Armada World Cup - Vassal Tournament:

By BiggsIRL, in Star Wars: Armada

Biggs vs Chill is starting up shortly! Get you seat now!

Green Knight vs gowtah starting any minute

Chill beats Biggs! 520 - 215 for a 305 MOV and a 9-1 split

I was first player, and chose Precision Strike

And with that I get to sit back and relax while the rest of you jerks fight it out to see who will win it all!

(Biggs is mathematically eliminated from advancing to the elimination round)

Result?

I was first player, and chose Precision Strike.

'tis the DEVIL'S OWN MISSION!!! :angry: :P

Result?

They both had to head off for the night right after the game, (I joined just as it finished...). I'm sure they will post tomorrow, I believe Green Knight won, but I'm not sure with what MoV.

Zanos defeats DabDarklighter in a, frankly ridiculous game haha. I was 2nd player, objective was superior positions, final score was 341 - 234. 107 MOV, 7-3 win.

Result?

They both had to head off for the night right after the game, (I joined just as it finished...). I'm sure they will post tomorrow, I believe Green Knight won, but I'm not sure with what MoV.
Edited by Truthiness

Also, still nothing from Shadoer.

Result?

Pretty sure gowtah was tabled while only killing 3 A-Wings unfortunately, so 400-33 by my count. Well played by Green Knight. Also pretty sure it was Hyperspace Assault with Green Knight as first player.

Gowtahs Home One survived, as far as I rremember. They will report it in due time :)

Result?

Pretty sure gowtah was tabled while only killing 3 A-Wings unfortunately, so 400-33 by my count. Well played by Green Knight. Also pretty sure it was Hyperspace Assault with Green Knight as first player.

Gowtahs Home One survived, as far as I rremember. They will report it in due time :)

We will! :D

Still no response from Darth of the Dead since the tourney started.

Whelp. Darth is bounced. 8 & 61 wins for your pod.

Stand ins standing by...

Result?

Green Knight vs Gowtah
1st player: Green Knight
Objective: Hyperspace Assault
Score: 8-2
MOV: 241-33 = 208
Kind of weird game really, with 2 ships running off the board. No tabling involved though - his MC80 survived intact, taking only a couple of Awing shield hits that promptly repaired :)
Anyway, here is a quick recap (Gowtah has the log):
My 3AFs/Awing cloud vs. Gowtah's 4-ship Home One fleet with minimal Awing support. I picked 1st player - going 2nd while outnumbered is like the worst idea ever in Armada, especially if your opponent has a MC30 in their fleet. I picked Hyperspace Assault from his lineup - I've not played it too many times, but was confident in my ability to set up and maneuver my AFs in such a way that he would have a hard time with his hyperspace reserve (unsurprisingly he chose the MC30). Hyperspace Assault has a nice bonus for 1st player: 2nd player has one less ship until he hypers in. That can be a significant advantage (not in this game though).
I set up in the lower right corner, angling to the right to limit his viable jump point to just one while screening it with overlapping fire arcs. He set up in a tight clump in the middle of the board, heading straight down. I don't think that was the best setup I've seen Gowtah do, as it limited his maneuver options quite a bit - and eventually forced Home One entirely out of the fight. I arranged my commands and my maneuvering to receive the MC30 on round 2. That didn't happen, mostly because the rest of his fleet was too far away to give much support. The MC30 dropped in on round 3 instead, costing me a lot of "wasted" FC and Squadron commands, which in turn made my Awing much less effective that I had hoped for.
The rest of the game went smoothly, with my AFs swirling around the flank and leaving Home One far behind. Gowtah recovered masterfully, blocking my forward movement with the MC30 and AF, but losing a weakened Jaina's Light in the process. His MC30 was a bit too close to the edge of the board, however, and was destroyed near the end of the game. Same happened to the AF - a Comm Noise crit let me set his next command to Squadron, keeping him at speed 3 and headed straight into oblivion.
It was a long game that wasn't really decided until the very end of round 6.

