The mission will go awry from the start here I will list the broad points as its very difficult to predict what exactly the Team will do or avoid in the mission.

The team will come out of warp within vox range of the facility but the station will not reply. One of the bay stations will be open to the void and the team will be able to land a small ship and close the doors to start clearing the facility. From here the Kill Team loses vox communication with the vessel that brought them here.

The kill team will need to explore the facility on their own as they don’t have any maps.

The kill team will find the facility a ruined mess of blood and servitors the only intact personnel they will find will be a handful of tech adepts who have gone crazy and do nothing but ramble on in tech lingua.

The team will quickly find out that the facility is not for research or monitoring the Tryanids but is a R&D Facility that is loaded with different specimens from the Local hive fleet.

Multiple rooms that are not labeled will contain different types of Tryanid enemies.

Located randomly throughout the facility albeit in the best areas for an ambush is an enemy Kill team made up of Chaos versions of the PC’s. The deathwatch team will only encounter one enemy at a time as they are extremely higher rank and the fights will only last 3-5 rounds.

The cogitators banks in the facility have been booby trapped with trip wires into the room as well as a virus inside the cogitator which will attack the tech priests should he jack in to gleam any information. While this happens a horde of tech priests that have been infected by nurgle will attack the Kill team.

With successful defeat of the virus the tech priest will be able to locate the device the facility was creating that would help fight the tryanids. From here the mission becomes one of urgency as the tech priests also learns that the device has been removed without the proper rites and prayers which could only mean it is being stolen.

At the same time the Ship finally breaks through to the kill team to transmit that an enemy vessel has appeared on their scanners and is plotting a direct path to the facility.

When the kill team arrives at the location of the device they find the Chaos kill team on the opposite side of the room with one of them holding the Device. The leader of the CKT laughs and makes some kind of joke about their incompetence than slashes the air in front of him and creates a slit into the warp and dives through. The CKT follows suit and the kill team is left to deal with horde of Daemon Rabble

From here the Kill team can stay and fight, which will let the enemy ship, get away without further incident. Or they can disengage and try to make it back to the ship to give chase.

If they disengage this allows the facility to be completely taken over and must be destroyed. If they stay and fight this will allow them to re secure the station for later retrieval and reuse.

The mission will end with the enemy ship getting away either by a large margin or just barely depending on the Kill teams actions with the Daemons.

Missions Objectives will change so the team will get exp if they make one of the chaos marines use a Fatepoint, If they stay and secure the facility saving it for the imperium. Or if they get enough DOS to repel the virus and retrieve what was left of the information.

So what does everyone think? Any suggestions comments, complaints or ideas are welcome.

PS I know my punctuation needs serious work :ph34r:

This is an interesting follow-up on the original adventure from the core book. I do like the idea of the Chaos kill team. It makes perfect sense that the Tech Priests would be doing unthinkable experiments using live Tyranids, it totally fits their machine like arrogance.

There are a few points of concern that you should consider.

1) Meeting the CKT individually. One thing I have learned is that space marines can pump out a LOT of damage in a short period of time. Even if you make the people they are fighting rank 6, that still doesn't change how much damage they can soak. One KT member with a multi-melta and a good roll could slag your seasoned bad guys. There are ways around this, but it is something to think about.

2) The CKT mocking the players and leaping through the warp hole to their ship. I like this, but you are creating a false objective of rescuing the Device. Speaking from experience, players HATE being told "go do this" only to discover "this" was never possible. You know your player group better than I do, so they might be cool with it. It is a good set-up for a long running rivalry - you are really giving the PCs a reason to detest these Chaos Marines. You'll have to manage their frustration levels carefully.

3) The choice between chasing the Chaos ship and saving the Facility. You will not allow the players to catch the Chaos ship - the story will not permit it. This, again, is a false objective. Don't get me wrong, I like this one because it hammers home that bad decisions have consequences, even for space marines. However, it raises the same frustration potential as above. If the players chase the ship and make good rolls and/or have good ideas, you should give them something. Perhaps the chaos ship leaves damaged, trailing smoke as it jumps int the warp. Or perhaps the players manage to destroy it, but the CKT survives due to a Sorcerous ritual that whisks them through the Warp to safety. Of course, their superiors are not happy with them for loosing their ship, so now the CKT is pissed at these upstart Astartes...

