Am I misunderstanding something?

By Ryval, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

So my boys and I went to see The Force Awakens. They loved it and wanted to play some kind of Star Wars RPG - we've played a little D20 system. I go to my local RPG / Gaming store and he says that F+D is set around the same time as TFA, however, after we open it for Christmas I see everyone has force powers and two (plus one more downloadable guy) START with Lightsabers?

I was hoping for something that felt more like A New Hope and The Force Awakens, where characters start out as something else but get to discover their force powers over a long time, with a lightsaber like a huge reward that you keep for your whole character's life...

In the Intro adventure we have light sabers, everyone already knows they can use the force, the first thing in the adventure has them interacting with a holocron and a simple meditation at the end gets them more force powers.

Did I get the wrong beginners set?

The Beginner's Game is intended to teach the game rules, so it starts some of the pregens with sabers.

Don't know why the guy said it takes place around the same time as TFA. It doesn't.

Blackbird888 is correct. I imagine, they start with lightsabers so new players feel like real Jedi

TFA Spoilers:

or at least budding Force users like Rey

In the Corebook, player characters do not start with Lightsabers. But are encouraged to earn/build/find their lightsabers within the first 5 sessions or so.

All characters in Force and Destiny are Force Sensitive.

FFG chose to split the Star Wars RPG into 3 distinct experiences for 2 main reasons

1. Groups can focus on the part of Star Wars they care about most

2. FFG can really dive deep into each experience and give it the attention it deserves.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with FFG's Star Wars RPG line.

Edge of the Empire is your Scum and Villainy line. They deal with folks living on the edge of the Empire's influence. Smugglers, Bounty Hunters, colonists, slicers, ect..

Age of Rebellion dives deep into the rebellion versus the empire. If you want to play in the TFA universe, this could be the First Order vs the Resistance. The names and faces change, but the game itself doesn't.

Finally, Force and Destiny is all about the Force and those wishing to learn more about it. It's all Jedi/Sith/Force user - all the time.

It's worth noting that the other two lines (EotE & AoR) have minor force using options, so they may be more what you are looking for. Also, all three games can be played together.

Also if you plan on getting the Core Rule Book and playing the small campaign in the back of that it doesn't have pre-mades as the book gives you all the resources to make your own(bar sheets) so even if you choose one of the specs from that book your characters are only as strong in the force as the person creating them wants them to be. From personal experience playing with my friends its at most FR1 and 1-3 Force Powers usually 1 as my guys felt they wanted to be good in one thing instead of average at a few things one of them didn't even take a Force Power as he wanted to be a character that knew little to nothing about the force.

Creating a new character from scratch with the core rules will probably get you the experience you need (don't start with lightsabers, and maybe only 1 Force ability). I might also recommend Age of Rebellion, and simply adapt it for TFA-era. Keep all the stats and rules, just call things what you want them to be.

Each book has some force powers, with Edge of the Empire probably giving the most Luke-from-ANH style Force User.

Edited by Rookhelm