Looking for some rule clarification.

By Esperologist, in Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

References to rulings by officials would be appreciated. My groups' game master prefers official rulings.

Okay, in FAQ v2.2 in Action Cards:

"Q: Can an action card be played between taking two hits to your fleet or ground forces?

A: Yes."

So, any number of hits can be taken, then play the an Action Card and take more?

IE: 2 Dreadnaughts vs 5 Battleships.

Lucky player, all 5 Battleships hit. Could the 2 Dreadnaughts take one hit each, use the repair Action Card, take another hit each, use another repair card and one take an additional hit? Thus, only one of the Dreadnaughts is damaged at the end of the combat round?

This next question I submitted about a week ago through this page: www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_faq.asp

Anyone know how long they generally take to get to the questions submitted there?

The question provoked a vivid discussion among our group, and it is as follows:

The Yssaril Special Ability as follows: "You are never limited to a hand-size of Action Cards regardless of the game ruls and any active political cards."

Does using the "Cultural Crises" Action Card force the Yssaril to obey the hand-size rules/political cards since they have lost the ability?

Or do they still keep all their Action Cards because the "never limited" still applies, even when the ability is gone?

If I get a response for that question via email from the officials, I'll post the response here. I tried finding an answer to it, but couldn't... so if someone knows where to find the answer (rule book, FAQ, errata, forum post), I'd appreciate it very much.

If you had enough emergency repairs there is no reason you could not do the above.

And yes. If the Yssaril loose their racial ability to have more than 7 action cards they must discard down to seven.

Esperologist said:

Anyone know how long they generally take to get to the questions submitted there?

It depends on when Corey is able to get to it. Sometimes the turnaround can be a couple days, sometimes a couple weeks.

Beyond that, I concur with the answers above.

Esperologist said:

References to rulings by officials would be appreciated. My groups' game master prefers official rulings.

"Q: Can an action card be played between taking two hits to your fleet or ground forces?

So, any number of hits can be taken, then play the an Action Card and take more?

Yes. An AC can be played between any two hits in a given round of combat, regardless of how many hits have come/are coming.

Esperologist said:

The Yssaril Special Ability as follows: "You are never limited to a hand-size of Action Cards regardless of the game ruls and any active political cards."

Does using the "Cultural Crises" Action Card force the Yssaril to obey the hand-size rules/political cards since they have lost the ability?

Or do they still keep all their Action Cards because the "never limited" still applies, even when the ability is gone?

A general board gaming rule of thumb is that specific rules trump general ones when they conflict. The Yssaril ability says that it overrides "game rules" (which I interpret to be the rulebook and any optional/house rules that players might use.) The Political Cards bit is (I think obviously) referring to any laws or vote effects that might limit hand size or force discards. The Yssaril are immune to those. As a one-shot Action Card, I'd say Cultural Crisis is more specific than the Yssaril racial ability and thus it wins, and the Yssaril must discard if applicable.

Thank you all.

I'll let my games group know. Hopefully they don't find anything else to have a heavy discussion about. ^_^

Steve-O said:

Esperologist said:

Yes. An AC can be played between any two hits in a given round of combat, regardless of how many hits have come/are coming.

Esperologist said:

A general board gaming rule of thumb is that specific rules trump general ones when they conflict. The Yssaril ability says that it overrides "game rules" (which I interpret to be the rulebook and any optional/house rules that players might use.) The Political Cards bit is (I think obviously) referring to any laws or vote effects that might limit hand size or force discards. The Yssaril are immune to those. As a one-shot Action Card, I'd say Cultural Crisis is more specific than the Yssaril racial ability and thus it wins, and the Yssaril must discard if applicable.

According to the errata the Yssaril are NOT immune to being forced to discard. They are only immune to effects that would limit their hand size.

It's simple. Cultural Crisis is not a game rule and it's not a Political Card. It's an Action Card.