Those are my two cents. Hope they help!

Sounds nice so far.

My thoughts while reading:

"tech adepts who have gone crazy and do nothing but ramble on in tech lingua."

-> Every good Tech Marine knows lingua technis. A Tech Marines might try to get more out of this.

Virus and Tech Marines... what happens if the TM **** up his rolls? I assume the virus will affect him, will it be a constant progress or an instant effect? What possibilitys for repair are there (I wouldn't trust those adepts...)?

As Praetor already said, single CSM / enemy versus a KT is a very, very bad idea in my opinion, as well. Player will do so ******* bad things to single enemys. On a KT with 4 Marines, he might dodge / parry the first two, or even three attacks. But what after? With a good weapon/ammunition a called shot to the head might be enough, and I don't want to talk about an Assault Marine attacking after your CSM got rid of his reactions. If you still plan on doing so, give them every tactical advance you can think of, to make them survive the encounter (heightened position, cover, fog covering them up, exploding plasmaconducts covering their retreat, etc). Don't buff them too hard with equipment though (like powerfields for every CSM), as this will leave a hell of a fight once the CSM rejoin.

Would it be possible for the KT to follow the CKT through the warp rift? I know some of my players would try for sure... on the other hand I guess hordes of daemons pouring out of it in direction of the KT should take care of that. But always think of the ******* fast assault marines going for a sprint.

Well, that's the things I'd give another couple of thoughts to, if I'd play that scenario with my group.

Suggestions from the mind of a deranged priest of the Adeptus Ministorum.

From a purely fluff perspective you might find it more sense to name them as Magos Biologis the investigation and experimentation on Xenos species anatomy are covered by them over Tech Priests who primarily stick to tech stuff. So if they are sticking probes into nids, thats their jurisdiction. That's just padding though.

Back to the plot at hand. Reading though and working on my second cup of warm beverage of the morning sounds like your standard "Recover this before nids or something else get it" mission. Staple and it works. Time constraints, logistical issues, unknown enemies, gradually diminishing extraction window, all the set pieces for a right Imperial rumble.

So you have them in a dark creepy lab, out of comms range with home base etc. Your virus thing might cause a nasty issue depending on the impact. I don't know the composition of your party to know but do you have a Tech-Marine or someone that might try to plug themselves (or a device) into the cogitator banks? If not, no issue for the players but if so, what would be the impact of them trying to engage with it? Fighting this virus meanwhile, not their concern really. Their job was to recover the data banks and they can leave the actual virus removal to proper technicians. After wiping out the immediate threat of possessed or deranged technicians trying to kill you, the rest is for someone else.

Marines meanwhile will wreck an opponent in single combat, especially an Elite like a CSM. If you are only throwing the CSM at the PCs one by one then they will struggle to last a round or two. Unless each CSM is in terminator armour, tooled up with shields and cover, has the drop on them etc, they will get wiped fairly quickly by a well coordinated team. Suggest that they pair up as really, a sole marine in any environment is not tactically viable. Chaos they may be but even a CSM has tactical sense to not go alone and to use their wits. They are identical in skill and co-ordination to the KT and be prepared to have a way out for them otherwise a player can easily do their damnedest to keep them in check. Suggest them having them in defendable positions that they cannot be pinned down or locked in melee at because otherwise someone will just attempt a grapple and without some dice fumbling, plot armour or GM intervention they will keep them there and your enemy team will just be left at one remaining El Generallisimo.

Onto your boss meanwhile, hope you've prepped for someone to interrupt their monologue. GM menace number 2, players screwing with your super villain trying to get out his speech. I've had that so many times, players just do not respect that and I have on many occasions had to say:

"Look, I spent ages writing this **** monologue of evil and I bloody intend to get chance to use it so your action can wait. Have some sense of theatrics!"

