Just got my FaDBG and I have a few questions.

By BeyondFandom, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

Long time gamer, but new to FFG's Star Wars. I was initially wary of this because of the "special dice" but I dig them now and can see how awesome they work.

My girlfriend wants to play this with just us (me as the GM, her as the player) and I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for tweaking the included adventure for a sole PC? Or should I GMPC one of the other pregens?

Are there any other adventures that would work well for a single PC?

I like the tokens that were included, are the ones in the other (EotE & AoR) boxes different? I'm highly considering getting the other Beginner Games for the maps, dice and tokens particularly.

The damages seem high or the wounds low, is the game meant to be a fairly deadly game?

GMPC is probably your best bet. Were it one of the other two Beginner Boxes (Age of Rebellion or Edge of the Empire), I would suggest making a droid. Every Luke needs an R2D2.

If your girlfriend plays a combat-focused character, trying playing something with a little more utility. And vice-versa if she choses something less combat-centric.

Every pre-written adventure for this line assumes a larger party. Until you both get more exprience, replace all NPC that use rifles with pistols. Rifles are nasty against a party of one.

The Big Bad in this box is touted as being a bit of a pushover. But with that being said, reducing his wound threshold by a few points may be the way to go.

The game is far from deadly. When your wounds exceed your threshold (remember you count up instead of subtracting damage from your "hp"), you are knocked unconscious and suffer a critical injury.

I believe in the beginner box, you only die when you suffer 4 critical injuries (the core rules are a bit different in this matter). So if your single player falls unconscious, think of what the bad guys would do. Malefax may think the PCs know how to access the holocron vault, so he would likely tie them up and prepare them for interrogation. If this happens you could plan a "prison escape" scene.

Edited by kaosoe

She has chosen Sarenda the human guardian for her character. I'm thinking of picking Dao Jodh then to pair with her.

Will they be sufficient to handle the Mountaintop Rescue adventure?

She has chosen Sarenda the human guardian for her character. I'm thinking of picking Dao Jodh then to pair with her.

Will they be sufficient to handle the Mountaintop Rescue adventure?

2 people could probably complete the beginner box. Though it might be rough.

If they don't already, consider adding a few stimpacks to their inventories. And maybe throw in a "Force Spring" or something lthat the PCs could come back to rejuvenate themselves and heal up if they get beaten too badly. The gatekeeper could help show them where it is if the PCs can convince him that they are on his side.

Edited by kaosoe

Hi Fan! I have all 3 Beginner Game boxes and the tokens, maps, character sheets and adventures are different in each. And 3 sets of dice can come in handy. If you can afford it, I highly recommend it.

I would make sure that there is at least 1 light side destiny point in the starting pool.

I ran this for my sister a few weeks ago. She picked the same character. Other than encouraging her to not fight the mercs on the bridge (the book doesn't scale that encounter), she was able to do quite well solo. Malefax was killed easily because of the lightsaber. She hit him for about 11 on the first hit. He used move to toss her back so he could use a stim pack and then she finished him off. She ran past the ice wolf things into the temple and shut the door. I removed the merc from the last encounter because I was afraid it would be too hard. My mistake.

I got this for X-mas and ran it with my wife. I just used one of the other character folios and ran that guy as a kind of NPC. It worked well, but I agree with Malefax being a pushover. We batted him back and forth like a ping pong ball until he died.

Hi Fan! I have all 3 Beginner Game boxes and the tokens, maps, character sheets and adventures are different in each. And 3 sets of dice can come in handy. If you can afford it, I highly recommend it.

How would you compare the three box sets? If you where only getting one, which one would it be?

The beginner boxes are definitely recommended. If for no reason than the extra dice and tokens (since the dice pack is like $15 anyway). You also get maps and a free adventure that can be adapted or expanded on later (in the EOTE beginner quest, I added some additional things to make the scenario flow better, and seeded a couple things for the follow up adventure that you can download for free from FFG).

What I like about the EOTE beginner box is one of the maps is a floor plan of the Millen- er, a Correlian YT freighter. Perfect for ship scenarios.

Hi Tank - Sorry for the delay in my reply. Haven't been on the forums in awhile. The Beginner Games really are very similar. It just depends on what type of character your players want to play or what campaign you want to run. If your characters want to play Han Solo, Boba Fett or Chewie types, then get Edge of the Empire. If they want to play Princess Leia, Wedge Antilles, or Luke during New Hope/Empire, then Age of Rebellion is the way to go (it's more focused on the Rebel Alliance's battles against the Empire). Of course, if they want to play Jedi in exile, or Force Sensitives who want to deepen their knowledge of the Force and wield lightsabers, then pick up Force and Destiny.

All three are equally good...it just boils down to what type of beginner campaign you and your players want to play.

Edited by Corellian Spacer