Character Concept

By The Boy Named Crow, in Rogue Trader

My group is gearing up for our first RT campaign, and I'm going to be a PC in lieu of my typical GM position. At first, I found myself somewhat at a loss as to what my PC was going to be, since none of the classes represented a archetype I could fully get behind. Then my character hit me like a bolt of lightning, and I knew exactly who I wanted to be...

Alessunder Cyprese, Imperial Saint

I'm going to play a missionary-class character who believes himself to be a Saint, and has the pure faith talent to back it up, but nobody's sure if they should believe him or think he's crazy. I came up with the following origin path:

Imperial-Vaunted-Chosen-Voyage-Renown-Missionary

I would put a lot of emphasis on his pure faith talents, obviously, and play him not as a member of the ecclesiarchy, but rather a privileged elitist who then realized he had been chosen by the God Emperor, and set out to find his true calling.

I guess what I'm looking for is additional thoughts on how to add flavor to this character. In particular, how he came to realize he was(or think he is?) a saint, but any and all feedback is welcome.

Oh well me thinks your charcter is lucky to get out of Imperial space, because he would be burned by the stake as heretic. :)

But otherwise, the concept seems nice. And i ceratinely hope you got some nice insanity points to begin with 10 at least. Realization of being chosen by the God Emperor shatters one mind for sure.

Also it lets the GM play around with some nice concepts, is your character a saint or just some nutter who if faithful to the creed yes, but ultimately misguided. Having some nice Devil in the garden type scenes and so on.

The Boy Named Crow said:

I would put a lot of emphasis on his pure faith talents, obviously, and play him not as a member of the ecclesiarchy, but rather a privileged elitist who then realized he had been chosen by the God Emperor, and set out to find his true calling.

If he's supposed to be a PRIVILIGED elitist, wouldn't Noble Born fit better than Imperial World as his home world?

As for the overall idea, I think it works. Anyone can become a saint in the Imperium, it's just a matter of doing some epic heroic deeds (like pushing for, starting and winning a war against the many enemies of mankind) and become recognized by members of the ecclesiarchy doing it. One's background is pretty much irrelevant if you can pull that off (I remember one saint in Gaunt's Ghosts who was just a cattle herding girl on some backwater planet who was suddenly struck by inspiration to lead the masses in a holy war, and that got her canonised as a saint later on).

UncleArkie said:

Also it lets the GM play around with some nice concepts, is your character a saint or just some nutter who if faithful to the creed yes, but ultimately misguided. Having some nice Devil in the garden type scenes and so on.

Oh Yeah! the GM could do all these crazy (?) asides... visions and voices, dreams and premonitions... Think Baltus from BSG... Good stuff! I like the name, too.

Varnias Tybalt said:

If he's supposed to be a PRIVILIGED elitist, wouldn't Noble Born fit better than Imperial World as his home world?

the vaunted birthright is being born in a possition of privilige, not necessarily nobel born (though only nobels and imperial worlders can be vaunted).

monkyman said:

Varnias Tybalt said:

the vaunted birthright is being born in a possition of privilige, not necessarily nobel born (though only nobels and imperial worlders can be vaunted).

Because no one outside of the Noble Born lives a life of luxury and excess in the spires of a Hive World or upon the upper decks of a vessel among the Void Born.

Oh wait, some do...

Score another point for scrapping the 'one step' rigidness of the Origin Paths.