So you may need a way of giving them plot armour otherwise you might find all the PCs managing a simultaneous strike and four headshots. Suggest a physical barrier in the way like a bullet resistant/proof screen between him and the players. It will give you a round to escape if they do try anything like that because again, even an enemy like a marine can be one shotted in a single round.

Their primary objectives were to retrieve any information from the research facility, therefore any KT would probably be more inclined to give pursuit of the traitor marine above all other option. Not just because it is a foul traitor who has turned from the Emperor's light but because it was their primary function. Defence of the base and securing it from threats were, by your own decision, secondary. They shouldn't be sticking about to defend it as they will lose ground and possibly fail their primary.

Edited by Calgor Grim

This is an interesting follow-up on the original adventure from the core book. I do like the idea of the Chaos kill team. It makes perfect sense that the Tech Priests would be doing unthinkable experiments using live Tyranids, it totally fits their machine like arrogance.

There are a few points of concern that you should consider.

1) Meeting the CKT individually. One thing I have learned is that space marines can pump out a LOT of damage in a short period of time. Even if you make the people they are fighting rank 6, that still doesn't change how much damage they can soak. One KT member with a multi-melta and a good roll could slag your seasoned bad guys. There are ways around this, but it is something to think about.

2) The CKT mocking the players and leaping through the warp hole to their ship. I like this, but you are creating a false objective of rescuing the Device. Speaking from experience, players HATE being told "go do this" only to discover "this" was never possible. You know your player group better than I do, so they might be cool with it. It is a good set-up for a long running rivalry - you are really giving the PCs a reason to detest these Chaos Marines. You'll have to manage their frustration levels carefully.

3) The choice between chasing the Chaos ship and saving the Facility. You will not allow the players to catch the Chaos ship - the story will not permit it. This, again, is a false objective. Don't get me wrong, I like this one because it hammers home that bad decisions have consequences, even for space marines. However, it raises the same frustration potential as above. If the players chase the ship and make good rolls and/or have good ideas, you should give them something. Perhaps the chaos ship leaves damaged, trailing smoke as it jumps int the warp. Or perhaps the players manage to destroy it, but the CKT survives due to a Sorcerous ritual that whisks them through the Warp to safety. Of course, their superiors are not happy with them for loosing their ship, so now the CKT is pissed at these upstart Astartes...

Those are my two cents. Hope they help!

1. I apologize for not clarifying about the interactions with the enemy kill team. I have no plans to have them deploy anywhere near the whole kill team. Some of the ambushes i have in mind, Lone Alpha legion Heavy gunner with Reaper Autocannon starting off on the opposite edge of the main service hallway which is about 200m away from the kill team ( its a long main hall way lol ) this will essentially force the team to move into other rooms or bum rush the CSM. But he is alpha legion so as soon as they start to close that distance or pull some crazy maneuver he would bolt behind the blast doors he was standing infront of.

2. you are completely correct i think i will implement more booby traps throughout the facility which will make the kill team more cautious and base who gets the device on how fast they decide to move from the cogitator banks to the devices locations. this of course is assuming they go to the cogitator banks first and don't stumble upon the device before hand.

3. Im just going to use your whole idea for the CKT escape. Which will totally help build some animosity between the teams depending on the outcome.

Also just to clarify this is the Kill teams 2nd mission ever so do not have access to some of the more dangerous weapons yet.

thank you very much Praetor for your input and ideas it is greatly appreciated.

Sounds nice so far.

My thoughts while reading:

"tech adepts who have gone crazy and do nothing but ramble on in tech lingua."

-> Every good Tech Marine knows lingua technis. A Tech Marines might try to get more out of this.

Virus and Tech Marines... what happens if the TM **** up his rolls? I assume the virus will affect him, will it be a constant progress or an instant effect? What possibilitys for repair are there (I wouldn't trust those adepts...)?

