FW Imperial Space Marine Scale?

By Not Bob, in Deathwatch

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99689987043_ImperialSpaceMarine01.jpg

So this is very simple. One day (hopefully soon) I plan to begin a BIG project. One Space Marine off on his adventures against numerous enemies.

Wanting to make this lone Astarte's special, I decided I'd go large scale and saw that the Imperial Space Marine was still available from Forge World. In his description it says:

6 inches/150mm tall

But I really want to make sure the human models bought as part of the campaign are in the correct True Scale.

So

Does anybody own an Imperial Space Marine?

Can you tell me if the 150mm is the full height including base, or is the height of the Marine from the sole of his foot to the top of his helmet?

What size/scale of model should I be looking for to make sure the Marine is True Scale in comparison?

I appreciate any help as I've been looking everywhere for a picture of the Marine next to a ruler/tape measure. Or stood with other models.

Wow!

Ghost Town.

Perhaps Black Crusade forum has more life

[...a tumbleweed slowly rolls across the deserted main street...]

Hey! If you need a picture to establish the scale of a miniature, you'd probably be better off on a dedicated tabletop forum, like Bolter & Chainsword, or DakkaDakka. I don't know how many people play TT actively here.

And yeah, sadly it's not the most active place around.

Edited by musungu

Oddly enough I was imaging tumbleweeds while looking at the forum.

Just for morbid curiosity I checked out the other 40K pages and only Dark Heresy 2nd Edition had any noticeable life.

Hope FFG remedy this.

Preferably not by redoing the brand.

Deathwatch and Rogue Trader are my two favourite of the 40K RPGs. Though I've yet to get DH2ndEd

For me, when I ask something and there's no answer, it's always a toss-up between a tumbleweed crossing the road and cicadas singing :)

I'm also preferring this two. Starting a Rogue Trader game besides my current DW ones is one of my long-term goals ever since I read about a RT adventure where after double-crossing almost all powerful entities in the sector, the actual enemy (IIRC Eldar) happened to say "you won't get away with this" - and the guy turned back towards his Senechal with a poker face, and calmly said: "Mr. Smith. Please, get me away with this." Cue teleporting the hell out and massacring the hapless xenos. This is, for me, the quintessential RT attitude. "I don't worry - I have someone to do that for me."

I actually like DH2E though - I couldn't try it yet, but I picked up the book, and the streamlined system looks promising. If the price of fixing some very frustrating crunch issues in DW is paying for DW2E, be it, I'm on board :) Bar a new edition, I don't really see this place being radically revitalised.

To be fair, expecting an answer within 3 hours might've been a tad too optimistic. Parts of the community here are very active, but they are not many and do not lurk the forums all day long. ;)

As for your question, Games Workshop generally seems to measure from the sole, not the base. There are even some who believe they measure from sole to eye, rather than sole to top, but it's hard to say just how much truth is in there. Either way, the normal TT figures are like so:

Imperial Guardsman: 30mm sole to top

Space Marine: 33mm sole to top

Using GW codex fluff, this would mean a TT "true scale" Space Marine should be about 36mm, an increase of 21.7% rather than the current 10% (assuming the average IG soldier clocks in at 1.75m).

With your 150mm Space Marine, you would instead look for 123mm humans. Of course, the poses of the miniatures can easily skew with the measurements, and it's safe to say that some planets may yield larger or smaller humans than others, etc.

Good luck with your project!

Edited by Lynata

It wasn't expecting a quick answer. It was realizing after I posted, and each time I looked, there was nobody in the forum.

Meanwhile other forums (such as Star Wars ones) were swarming. Even the DH2ndEd had more life.

I felt this post was a long shot as not many people would spend £110 on one unassembled and unpainted model. But since I don't play the tabletop game, with GW prices, I feel I can justify it.

That's what I'm telling myself anyway :)

Ah, that's a good point. The DW and DH forums share a lot of the same posters (I, too, usually check all the 40k forums when I log on here -- it is the same setting, after all, so it's all relevant to me in some way), it's just that there is currently less discussion going on, simply because DW is an older product and a lot of topics have already been discussed.

There are a few topics that keep coming up again and again, but replies to those are really just a matter of time when the aforementioned people log in to see what's new. ;)

And yeah, it's a pricey investment, but I too agree that, every now and then, we should afford such little "rewards for ourselves" when we usually don't spend a lot. I myself am rather thrifty when it comes to day-to-day spending, only to occasionally spend tons of cash on something more special like a new figure, a kickstarter pledge or, recently, a new PC. :)

Edited by Lynata

It sounds to me like you're looking for 1/12 scale models that come in at 5-6" or so. The Bandai Star Wars figure models are this scale, but as far as I can tell, it's an unusual size. You have set yourself a difficult task, Good luck.

It sounds to me like you're looking for 1/12 scale models that come in at 5-6" or so. The Bandai Star Wars figure models are this scale, but as far as I can tell, it's an unusual size. You have set yourself a difficult task, Good luck.

1:18 scale or 120mm

Should make the Space Marine True Scale in comparison. Unless the whole thing is 150mm in which case the human models would be less mm.

I find between 54mm and 75mm have some truly awesome models.

I don't know if you ever got an answer to this but the model is 13cm from head to toe, the reset is base. Here is a picture of one of mine (I have four) with a tape measure. Good luck on your project, I would love to see the result.