FAQ question from a n00b

By Winter324, in Runebound

My wife and I got the game (core set only) last weekend and after a hugely long session that spanned three days (we kept getting interuppted gui%C3%B1o.gif ) I downloaded the FAQ.

Something doesn't make sense to me. There are a couple of things that reference two different color challenges existing on the same hex. How is that even possible? Or is it tied to one of the expansions?

--along the lines of a previous thread. Yes, I did buy this in 'preparation' for RuneWars. glad I did.

I've never come across a situation where two different coloured challenges existed on the same hex before. As far as I know it shouldn't be possible since a challenge is encountered on a hex of its colour gem and then resolved one way or another before gameplay continues. Perhaps the Midnight expansion had rules to allow wandering monsters to move (that's the only expansion I don't have.) Or perhaps there's a card I'm forgetting about. I haven't exactly sat down and read them all, and there are a lot. But the situation is rare if it ever does occur, as I said I've never seen it.

Thanks Steve-O

I've put the text from the FAQ here for all you to scope. Any other thoughts? The other weird part is that some of the expansion realted things are addressed later on an expansion by expansion basis in the document and this is on the first page. The assumption being that it is related enough to the core gameplay experience that it should be added there.

Pasted from the FAQ:

If an undefeated challenge counter is on the same space as an adventure counter, and the undefeated Challenge is a different color than the adventure counter, you must attempt the undefeated challenge counter first.

If adventure counters of more than one color are on a space, you choose which adventure counter to attempt.

Maybe that got the editions mixed up.

In edition one of runebound there was green encounters on town spaces. I rember reading a card that had the ability that if it went on the undefeated track it follows the character to any town space he enters. This card was in a mini expansion and it was a blue card, so maybe if the town still had a green encounter on it and if the hero went to town after beating this card the hero would have to beat this card first then the green encounter.

Very interesting. Thanks facepalm

I noticed that too but never really connected the dots to say sorpresa.gif .I thought their must be some expansion card that made that possible?

OD

Winter324 said:

Pasted from the FAQ:

If an undefeated challenge counter is on the same space as an adventure counter, and the undefeated Challenge is a different color than the adventure counter, you must attempt the undefeated challenge counter first.

If adventure counters of more than one color are on a space, you choose which adventure counter to attempt.

That wording definitely implies that it is possible for undefeated challenges to move from the hex they were first encountered. There are no core rules to allow this, but maybe there's an Event or something that makes them move. Like I said in my last post, there are a lot of cards flying around and I don't have the time to read through them all so it's certainly possible there's a card out there I haven't seen yet which lets this happen. Maybe there's some subtlety of the rules that says if you're able to challenge an undefeated counter from a space other than the one its in and you fail then the counter moves to where you are. Again, I'm not familiar with this ability existing, but it's possible in theory.

Also, knowing FFG as I do, it's entirely possible that the FAQ at first was consolidated and they later decided to break up the rulings by expansion. In that case an early ruling from an expansion might have been included in the main body of the FAQ before they decided to break things down.

There are 2 cards that allow you to fight a challenge of a different color during the adventure phase but no counter of the other color is placed in the space.

In the Sands of Al-Kalim expansion you can come across the Court Wizard, an Ally.
His text says:

Adventure Step: When your Hero resolves an adventure jewel, this Ally may take 2 fatigues to allow you to draw a card from the next higher or lower adventure deck. If you defeat it, you gain experience for the color of the Challenge you defeated.

Also, in the Wildlander character deck the talent card Sense Danger says:

If you attempt a yellow or blue adventure counter, you may instead draw from the green adventure deck. If you defeat the Challenge, you receive 1 experience point but you must leave the existing adventure counter on your space.

However there is one location card in the Spiritbound character deck named Foreboding Wilderness that says:

If you are on a mountain space, place an available blue adventure counter on your space.
If you are on a hill space, place an available yellow adventure counter on your space.

It doesn't says that it must be a space without an adventure counter on it, so this way it is possible. Given that there are other than blue jeweled mountain spaces and yellow jeweled hill spaces. (don't have a gameboard at hand to check.)