As Praetor already said, single CSM / enemy versus a KT is a very, very bad idea in my opinion, as well. Player will do so ******* bad things to single enemys. On a KT with 4 Marines, he might dodge / parry the first two, or even three attacks. But what after? With a good weapon/ammunition a called shot to the head might be enough, and I don't want to talk about an Assault Marine attacking after your CSM got rid of his reactions. If you still plan on doing so, give them every tactical advance you can think of, to make them survive the encounter (heightened position, cover, fog covering them up, exploding plasmaconducts covering their retreat, etc). Don't buff them too hard with equipment though (like powerfields for every CSM), as this will leave a hell of a fight once the CSM rejoin.

Would it be possible for the KT to follow the CKT through the warp rift? I know some of my players would try for sure... on the other hand I guess hordes of daemons pouring out of it in direction of the KT should take care of that. But always think of the ******* fast assault marines going for a sprint.

Well, that's the things I'd give another couple of thoughts to, if I'd play that scenario with my group.

I was actually thinking about the Tech Marine understanding their rabble at work lol and i was thinking of inserting a plot point for the next Campaign ( the first campaign is mainly against the Tyranids) maybe have them keep repeating " the seven is coming" " praise the seven" this would be a very obscure reference to the Terminus Est a Nurgle flag ship.

the Assault Marine for my group is a salamander so even for his class he wont leave his team behind.....but there is always a chance lol ill have to write some stuff up just incase he does decide to make that sprint.

Thank you for the input Avdnm its very appreciated.

Edited by bloodsoup0311

Suggestions from the mind of a deranged priest of the Adeptus Ministorum.

From a purely fluff perspective you might find it more sense to name them as Magos Biologis the investigation and experimentation on Xenos species anatomy are covered by them over Tech Priests who primarily stick to tech stuff. So if they are sticking probes into nids, thats their jurisdiction. That's just padding though.

Back to the plot at hand. Reading though and working on my second cup of warm beverage of the morning sounds like your standard "Recover this before nids or something else get it" mission. Staple and it works. Time constraints, logistical issues, unknown enemies, gradually diminishing extraction window, all the set pieces for a right Imperial rumble.

So you have them in a dark creepy lab, out of comms range with home base etc. Your virus thing might cause a nasty issue depending on the impact. I don't know the composition of your party to know but do you have a Tech-Marine or someone that might try to plug themselves (or a device) into the cogitator banks? If not, no issue for the players but if so, what would be the impact of them trying to engage with it? Fighting this virus meanwhile, not their concern really. Their job was to recover the data banks and they can leave the actual virus removal to proper technicians. After wiping out the immediate threat of possessed or deranged technicians trying to kill you, the rest is for someone else.

Marines meanwhile will wreck an opponent in single combat, especially an Elite like a CSM. If you are only throwing the CSM at the PCs one by one then they will struggle to last a round or two. Unless each CSM is in terminator armour, tooled up with shields and cover, has the drop on them etc, they will get wiped fairly quickly by a well coordinated team. Suggest that they pair up as really, a sole marine in any environment is not tactically viable. Chaos they may be but even a CSM has tactical sense to not go alone and to use their wits. They are identical in skill and co-ordination to the KT and be prepared to have a way out for them otherwise a player can easily do their damnedest to keep them in check. Suggest them having them in defendable positions that they cannot be pinned down or locked in melee at because otherwise someone will just attempt a grapple and without some dice fumbling, plot armour or GM intervention they will keep them there and your enemy team will just be left at one remaining El Generallisimo.

Onto your boss meanwhile, hope you've prepped for someone to interrupt their monologue. GM menace number 2, players screwing with your super villain trying to get out his speech. I've had that so many times, players just do not respect that and I have on many occasions had to say:

"Look, I spent ages writing this **** monologue of evil and I bloody intend to get chance to use it so your action can wait. Have some sense of theatrics!"

So you may need a way of giving them plot armour otherwise you might find all the PCs managing a simultaneous strike and four headshots. Suggest a physical barrier in the way like a bullet resistant/proof screen between him and the players. It will give you a round to escape if they do try anything like that because again, even an enemy like a marine can be one shotted in a single round.

