Newbie Targaryen questions

By player354611, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

Hi everyone!

I've just played my four first games of this wonderful cardgame and really enjoyed it.

I just own the Starter set so far but would like to expand my cardpool asap. We are just playing casual so I can buy cards from both the CCG and LCG version.

The Targaryen deck was fun to play so I will focus on this house to begin with. So my question is which Chapter Packs and CCG sets/cards shall I go for first (with the following points in mind)?

* My Targaryen deck needs a little better rotation - there were always 10-20 cards left in the draw deck when the game was finished.

* A few good attachments, perhaps a weapon or two.

* 1-2 must have characters.

* A competitive combo, perhaps with the Dragon keyword.

Also, are there any Targaryen cards who forms the "backbone" of a good deck that should be used regardless of strategy?

/Fierce

heres a link to some more links about targ deck construction ideas/discussion

i'll answer your specific questions real quick:

1) i'm not really sure what your asking. you're usually going to have cards left in your deck at the end of a game. do you want to be able to draw more or are you going thorugh your cards too fast?

2) best attachment that is a weapon is in the core set Aegon's Blade. see also answer to 4

3) Dragon Thief and maester aemon [chapter pack version]. Shadows Barristian selmy is neat, but not must have.

4) dragon keyword combo = dragon bite (kills any character that is participating in a challenge with a dragon). most of the combos are in the core set w/ lady daeney's chamber, flame kissed, and forever burning. Street Waif, while not a combo is a really good mechanic with Targ.

If you are looking for older cards, you can probably find some people selling older cards that are not playable at "standard-legal" competitions. These will likely be very cheap to buy in bulk because they are not in high demand. (I wouldn't try to buy old singles, as this will still be rather expensive.) I would check ebay and the Trade forum threads for old cards to by in bulk. These will be compatible with your new cards, and the old cards are very fun to play with. In fact, if you like Targ, the Ice & Fire and A Flight of Dragons sets would probably be a good place to start. The "Five King's Edition" set is also good and has some good versions of the various dragons (as well as some burn) if you like that aspect of Targ. Irone Throne Edition has has some good stuff. If you would like to check out some of the older cards or look through a full list of all cards printed, search by card type, etc., visit tzumainn.com/agot.

If you prefer to stick with all white-border cards (the older cards are black border, and cards 2+ years old have a slightly different design, though the mechanics are still exactly the same), I recommend the newest chapter pack cycle: King's Landing. I think this is the most fun 6-chapter cycle since FFG transitioned to the chapter-pack format, and Targ got some good cards in the August and September chapter packs (King's Landing #4 and #5).

Welcome Fierce! I'm fairly new myself and can tell you, it only gets better. happy.gif I find it hard to satisfy my appetite for this game with the small group of friends I have playing and maybe once a week we get to play (no local meta besides what I'm trying to create unfortunately).

For whatever reason I found myself interested in Targaryen as well when I first started playing and what I'm currently trying to perfect.

Lars said:

3) Dragon Thief and maester aemon [chapter pack version]. Shadows Barristian selmy is neat, but not must have.

Lars - Maybe I'm missing it, but why is master aemon (chapter pack version) and Shadows Barristian Selmy good for Targaryen decks?

Twn2dn - I have actually had very little luck getting a hold of older cards the last 2 months since I got into the game unless I want to buy booster boxes or individual rares. The trade forums here, ebay, craigslist, etc. all have very little if nothing. Maybe it's just bad timing. Perhaps there are some other sources I'm not thinking of to try?

I can try to answer...

Ser Barristan is NOT a must have, as he pointed out, but it has renown and a nice ability.

Maester Aemon is a free-Military claim. ;-)

Thanks a ton for all the helpful input! It seems to me that a second Core set is a really good investment as well as some CPs.

Lars said:

1) i'm not really sure what your asking. you're usually going to have cards left in your deck at the end of a game. do you want to be able to draw more or are you going thorugh your cards too fast?

I would like to draw a few more cards during the game. To get a better flow in my deck and increase the chances to pull of a nice combo.

I think this is the best card game I've played so far - and we have just started with a limited card pool. Surely it will only get better!

Another question, when I look at the contents of the CP:s on the excellent tzumainn-site, how do I know which cards come in singles or group of threes?

The Dragon Thief seems mandatory in a Targ deck so I need to know if I need one or three Ancient Enemies CPs.

Use this page to check quantities. http://info.wsisiz.edu.pl/~szczesnj/

It's an easy to use search list with spoilers and quantities. It'll help.

Anyway, you'll find 3x Dragon Thief in AE CP, so don't be afraid. You'll have that badass! ;-)

DB_Cooper said:

I can try to answer...

Ser Barristan is NOT a must have, as he pointed out, but it has renown and a nice ability.

Maester Aemon is a free-Military claim. ;-)

excatly. Aemon is also great to survive valor. Since he has the night's watch trait he can save himself.

note that he has been errated to actually be able to save as an 'any phase' cannot be an interrupt so it is supposed to be a "response"

Fierce, if you are looking fro more draw look into the summer Agenda/black raven combo (weak against winter decks). You could also put in Samwell Tarley and 3x balck ravens and 3x carrion birds (less efficient). Or Tommon Baratheon (a lannister character) Out of House for 3 gold. If you do add black ravens to your deck you can also add Gilly.

As for card draw for Targaryen...yeah Samwell Tarly with the black raven/carrion bird is the way to go. For secondary card draw there is always Xaro's Home/Lady Danaery's Chambers/Any attachment combo. As long as you have influence you will be able to draw a card every time you play an attachment. I would recommend buying a second core set. The extra locations will really help out your deck for the future. Not to mention 2 flame kissed, and forever burnings are better than 1. Also pick up the Refugees of War chapter pack - just one is all you need. Three copies of Refugee of the plains is in there and it being a 0 Cost, 2 STR, M / P icon character is awesome and will really help out your setup phase. Another card for must haves is To Be a Dragon. It comes from the Sacred Bonds chapter pack and you will need to buy 2 or 3 of those depending on how you want to do it. Of course to play it you need the Power Struggle plot called Fury of the Dragon which you will get when you buy the one with Dragon Thief. Hope this info helps.

P.S. - Get one of the Time of Trials chapter pack for the Street Waif. The combo is to use Street Waif in conjunction with 2 To be a Dragons to completely "reanimate" your dead pile every turn.