Questions for the next FAQ - Please, post here

By Julia, in Runebound

Hi folks,

I started collecting questions for a possible RuneBound FAQ project. So, if you have any issues requiring an official clarification, you believe some points in the wording of cards or rules are obscure, or are uncertain on anything else, please post your questions here. Please remember a valid FAQ entry could also be something that, despite being clear in the rules, is often overlooked so that players keep coming here and ask the same question over and over again.

Also, if you received official clarifications via email, please post questions and answer here as well, so that everything can be included in the very same document.

Thanks a lot for your help!

JULIA

One thing that literally a player asked me once: Can you use Waterwalking and Tireless that lets you move a hex in the middle of a move action? E.g. roll the terrain dice for move action, move one hex, use Waterwalking to cross a river and then spend the rest of the dice to move further?

I didn't find a specific note on that in the rules so I just ruled that cards like that cannot interrupt an action.

Second question that popped up once: Can you use Laurel's Pathfinding ability to reroll terrain dice for story events? The only story event I can think of is Young Dragons. If you haven't used Pathfinding yet that round, can you reroll that terrain die to try and escape from the dragons?

I'm guessing you can't as the cards say "once per turn" and not "once per round" and even if you are the last player, I guess your turn is over when the story event card is drawn and resolved.

If you think that my question from earlier this month should be asked here it is below.

My wife and I have been playing the dodge ability as a combat action on the players or monsters turn.

Thanks

Armor I had gave me dodge and said I can Cancel a attack if I spend a surge.

Does that mean I can spend a surge in the same way I spend a shield on my opponents turn?

Cancel says

A player can only use an ability that cancels or prevents something from occurring immediately before that ability resolves. ̉

So if it can only be used immediately before that attack happens it would have to be on my opponents turn.

It says in surge Abilities that they have to be use as a combat action.

I can only use combat actions on my turn

Any help would be welcome :)

The Rogues Gear says
1 surge dodge: Cancel the next attack made against you this combat round.

Cancel Rule Says:

Something that is canceled or prevented does not resolve. ̉

Cancel and prevent are synonyms. ̉

A player can only use an ability that cancels or prevents something from occurring immediately before that ability resolves. ̉

If a cost is paid and the effect is canceled or prevented, the cost is not refunded; e.g., if a player spent a surge to trigger an ability and the ability is canceled, the surge is still spent.

Surge Abilities

Abilities that are preceded by a surge symbol are surge abilities.

Surge abilities can be used as a combat action by spending the number of surges listed before the surge from the player’s combat pool.

Each surge ability cannot be triggered more than once per combat round. ̉

A player can spend more surges for an ability than required.

Any overspent surges have no effect. ̉

The cost of the surge ability is paid before the effect is resolved.

This means that if a surge ability allows a hero to recast spent tokens, the surge tokens spent to trigger the ability are eligible to be recast. ̉If an X surge ability is triggered by another ability, X is considered to be 1 unless otherwise noted.

Surge symbols

As a combat action, a player can spend surge symbols from his or her combat pool to trigger a surge ability.

Thanks for posting here the question. As said, it's not important if something's covered by the rules; it's important what's confusing for the players. Your question was not easy to answer, so I think it's perfectly fit for this thread :) Thanks

I don't have the game handy and can't recall the name of the skill in question. There is a Body skill that allows a Rest Action in the Wilderness to heal a hero to full, without specifying a number of successes.

I looked at the Rest rules, and told the player not to bother rolling, as the card doesn't ask for any successes before granting its benefit.

The affected hero's player and one other player disagreed, and concluded that you must roll at least single success to be able to benefit, arguing that this was clearly the designer's intent.

I responded that the skill card was pretty straightforward because a Rest Action was being taken in the Wilderness. I quickly conceded to move the game along because of past experience with rules disputes in this group, but was admittedly salty at this additional stipulation being added to a skill with no evidence to support it.

Any thoughts? I'll send the question along to FFG for possible FAQ inclusion as well.

Edited by Goomiferous

During the zombie scenario, if the card is out that doesn't let you shop at Forge if there is a zombie there, can you use Black Market to shop there, since you aren't at Forge?

My instinct is no, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, no. We debated this longly on BGG, but shortly: Black Market allows you to shop as if you were in a city (hence, enables Forge to be an option) and the other card says you can't shop in Forge, so, the option is open, but then another conditional effect removes the option from your possible selections. The question has been added to the FAQ thread on BGG because it's still something creating confusion, hence, good call

Puppet Mastery says "Whenever a round of combat begins, before tokens are cast, you may exert to remove 1 of your foe's tokens."

Can you exert multiple times in order to remove multiple tokens?