Their primary objectives were to retrieve any information from the research facility, therefore any KT would probably be more inclined to give pursuit of the traitor marine above all other option. Not just because it is a foul traitor who has turned from the Emperor's light but because it was their primary function. Defence of the base and securing it from threats were, by your own decision, secondary. They shouldn't be sticking about to defend it as they will lose ground and possibly fail their primary.

My Fluff knowledge of the adeptus Mechanicus is pretty limited compared to some of the other factions in 40k. So i will definetly be changing it to the Biologis sect thank you for that.

The kill team consists of a assualt salamander, Librarian Salamander, Iron hands Tech Marine, Dark Angel Heavy Gunner, Imperial Fists Apothecary.

concerning the virus i have planned my tech marine is very plug into everything ask questions later he is just like that lol. hence implementing a virus, for the dice rolls i was just going to have him gradually take tech use tests which get harder or easier depending on his DOS or DOF. the virus will lock him in and he would have to defeat it before it would allow him to jack out if he for some reason is pulled from the machine lets say by a team mate, i was going to have him lose the use of his Arm attachments on his back back and give him a negative on tech use till he can take the time to remove it from his systems. Pretty much this whole virus and attack scenario is competently dependent on the fact that the tech marine PC loves to plug into everything.

Another of the CKT encounters is depending on if the kill team splits up i have a nightlord warp talon standing by. but again this enemy would only come out if the kill team splits up to cover more ground in the facility.

Guess i forgot about the PCs not respecting theatrics ill have to change this up to maybe the CKT leader speaks through the Deamon Rabbles mouths after he leaves and mocks the kill team as they engage each other??? for some reason i always think they are going to let the enemy do some talking lol.

Calgor you are correct about the mission objectives..... two primary objectives ?? maybe let the kill team decide what they do both would be completely the primary and will keep them from feeling like failures at least completely no matter what they decide. Thanks for pointing that one out im sure i would of kicked myself if i hadnt noticed.

Calgor Grim thank you as well for your input and if i have any more inquires about the adeptus mechanicus please expect a message should the wiki and lexicanum fail me.

I wrote a computer/virus system a while ago, if you're interested I might send it to you. If you don't happen to be german I just have to translate it ;)

Calgor Grim thank you as well for your input and if i have any more inquires about the adeptus mechanicus please expect a message should the wiki and lexicanum fail me.

All we insist as a proper thank you is you come back and tell us all how it went! :)

May the Dice Gods (and the Emperor) be on your side...

Avdnm if you could send that to me it would be great and very much appreciated.

I was actually thinking out recording the session for YouTube since we are just starting out in this campaign i think it would be a great tool for other GMs to pull ideas. But i will most definetly be giving you guys a debrief when we finish it hopefully by the end of the month due to scheduling issues and some of my players starting school soon.

Hi everyone it has been a long time and i have not forgotten about you guys just work kicking my butt. I will be copying and pasting a synopsis that one of my players wrote for the mission we ran, obviously things did not go according to plan as the group completely by passed the biome set up on the lower floor for Testing which is where some of the heavier hitters where lying in wait. Overall it was a great mission and thank you all for the input.

Today while playing Deathwatch, we were sent to a secret illegal Adeptus Mechanicus facility to save the day. After an early encounter with gene stealers, things turned very strange. First, my Dark Angel Devastator noticed a Chaos Space Marine leveling an autocannon at us from down the hall, out of range of my heavy bolter. Luckily, I noticed in time that we were able to dodge, and his attack was wasted. After that the Traitor Marine vanished down the hall, and was not seen again for quite some time.

We turned a corner and proceeded through a couple of rooms that were surprisingly clean for a station that was suffering from an infestation from both Tyranids and the Ruinous Powers, especially since we later found evidence that the patron of these Chaos worshipers was Grandfather Nurgle, the Plague Lord. After a near unfortunate occurrence involving some turrets and me, our Assault Marine was dragged back into the hallway by a Tyranid Lictor, though he retreated when we all came to his aid. In the next room we found a computer bank that told us that this facility was devoted to three things: Heresy, Heresy, and More Heresy! The tech-priests running this station had been trying to perfect the Tyranid form, and were also trying to develop a means by which they could be controlled. After discovering this, we came under attack by the Chaos tainted servitors that had once served the station. They came through vents, through the floor and the walls by the dozen, but our hand flamers and my heavy bolter saw us through, and showed that a hundred servitors were no match for three Space Marines. It would have been four, but our Techmarine was fighting his own battle. The next room would have held the device in question, but it had already been looted by the Traitor Marines.