Week 2 is almost to an end. Time for a score update:

POD 1   	Points	MOV	Games
Darth of t Dead	0	0	0
Ardaedhel	8	166	1
JRockNZ 	7	22	2
HeyChad 	5	0	1

POD2			
Shadoer 	0	0	1
Truthiness	9	254	2
clontroper5 - X	29	1013	3
Captain ICT	2	0	2

POD3			
Caribbean Ninja	6	19	2
AlexW   	5	0	2
Deadshane	1	0	1
JJs Juggernau-X	28	1005	3

POD4			
Audere1882	0	0	1
Icanspelgood	0	0	0
Madaghmire	10	400	1
Quadro28	0	0	0

POD5	
Cutter9999	9	245	1
DabDarklighter	3	0	2
Thanosazlin	8	192	1
Zanos   	0	0	0

POD6			
Onca    	2	0	1
Gowtah   	0	0	0
Green Knight	18	534	2
NebulonB	0	0	1

POD7			
Meidomeda	3	0	2
Chilligan	0	0	0
BiggsIRL	9	162	2
Doobleg 	18	503	2

POD8			
Qark    	1	0	1
godofcheese	0	0	0
Reath28  	19	704	2
Leowulf 	0	0	1

X = Clinched First Place

Y = Clinched Second Place

Edit: Pod 2, Pod 3 - good job. You folks are on schedule. Everyone else needs to pick up the pace.

POD 6 is the best: AFAIK there is only one game left :)

Doobleg vs Chilligan is set for Wednesday 11am GMT. Join us, won't you? :D

Result?

Green Knight vs Gowtah

Kind of weird game really, with 2 ships running off the board. No tabling involved though - his MC80 survived intact, taking only a couple of Awing shield hits that promptly repaired :)

My 3AFs/Awing cloud vs. Gowtah's 4-ship Home One fleet with minimal Awing support. I picked 1st player - going 2nd while outnumbered is like the worst idea ever in Armada, especially if your opponent has a MC30 in their fleet. I picked Hyperspace Assault from his lineup - I've not played it too many times, but was confident in my ability to set up and maneuver my AFs in such a way that he would have a hard time with his hyperspace reserve (unsurprisingly he chose the MC30). Hyperspace Assault has a nice bonus for 1st player: 2nd player has one less ship until he hypers in. That can be a significant advantage (not in this game though).

I set up in the lower right corner, angling to the right to limit his viable jump point to just one while screening it with overlapping fire arcs. He set up in a tight clump in the middle of the board, heading straight down. I don't think that was the best setup I've seen Gowtah do, as it limited his maneuver options quite a bit - and eventually forced Home One entirely out of the fight. I arranged my commands and my maneuvering to receive the MC30 on round 2. That didn't happen, mostly because the rest of his fleet was too far away to give much support. The MC30 dropped in on round 3 instead, costing me a lot of "wasted" FC and Squadron commands, which in turn made my Awing much less effective that I had hoped for.

The rest of the game went smoothly, with my AFs swirling around the flank and leaving Home One far behind. Gowtah recovered masterfully, blocking my forward movement with the MC30 and AF, but losing a weakened Jaina's Light in the process. His MC30 was a bit too close to the edge of the board, however, and was destroyed near the end of the game. Same happened to the AF - a Comm Noise crit let me set his next command to Squadron, keeping him at speed 3 and headed straight into oblivion.

I stand corrected :)

Result?

Green Knight vs Gowtah

Well I believe I deployed not too poorly, but then I made the poor call to change plans and go for the A wings, before changing plans again and spliting up to try and nab a frig kill (well, that and not enough nav dials). Home one was originally in a good position to lead the group meeting with the conga line in the top corner :)

Anyway, here's the log .

Edited by Gowtah

Result?

Green Knight vs Gowtah

Well I believe I deployed not too poorly, but then I made the poor call to change plans and go for the A wings, before changing plans again and spliting up to try and nab a frig kill (well, that and not enough nav dials). Home one was originally in a good position to lead the group meeting with the conga line in the top corner :)

Anyway, here's the log .

