Aido uses an emulator to be the saddest player ever.

By Crazy Aido, in WFRP Gamemasters

Ok, so as you are all no doubt aware, I've been desperately harrasing people to paly some WFRP with me over the web.Thanks to the wonders of time zones, that has been less than successful.

So I was also thinking of having a few solo games using the mythic emulator, it's essentially a random generator for plots and adventures and so forth.

Now the only issue with this is that it's really, REALLY sad-ass for me to be essentially sitting at home playing with myself. (Yep, that was meant to sound like that.) So I figured I'd either record it, either in writing or some such format and then post it here. That makes it a little more legitimate.

Anyone interested in reading such silliness?

I have used Mythic when trying out a solo self-tutorial on Burning Wheel mechanics, it's a fun system and you can combine it with other things used for creating scenarios/NPCs etc. ( I found taking a break every little chapter or so important.

The UNE character generator is a great tool for solo or other use creating interesting NPC's for any game.

The new Warhammer Quest game can also be played solo. It uses an approach to "dungeon exploring" that I like as it sort of takes my own in the RPG (no maps, just locations with series of advances to make using different checks, various obstacles sometimes random) and advances it considerably and could be used in RPG as well.

I don't really go for all that much dungeon exploring when I run WFRP. It's more of a "find the mysterious cult" sort of show that's more of interest for me. I did get WHQ:TACG and am still enjoying it mightily... Despite losing three games out of four so far. But I kind of want to play WFRP in the old school style and see about maybe building a bit of interest from others.

So far the additional mechanics I am looking at are:

A tracker dependent for the number of chaos stars rolled during non-combat encounters. When it reaches a certain amount, a group of NPC's show up looking for the relevant PC. (I'll be using two "PC's" for this.)

Chaos stars will probably cause Party Tension to increase as well.

I hope I'll be able to use maps and other fun stuff from Edge of night to fill Ubersreik out with interesting characters as this progresses. Who knows, if other people show their interest, I may be able to include them too.

I'm interested to see what you do with it.

On the "dungeon", I use that for finding way through forest, jungle other things as well.

I'll usually just make an extended search encounter and if the guys mess it up too much, then they get attacked by some monsters. Because I'm a lazy bugger like that.

I'd probably read it for inspiration. :)

I am a very inspiring individual.

I'll post it up on my old wordpress page for ***** and giggles when I get the chance.

I should also mention I use some other house rules, but I'll put that in when I start writing it up. Hopefully it won't be too dreary. :D

Ok, so it's time to start talking about what I'll be doing to make this work.

1. First of all, I want to make two characters. Because that will allow me a little more interplay between... Oh right, it's just me here. But I like the idea of two characters anyway, so here they come. I already have one. My beloved High Elf Swordmaster, Annierra. I'll also make something for her ever-reliable human assistant Anya. (Suggestions welcome by the way, I was thinking of making an Amethyst Wizard but it seems a bit sudden to just drop it in there. Maybe an investigator?)

2. Second, I want this to be a fairly investigation focused game. Now this poses a problem for me as I am obviously playing it on my own.(With options for people to join in if it starts to work out.) However, created a few nemesis sheets that I think are really going to help create a kind of investigation style adventure. I'll give you an example below.

It appears that Anya's family are far from completely vanquished. Slowly their influence is being felt across Ubersreik, but will Anya and Annierra be quick enough to stop them?

Move the tracking token one space forward each time a Chaos Star is rolled, or when the group fails to make meaningful headway while investigating the machinations of Anya's family.

At Space 2:
Move Party tension two spaces.
At Space 5:
Draw an random insanity and apply it to the party until the end of the scene.
At Space 8:
The Von Reuters strike! Draw a random insanity and use the traits described to build either a brief encounter, as the family use their resources to attempt to foil the investigation.

The Investigation
The party will have to use all their wits to uncover the Von Reuter plot! Each time they complete a scene in their own favour or uncover a meaningful clue, move the progress tracker along by one space.
At Space 2:
Select a random career,(only if there is not already an NPC of value with this info this will be the next contact with information that can assist in the investigation.
At Space 4:
Draw a random card from the location deck. The party uncover that there is a significant clue at this location and they will need to investigate before the Von Reuters relocate it.
At Space 6:
The Party has enough information that they can find either one of the Von Reuters, or one of their significant lieutenants.

Here's the script of the Wordpress page I will post in the near future, comments, as always, welcome.