At that point we'd run out of path, so we turned back and went the other way. It was pretty smooth sailing, aside from the fact that we almost forgot about a trap we'd set, and thus, nearly blew ourselves up with it. On the other side of the station, we found very little information, but there was a horror show. We found an elevator going down to what was apparently a biome where the captured Tyranids were allowed to run free, and we found a number of vats where the Tyranids were being stored. Further on, we found the slabs where the operations were performed, and in one of those rooms, it looked like a procedure was interrupted, though there were no bodies anywhere to be found. At that point, one of the Traitor Marines contacted us, suggesting that they were waiting on the lower floor, though our Librarian reached out into the Warp and located them nearby. After slogging through the near liquified remains of the tech priests that had operated the station, we found the Chaos Space Marines, just in time to see them flee through a Warp portal. The Sorcerer leading them summoned a Daemon Knight to cover their escape. It was a terrible fight, and none of us made it through unscathed, but in the end our Librarian slew it. At that point, we would have proceeded to the lower levels to cleanse the station of its Tyranid infestation, but we were contacted by the captain of the Battle Barge that had been our transport and told that they were moving to pursue a fleeing Chaos vessel. Not wishing to be left behind, we chose to extract at that point, leaving the Adeptus Mechanicus to clean up their own mess when they retook the station.

Long story short, it was a hell of a time. That last fight with the Daemon was so hairy that I started thinking about what my next character might be, if we were to die. My initial thought was a Space Wolf Apothecary, but apparently Space Wolves are too hopped up on Viking stuff to be healers, so that went out the window.

You succeeded in the primary role of GMing: everyone had a great time. Congrats on a job well done!

Adding the Daemon Knight was inspired. Kicking the crap out of your the characters without butchering them is a hard thing in Deathwatch, but you manged it. Kudos!

Dare I hope that your players have developed a dislike of the Chaos marines that will lead to a grand rivalry?

Let us know if you ever need more suggestions or need a sounding board for adventure ideas.

Thank you Praetor

The Daemon knight was something I had to write up real quick on the fly when they bypassed all the major obstacles.

But due to there drive to hunt down the Chaos Marines I do need help from everyone on how to narrate or keep the characters engaged for the impending space chase and combat.

Has anyone done a encounter like this before? If so how did you write it up and what did you have the characters do to keep them entertained.

Also I will be recording our next game session and putting it on my youtube channel.

I haven't had to do it in Deathwatch, but I have run other games where the PC's got stuck in ship-to-ship combat where they can't really impact the course of the outcome. It's a problem because as the GM you have this big dramatic scene that is important, but for if the PC's have no impact on the outcome, it is hard for them to be engaged.

What I have done is "Who wants to make the ship's Piloting rolls? Who wants make the captain's tactics rolls? Who wants to roll for the gun batteries? Who wants to do damage control?" This way, even though the Kill-team isn't helping, the players stay invested in the outcome. You just give them the skill ranks of the nameless NPC's and let them roll dice. They could also make decisions on whether to target the enemy ship's weapons, or their engines. How do they prioritize damage control, do they repair the void shields, or get the forward lance battery back online? You could also use this as a chance to impress them with the scale of the combat. "You hit with the Macro-cannon? Roll ten dice for damage." Of course, each ship should have around a thousand hit points and take a critical effect every 100 wounds.

You could also have the chaos ship start teleporting back boarding parties of cultists/demons/chaos spawn/murder servitors, etc.

Genius Sir,

The chaos ship will unleash a new kind of weapon sending a shock wave through the Kill teams ship. Which will kill servitors and some of the crew but also knock out the crew responsible for Damage and shield control as well as all the weapon batteries. This will require two of the team to stay and man each of those stations but free up the other members to help repel borders.

im going to start today in creating all the different modules. Might have to check out battle fleet gothic armada for some more ideas.