Yes, I was somewhat bewildered by the rather erratic-moving MC80 :D

If it's any consolation I do this all the time - make a plan, then end up doing something different!

Chill beats Biggs! 520 - 215 for a 305 MOV and a 9-1 split

I was first player, and chose Precision Strike

And with that I get to sit back and relax while the rest of you jerks fight it out to see who will win it all!

(Biggs is mathematically eliminated from advancing to the elimination round)

It was a good game. Biggs chose to be first and took Precision Strike, which was tricky seeing how he had more bomber squadrons than I did!

He put most of the rocks on one side of the map, and set up one MC30 to go around them. His other Shrimp with his guppie were gunning right for me. My guppies were in Echelon formation, with the flag ship leading and the carrier tailing. My MC30 was set up to be flexible. Because of his squadron deployment my MC30 had to take a more safe approach and go after the guppies, trailing them by about 2 turns of movement.

WIth my guppies I was going to cross his "T" or turn suddenly if his guppy went too fast. He turned towards me and exposed an opportunity to bump and still keep him in my sidearcs, which I promptly took. The bumping turned into a slaughterhouse as all damage cards from bumping were turning to crits with Precision strike. It was looking like I wasn't going to be able to keep bumping forever, and had just lost an activation (my carrier guppy). Fortunately I was able to finish off an MC30 as well and maim his flagship before escaping. My lone MC30, being able to activate last, was able to wait for his now-free guppy. Double-arc with ACM and TRC is no laughing matter, his flagship went down.

His only remaining ship was an MC30 that kept exchanging shots with mine. Being slightly ahead in position (he had to come up from behind rocks), I was always careful to activate last, so I waited for his ship to come into range, then I would activate and move further away, most of the time in his front arc. My Foresight was untouched while his was on 1HP, so in turn 5 it was a quick cleanup.

A pretty bad moment for me was when he used Lando Calrissian. 7 damage on 5 red dice became ZERO. I willl never underestimate Lando again.

You can see the game here

Qark V GodOfCheese. Qark wins 357 to 96 (9-1). GodOfCheese was first player and the objective was Most Wanted.

On another note both GodOfCheese and myself haven't been able to contact Leowulf.

Edited by Qark
POD 1   	Points	MOV	Games
Darth - R	0	0	3
Ardaedhel	16	227	2
JRockNZ 	15	83	3
HeyChad 	13	61	2

POD2			
Shadoer - R	0	0	3
Truthiness - Y	17	315	3
clontroper5 - X	29	1013	3
Captain ICT	10	61	3

POD3			
Caribbean Ninja	6	19	2
AlexW    	5	0	2
Deadshane	1	0	1
JJs Juggern-X   28	1005	3

POD4			
Audere1882	0	0	1
Icanspelgood	0	0	0
Madaghmire	10	400	1
Quadro28	0	0	0

POD5	Points	MOV	Games
Cutter9999	9	245	1
DabDarklighter	3	0	2
Thanosazlin	8	192	1
Zanos   	0	0	0

POD6			
Onca    	5	0	3
Gowtah  	10	179	2
Green Knight-X	26	534	3
NebulonB	9	310	2

POD7			
Meidomeda	3	0	2
Chilligan	9	305	1
BiggsIRL	10	162	3
Doobleg-Y 	18	503	2

POD8			
Qark    	10	261	2
godofcheese	1	0	1
Reath28 	19	704	2
Leowulf 	0	0	1

X = Clinched 1st Place

Y = Clinched 2nd Place (at least)

R = Withdrawn for Tournament

A pretty bad moment for me was when he used Lando Calrissian. 7 damage on 5 red dice became ZERO. I willl never underestimate Lando again.

Drat! Lando is out of the bag and being used! I was enjoying that being my not-so-secret secret ;) :P

Lando is amazing on MC30's. It's such a high-risk/high-reward ship that, with all the dice modification flying around in this wave, shifting the probabilities back in your favor for that One Big Shot is huge .

Biggs, are you going to be asking the standby players to replace withdrawn players?