8 Factions, or stay at 6

By Tekwych, in Star Wars: The Card Game

With First order and resistance factions coming from the new movie would you prefer new factions or just add cards to the current faction.

Should FO be just a part of Navy or should it be its own faction with its own objectives and the ability to splash it into any Dark side deck or should there only be the three factions to balance resources against?

Same with Resistance. Part of Rebellion or added as a forth faction to the light side?

I'd love to see them as 2 new factions. Not sure we will though.

I find it unlikely they will add two factions.

I'm thinking of mini factions like the new runners in ANR. They have to borrow hard from another faction but add a new mechanic or resource that the other faction can't do on it's own. Host another way to mix things up, move resources around, and make deck construction take another twist.

Us X-Wing people always said there would never be a third faction but lo and behold. First order and resistance would be a great addition and I think they will add them...... eventually

Us X-Wing people always said there would never be a third faction but lo and behold. First order and resistance would be a great addition and I think they will add them...... eventually

They did, although they both only have 1 ship. and don't forget scum.

Edited by SHADOWGUARD CHAMPION

Personally, I'd like to see custom alternate affiliation cards for the Republic/Resistance and First Order, but that would function as Rebel and Imperial affiliation cards. They're both offshoots of their Classic era predecessors, after all.

BTW, is there a difference between "faction" and "affiliation," or are the two interchangeable? This has been confusing me for a while.

BTW, is there a difference between "faction" and "affiliation," or are the two interchangeable? This has been confusing me for a while.

As far as I can tell, no. Here is the description of factions from the FAQ:

A player’s “faction” is denoted by his affiliation card. This enables other cards in the game to be identified as being “in-faction” or “out-of-faction.”

An in-faction card is any card that shares an affiliation with its controller’s affiliation card. An out-of-faction card is any card that does not share an affiliation with its controller’s affiliation card. Note that a mission card under an opponent’s control is, by default, out-of-faction.

I suppose "out-of-faction" is more concise than "does not match its controller's affiliation card."

Regarding the original topic, I want the original factions to continue growing, so I'd prefer to avoid adding two completely new affiliations. I'd be okay with new affiliations that have unusual abilities or open up certain cards while locking out others so long as they draw primarily from the existing card pool.

If the designers went ahead and added a core 2.0 as they did with X-Wing, I'm sure that it could work, provided that only FO and Resistance cards were thrown into the mix. One thing that they could then do going forward is have dual objectives that provide resource matches for multiple affiliations (similarly to Magic's dual land cards). That's just my 2 credits' worth though.

I believe it will be interesting to see what if anything they do. I would personally like to see other affiliations added, though the "mini" affiliation mentioned from Netrunner sounds interesting and may work.

Would rather they go the "mini" faction route as that way seems like it would just offer more design space.

If they were to release even a single new full faction it would dilute the cardpool and Force Pack distribution too much. But there is no limit to the number of small, self-contained mini-factions they could release that could borrow cards from a Primary faction (or even just a Light or Dark side).

Possiblities would certainly include Resistance and First Order, but could also include Republic (new and old), Trade Federation/Separatists, or even the old Sith Empires. I'm sure people more familiar with Star Wars could think of more off the top of your heads.

And not only would that free up a lot of thematic design space but it would also allow for the designers to experiment with different concepts in a self-contained way without it being able to spread to the entire cardpool.

If they do add two new factions it should absolutely be the Trade Federation and The Old Republic. Long live the prequels!!!!

Should they be called "The Old Republic" and "The New Republic," or should one be old/new while the other is simply The Republic?

If they do add two new factions it should absolutely be the Trade Federation and The Old Republic. Long live the prequels!!!!

Lol. Do I detect just a hint of sarcasm there? :D

Jokes aside, I really like the idea of the prequels--a deeper, more complex narrative that allowed for a deeper dive into the history and culture of the setting. It was always the execution that was the problem. A lot of that can be leveled at George Lucas simply being out of his depth trying to write what was by necessity a more complex plot as well as some poor casting choices--though in fairness, they weren't exactly given much to work with in the script dialogue.

Still--I like the concept of the prequels much more than either the original trilogy (which are honestly very breezy, light action movies at their heart) or Episode VII (which I found...problematic). I just wish it was put together better (on every level, from writing to direction to acting).

...all of which has nothing to do with the game. So...yeah. I'm feeling off-topic today, I guess.

I think that adding any more factions will make the game confusing for new players. However I like the idea of having multiple factions for multiple play styles. They would just have to balance those two ideas, but I have faith they'll figure it out.

I'm still holding out hope they add Separatists/Republic and First Order/Resistance.

I don't care about how to make it work, the logistics of fitting all affiliations in the Force packs, etc, etc. That's FFG's job to figure out. As a fan, I just want my General Grievous, Count Dooku, Mace Windu, Padme, Rey/Finn/Poe/Kylo, etc, etc. cards.

We're missing out on 4 out of 7 movies worth of stuff right now. And for what? Because FFG says this game has to stick to an "original trilogy timeline"? Good business plan there; this is STAR WARS and I don't think this game is even one of the top 4 selling LCGs. Ridiculous.

Edited by Mattr0polis

Count Dooku, Mace Windu

Serious butt-kickers in every other Star Wars game I play. Bet they'd be fun. Dunno about the others, as I'm still collecting :P

Because FFG says this game has to stick to an "original trilogy timeline"?

I think this is a deal they made with LucasArts, pre-Disney. Renegotiating means dealing with The Mouse…

I don't think this game is even one of the top 4 selling LCGs. Ridiculous.

The only LCG even barely represented on the shelves here is Netrunner. The store blames Asmodee for being hard to order from, but in the meantime the mail-order companies have zero trouble getting stock. It's selling pretty quickly online too.

Because FFG says this game has to stick to an "original trilogy timeline"?

I think this is a deal they made with LucasArts, pre-Disney. Renegotiating means dealing with The Mouse…

This ^.

My understanding is that they do not have access to any content from Episodes 7-9 (or the Cannon content set after Episodes 4-6). Not sure about how much access they have to Episodes 1-3 but as they are allowed to use the Legends (previously, EU) content I would assume they also have at least some access to the prequels.

Main reason we don't have prequel content is probably just that it doesn't fit in well with the thematic structure of the game (both the majority of the factions and the Death Star mechanic). Not that that's an insurmountable challenge--I'm sure they could figure out a way to make it work (and again, I would love to seem them do some kind of mini-factions that can mix with an existing faction to explore this). But right now there's just not a lot of incentive for FFG to do it when they still have a lot of Legends content that is almost as recognizable to hardcore fans (and you probably haven't got this far in the cardpool if you aren't a fan) and doesn't have the negative stigma a lot of the prequel content does with a certain segment of the fanbase.

Ahsoka is from a spinoff series set during episodes 1-3, but not directly from them, right? It looks like FFG have access to spinoff/EU content, but no movie-material beyond episodes 4-6 (yet). And Disney themselves have decided EU content didn't happen, from what I remember. This is all going to be confusing, just like every other acquired property :)

The two Marvel universes (animated and live action) are not in sync either, and it looks like it's going to stay that way. I have no idea what those guys are doing anymore.