Thank you again Praetor for putting me in the right direction.

im going to start today in creating all the different modules. Might have to check out battle fleet gothic armada for some more ideas.

And don't hesitate to post your ideas here :)

Might have to check out battle fleet gothic armada for some more ideas.

Rogue Trader books are a good source of information/inspiration too.

ok so what I have so far is the team starts from the loading bay of their ship. while en route to the command deck the kill teams ship is hit with a psychic scream ( similar to the weapon used by the night lords from the books) this will kill the workers who are stationed at the weapon battery terminals and ship power terminal. when the team arrives to the bridge they will have to decide who will man the two stations leaving behind two members and the rest will be used to repel boarders that the enemy ship is firing at the kill team.

the weapons battery controls will allow for energy allocation to the following systems the total cannot exceed 100%

Prow weapons- torpedo's ( un able to aim, requires leading the target and hope the ship stays on that course)

Star board macro cannons ( 4 macro cannons to be used if the ship can get along side the enemy)

Port Side macro cannons ( 4 macro cannons to be used if the ship can get along side the enemy)

Defensive batteries ( for every 10% of power allocated here this will reduce the number of boarder that attack the ship making it easier for the rest of the kill team to clean up the attackers.

Nova Cannon ( this will require one to two full turns to charge but will allow targeting of the engines to and will most likely result in major damage.

Engine power will control how fast the ship can catch up to the enemy but must weigh either dodging the enemy attacks, catching up or staying on course for better aim for the weapons.

engine power - if this is kept at above 70% then the ship will start to close the distance with the enemy for every turn it stays that high. This will negatively impact the weapons being fired and make the ship more susceptible to enemy fire.

starboard thrusters - moving more then 35% power here will help the ship avoid torpedoes and assault craft.

port side thrusters- moving more then 35% power here will help the ship avoid torpedoes and assault craft.

Booster - Full burn will give the ship a full turn worth of extra speed lower chance of being hit but making the weapons almost useless while the ship is boosting. Booster will require 4 full turns to recharge before it can be used again.

The goal of the enemy ship is to escape. depending on the kill teams actions this mission will end either with a boarding action on the enemy ship or following them into the warp. If the kill team doesn't stop them then, depending on how damaged the ship is and how far behind they are they will arrive at the enemies destination to find a planet and varying degrees of revolt against the imperium. the stage of the revolt depends completely on the time the kill team needed to catch up. but because of warp travel every minute they are behind will be one week time passing for the planet.

As always any input is greatly appreciated and I will be recording this session when I do run this mission for everyone to critique and view.

Edited by bloodsoup0311
but because of warp travel every minute they are behind will be one week time passing for the planet.

I really like what you put together, but this seems a bit much to me (52 minutes = a year later).

This is a great way to keep the players engaged during the chase scene, even better than what I had in mind.

I do agree with Avdnm, the amount of time distortion may be a little much, unless you expect them to be hot on the enemy's heels.

well i was honestly shooting for a short game session. My players are all showing up before a birthday BBQ so i was hoping to try and advance the story before the rest of the party guests show up and i figured this would be a great way to create some tension with the chase and buy me more time to create a fully fleshed out session either on the planet the chaos ship is headed too or with a boarding action.

but because of warp travel every minute they are behind will be one week time passing for the planet.

I really like what you put together, but this seems a bit much to me (52 minutes = a year later).

Sorry should of explained my reasons for this. we have two more players interested in joining and my thought process is that once the chaos kill team arrives they will start a covert mission to overthrow the planet and start a rebellion. This will trigger the watch station to send two Death Watch Marines ( ie the other two players) to investigate the cause and root it out. these players will arrive the same time as my main group. Also Chaos is playing the long game so they are not in a rush to expose their hand. I think 3-6 months would sound better though, 3 months being the best time right on their heels and 6 months worst case scenario. thank you guys for the input as always :)