I don't follow, sorry. The ability is clearly single-used, at the beginning of each combat round. So, when round 1 begins, you remove 1 token, and you can't exert more to remove more tokens. When round 2 begins, you may exert to remove 1 token, and so on. Please remember that removed tokens are removed for the duration of a single combat round, it's not like at the beginning of round 2 what you eliminated during round 1 is still removed

But in general, you can exert multiple times. That's even the general rule about exertion: "The only limit to the number of times a hero can exert is the number of cards in his or her hand." This is not specific to the uses of exertion in order to draw extra cards for a skill test or rerolling movement dice - it's a separate bullet point.

Had this been something like Magic, it would have been clear because of the rules about triggered abilities. But Runebound doesn't have any general rules about triggered abilities.

Conversion, for example, sidesteps this problem because it's clear from the card that exerting to deal damage and remove a skull token is a combat action. But it's less clear with Puppet Master. Mind you, I think it should only be usable once per instance (otherwise you can get a big leg up on beating Villains by removing all their surge-capable tokens), but I don't think it's clear that it is. There should probably be a rule/clarification along the lines of "Abilities that let you exert to do something can generally only be used once per instance, unless they say otherwise."

So, basically you're saying the card should read "you may exert once to remove 1 of your foe's tokens", right?

Yes, something like that. Or make it a more general rule - I've only played the game once, so I don't know if there are any other cards where it's an issue.

Gotcha, thanks for pointing this out

Hi guys,

First time on one of these so hopefully my question applies. Just played our first game and loved it. We did have two questions.

First, about the character Laurel of Bloodwood. In specific, the ability Speed of Di'zon, which states 'Spend 1 surge to recast 1 of your spent tokens (even the surge just spent). Now combat rules state that each surge ability can be used only once during each round. So lets assume I spend 1 surge to recast a 2Skull I already spent. When I recast, it lands as a surge. But this is a surge I have not used yet, would that mean I am able to cast Speed of Di'zon again with this new surge? (Hopefully that makes sense lol)

Second, In regards to the double a symbol, the wife flipped a surge value on me that I had stacked on a double symbol. But when she flipped it, it was also a double symbol. So ended up with a double symbol on a double symbol. What do we do in that scenario?

If the answers are in the rules I apologize, but we were unable to find anything that could clarify. Regardless, fantastic game and a lot of fun. Look forward to more adventures in Terrinoth.

Never mind on the Speed of Di'zon question. Was interpreting it as only use one surge token each round not one surge ability each round. So all good on that one lol. But still don't know what to do when a double is on a double due to the top token being flipped.

Edited by Chipzahoy

I think it becomes useless, because you can't stack anything on the doubled double.

Yeah, we took it as useless. Was just checking in to see if there was something we missed. Thanks for the response! : )

I don't have the rules with me right now, but I think double on double is covered in the Ref Guide under Double Symbol, if you may wanna check. Otherwise I'll check it tomorrow and let you know :)

Hi Julia,

Thanks for 'Double' checking on that for me ; )

Also, I have read a lot of forums in the last few days since joining and noticed you have many posts. Just want to say thanks for all your help on here. It is very informative and appreciated!

It's a pleasure helping. When I started the hobby, I was like on a raft in the middle of the ocean, and many good people met here helped me sailing in the right direction, so, the minimum I can do, is to help back. If the community is friendly, then we are all enriched :)

As for your "doubling the doubler" question, the answer lies somewhere in this passage of the rules (first bullet point of Double symbol):

"Only one token can be stacked on another; a stacked token cannot have another token stacked on top of it"

so, if by means of some game effect or because someone just wants to, you end up having a doubler on a doubler, then you can't stack another token atop of it. So, the placement is legit, but it won't result in any game effect of particular interest.

Still, it's an interesting situation, I believe: since it's not an impossible combo, a legit move could be discarding the doubled doubler (together with the underneath doubler, of course) to trigger a "no result" combat action without the need to pass. Not so sure how relevant this is, but possibly it has a 0.1% of utility

I thought it was a smart move, to render my double attack useless. However even though they are currently useless, in theory I could still cast the doubled double, with zero effect only so they could now be considered spent tokens. As Laurel of Bloodwood, I could then use a surge to recast one of those spent doubles in hopes to get at least the one attack back. At least that is how we took it. Would you agree?

Edited by Chipzahoy

Absolutely

Absolutely

So, on a smiliar note, can you spend tokens with just a dash on them and do nothing on that turn, in order to avoid passing?

Nope. It's in the rules (Rules Ref, pag. 6, Dash symbols, emphasis mine):

Dash symbols have no inherent ability and cannot be spent as a combat action . Golden dash symbols count towards initiative.