Beginner game for not-beginner

By kelpie, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beginner Game

Hi all

when i bought AoR i also bought beginner game (you know, not much more expensive than just the dice, and with a lot of things in the package :) )

However, while we are "AoR noob" we are not strictly "beginner players", more like "more than 20 year of experience in many diferent game systems"... so, the step by step structure of "welcome to onderon" is a bit too tight for us and we should need something more structured...

so... there is someone who played Welcome to Onderon as a standard adventure? someone converted them in a more organised structure, maybe playable with player-generated-characthers in lieu of the 4 folios (and with standard AoR rules in lieu of simplified beginner game rules)?

i know is not really difficult to use the adventure "as written" with few simple adjustments, just i got not really much time to spend on it :\ and wondering if someone already did it...

However, while we are "AoR noob" we are not strictly "beginner players", more like "more than 20 year of experience in many diferent game systems"... so, the step by step structure of "welcome to onderon" is a bit too tight for us and we should need something more structured...

Speaking as someone with 30+ years of experience, I'd say it's a really good idea to stay roughly on the rails for the first game. This game is different, and learning the basics is probably more important than the story, initially. After the first session (and it really does only take a couple hours) you can go as free wheeling as you want. The free PDF followup to the basic adventure is far more open-ended, so there's lots to work with.

mmmhhhh ok...

i was planning on a "demo" with Perlemian Haul (who has something more than just some "pew pew" and also managing duty mechanics) with pre-generated char (the ones from beginner game, upgraded to full game rules, plus a force sensitive user 'cause i know someone will whant to try it)

then if i got enough interest, starting a "mini campaign" with custom player's made characthers from Wellcome to Onderon, then following up with Operation Shadowpoint and maybe the one from Gamemaster's Kit (i did'nt have at the moment, but maybe i'll grab it if we start a mini campaign of some sort)

And then, may the Force be with us...

Edited by kelpie

Ah, in that case...yes, I would shake things up and take it off the rails. In fact I just ran the AoR beginner game for a new player, and we never even got to the base because we ran out of time! What I did was roughly as follows:

1) introduce the basic premise of the mission (governor listening in on his rival).

2) the source of the info was a contact on Onderon, to be found in the city of Iziz, so they had to get there first (this is where I started...they'd already landed and had a room at the inn)

3) find the contact, I just used the pregen Vendri from the game. He got his information from some villagers a couple days outside of Iziz...apparently some Imperials were out in the bush and kept harassing the locals, so the locals decided to contact the Rebels and report them. The locals don't know what is going on.

Vendri had a pass phrase to test if the PCs were really from the Rebels...nobody had warned them about it, but a good Lore roll would reveal that the pass phrase was part of a poem, and if they spoke the next line he'd be more forthcoming. Basically, he gives them the coordinates, but if they get the pass phrase and/or some advantages he'd offer more information about the local dangers (such as the Thaelo in Mask of the Pirate Queen).

4) bush travel to find the locals. They meet a Thaelo, of course, but only one. I had three PCs, they easily dispatched it, but it was more to demo the combat rules. If you've already done that, up the Thaelo count.

5) arrive at the village. The village chief is more worried about Imperial backlash, so he's not that forthcoming. I figured the governor's base couldn't have regular troops, but only troops that either owed the governor, or he had some kind of hold over. So they're fairly undisciplined, and take to harassing the locals for entertainment.

The kids vie for the PC's money in exchange for food and shelter ("My mom's the best cook!" "No, my mom is!"). If the PCs engage the kids, one will offer to lead the PCs within sight of the comm dish, which is more accurate than what they can get from the chief.

6) guided to within sight of the comm dish, the kid leaves. After moving forward a bit the PCs heard the unmistakable sounds of shooting and screaming in the distance. They all imagined Imperials torturing local villagers. Moving closer to investigate, they see a group of half-drunk Imperials having some kind of contest: one will strip down, be given a countdown, take off across the field dodging and weaving, then after a count of "One Onderon, two Onderon, three Onderon,..." the others would open fire with their stun guns. Much laughter and hilarity as they drunkenly see who gets the furthest.

The PCs fluffed their Stealth roll, so they were noticed, so the Charmer PC pulls out all the Leadership he can muster and starts acting like an officer, meanwhile the Soldier PC got a Triumph on his Knowledge Warfare and helps the Charmer dress them down with violation codes, etc.

After a "permission to get dressed, sir!?" the troops are marched towards the base, but a Despair along the way increases suspicions which leads to an all out firefight.

The last scene was epic...the Soldier chasing two fleeing troops through the bush (huge success and advantage on his Athletics, compared to an almost empty result for the troops), catching them at short range, and rolling two Triumphs to nail them both in the back.

The plan after that was they would use the stuff commandeered from the dead troops (security codes, helmets, comms, etc) to gain access to the base, but that's as far as we got.

oh cool! nice.

thank you!

now what i need is found time to play the game with my friends (at the moment, it seems difficult x_x )

Edited by kelpie

I used EotE and F&D beginner games as session 0 for my campaigns, something that binds the party together.

AoR game I used as an encounter to introduce the rebellion theme to my running EotE campaign.

I used EotE and F&D beginner games as session 0 for my campaigns, something that binds the party together.

AoR game I used as an encounter to introduce the rebellion theme to my running EotE campaign.

This. Can't recommend this enough. I added one of the old WEG mini adventures (the one that you escape an Imperial trap a mine in some hidden Y-Wings... Can't remember the name) as my bridge into the Rebellion & followed up with the AoR box stuff.

On 8/18/2016 at 8:59 PM, gaerithe said:

This. Can't recommend this enough. I added one of the old WEG mini adventures (the one that you escape an Imperial trap a mine in some hidden Y-Wings... Can't remember the name) as my bridge into the Rebellion & followed up with the AoR box stuff.

The ultra-classic Rebel Breakout from the first edition of the game :) with good ol' ISB Agent Mar Barezz

On 2/7/2018 at 8:08 AM, allenshock said:

The ultra-classic Rebel Breakout from the first edition of the game :) with good ol' ISB Agent Mar Barezz

Are you THAT Allen Shock?

Are you that Aramis? :) (Yes, I think we know each other from the old TML)

On 2/13/2018 at 6:05 PM, allenshock said:

Are you that Aramis? :) (Yes, I think we know each other from the old TML)

I think so...