"...And no mates" is how this should actually read. My continued lack of ability to organise people in three wildy different time zones and coordinate has finally driven me into the darkest depths of role-playing games: The Single Player game.

There are no excuses here. There is nothing that could make this any more sad than it already is. I am literally playing with my imaginary friends. I should point that the reason I felt driven to this was the distinct lack of available people to play WFRP3 with. However, given that I should be more open to experiences with other systems and I live in the middle of Dublin, that excuse doesn't really carry a whole hell of a lot of weight.

So I'm glad to say that I managed to find a decent number of people to play games with, WFRP and otherwise, before starting this, because I was thinking of doing it about a week ago and the prospect of sitting on my own in a dark room doing this with nobody else to talk to was BEYOND depressing.

So I was in a much happier place today and was reconsidering the amusing little experiment I had mentioned trying some weeks before. That is using the handy mythic GM emulator and playing a game sans GM. I had said that I would write a little on the experience and leave it for general consideration, as I felt that would make the experience seem a little more legitimate as well as possibly inspiring some other daft nerd to join my in my folly.

If your not familiar with the mythic GM emulator, then it works pretty much like this. Make a dungeon in your head. Ask yourself a yes/no question when you think it's relevant, where details are relevant go with the first thing to come to your head. Where you need something random, there's a table you can use. There's a link at the bottom of the page to a flash version online. It is gloriously simple to use. Anyway, the results of my little exercise have been included for your consideration and I appreciate any of your comments or feedback on this little excercise.

So one of the reasons I wanted to run this was that I had been having so much fun with our previous game of WFRP3 and the characters involved, this was in large part thanks to the group I had been playing with as well as how much fun I had been having with the character I made. I wanted to keep going with the story we had all been building together and maybe finish it and give myself some bizarre sense of closure. So I made this adventure about Annierra Ierionessa's continuing struggle to found a mercenary company and her human assistant, Anya Von Reuter, who's family were a pile of necromancers and may be trying to bring an undead assault on Ubersreik.

I figured the adventure had to start somewhere, so why not have the pair(Anya had been an NPC so I switched to using two PC's for this) scoping out the graveyard for some shady activity that had been reported. So, I know they are watching the graveyard, I know there is a chance they may encounter something. Time to roll the dice and see what that is... I'm looking for a suitable hint of what opponent I will face rather than hard stats, so I roll on the table for a hint of what appears, I'll build something based on that. I get "Helpful Entertainment". Huh, that's interesting. So what could that be? Let's say rather than a necromancer or a ghoul swarm or even a few zombies, Annierra and Anya(Yes, the names could have stood to be a little different, but here we are.) see some incompetent peasant come clambering through a hole in the wall into the Garden. (I took a peasant and gave him Doombolt. Go figure.) This guy probably only just learned the secret handshake and fetches the drinks at "cults-r'-us", so he shouldn't be too much of a problem... Except the same peasant managed to miraculously pass his observation roll to see the two waiting in the nearby mousaloum, and Annierra and Anya have to go tearing after him through the Ubersreik streets. I built a pursuit tracker, and it was actually looking pretty touch and go for a good while. The guy trips at the last hurdle and Annierra just manages to catch him. (Anya is trying to roll athletics at strength 2 in full reckless, a good way to knock herself unconscious. Mind you, this is only after she blinds herself from a misfire on her own pistol.) Having already tried to intimidate him into stopping, Annierra whips out her fearsome greatsword, Bondbreaker... and completely whiffs her attack. And then she whiffs her attack again, while the would be necromancer tries to leg it. Finally Anya gets close enough to let off a shot, (which I am sure will miss.) and manages to put him out of the fight. Now the two intrepid adventurers are faced with a bleeding man in the street and a gunshot that is sure to have attracted a watchman or three. So Annierra hauls to unconscious cultist to the temple of Morr, where they manage to revive him. Now, I build a small tracker for a social encounter. The pair have three rounds to influence the cultist enough for him to give them the information they need. I figure this should a fairly involved roll. With lots of to-and-fro... But Anya puts everything into a charm roll and gets a whopping six successes (seven with the assistance from Annierra) and a Sigmar's comet, so I rule the guy spills his guts.

At this point I call an end to the scene and grant the two a rally phase. They can rest up a little (but not sleep, they'll need to watch their charge) before bringing the man to Lord Von Holzenhaur, Annierra's patron, in the morning.