Really, how good in DH2 now?

By StanTheMan, in Dark Heresy

So, long story short, I got some Christmas Amazon card stuff, and I've had my eye on getting into the Warhammer universe for a while now. I played the original Dark Heresy some years ago and liked the one session I played. However, I heard there were some character creation and combat issues, so didn't get the book myself.

Now, I've already been exposed to FFG (I got EotE and AoR), so I see the books are of excellent quality. So, I figure, since DH2 is out and people have played it awhile, maybe folks can say: is it really good? Is it good enough to plunk down $45-55 dollars for it? Anything still super broken, or all is now a-okay? Any pitfalls or traps for a GM new to the WH universe, or players for that matter?

I should add that I am a long time gamer, 25+ years, just didn't get into anything Warhammer 40K until, possibly, now. Obviously, if DH2 is good and my players like it (and I have one person at least who already thinks he'd like it), then, I'll eventually get the other books.

Like, how easy/hard to make a character? Imagine I'll have 4 players, and one DH2 book to pass around. How long will it take? Are there play aids or character generation aids out there? How hard to teach the rules? stuff like that.

I would recommend second edition for the following reasons, and this is all based on my opinion and experiences.

• The books are alot better laid out and more pleasing to the eye allowing for better reading and finding of things.
  • Access to the newer material is alot easier then older material which will often be second hand, while there is nothing wrong with second hand content it does come with the risks, ive had many books with stains, damaged content that was not visible, ect and while this can be chased up it is often alot easier with company's such as amazon which you comment on.
  • Character creation is alot more open allowing more varied characters from game to game, allowing different combinations and freedom.
  • alot of content from DH1 can be transferred over to two with little effort, and in many cases the DH2 community has already done it.
  • The rules for both systems are not hard to learn, but you may take years to master them. It is one of those games at least a few times you will have to stop everything and search through the books to find what you need or to check something.
  • There is a Application for tablets with a character sheet creator ect, ive heard it's quite good but something DH1 does not have.

Really there is not to much difference in the systems , there is enough difference for it to be a real second edition and not a 1.5 people have been ranting about. But it does have it's flaws then again so does DH1 but for a new player and GM DH2 is a good shoot, and you do not have to worry about getting alot of the books that can be hard to uncover.

Thank you for your comments and thoughts. I've finally decided NOT to get DH2, and instead spent that Christmas Amazon stuff on Force and Destiny (completing my SW collection, since I already have EotE and AoR). Just made my order, so this thread is unnecessary. At least for me. ;) Hey, FFG got my money anyway! Sort of.

Thank you for your comments and thoughts. I've finally decided NOT to get DH2, and instead spent that Christmas Amazon stuff on Force and Destiny (completing my SW collection, since I already have EotE and AoR). Just made my order, so this thread is unnecessary. At least for me. ;) Hey, FFG got my money anyway! Sort of.

There is always ebay, Ive seen a few second editions floating about unused.

I agree with much of commissar William.

In the end, many of the stuff is similar and people tends to prefers either class based character creation or aptitudes based system. Some hate one and love the other, some like me like them both, and some hate both of them.

In the end, I think there were little changes to the rules from 1st ed to the 2nd, but those changes there is I like them most and there is actually no book creep as there is in 1st edition.

I recommend you going for 2nd, and if there is stuff (monsters, weapons, gear, concepts) that you want from 1st, they're very easy to convert (or you can even not convert them and they'll still work).

Have fun!

DH2 is more than enough to have lot fun only with the corebook, anyway!