Pre-combat fire ruling questions

By Wonoz, in Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

Heya guys

I got a Question about a Specific Turn. Just help me out here;

So I am the Yin; the other guy plays L1Z1X:

Me: I have my mothership online and use it together with two carriers and a shitton of GF to cap a planet. End my turn. GF are on the Planet.

Other guy: Activates the same system and moves his 5 Dreadnoughts in. Since he has Assault Cannons online they have prefire.

so:

First things first; Van Haugh can utilize GFs as fighters in Space combat. The other Guy argued that prefire always happens BEFORE the actual space combat so I can not use my GF to tank the hits. I can not deny that it sounds plausible and let it pass. The van Haugh lives though because he is unlucky as hell and misses 3 hits. one of the carrier dies and the Van Haugh takes a hit.

So as I mentioned before; I placed the Groundforces on the Ground before. Other guy insists that I may not use them because the "as though as they were fighters"- clause sounds to him like they have to be in ship or a spacedock with fighter capacity. The playgroup disagrees and I can use them.

At this point, though not relevant to the battle itself, the question comes up if "as though as they were fighters" also means that there has to be sufficient Fighter capacity in the system for the groundforces to participate.

4 Qeustions came up in this situation:

1.Can the Van Haugh use Groundforces to tank up pre-combat fire?

2.When defending: do the Groundforces have to be in Space (in a ship) in order to be utilized as fighters? Or can the do that from the Planet surface as well?

3.When defending: do Groundforces that are used "as though they were fighters" count towards your FIGHTER-capacity?

4.Do they profit from fighter and/or GF techs when used "as though they were fighters"?

1: No.

2: They can be on the planet.

3: Moot since fighter capacity is only checked after space combat is over.

4: I would say that they benefit from fighter tech only.

At least that's how I'd interpret the rules.

Well, your question # 1
that player just wanted to take advantage of his dreads precombat
but if that player had another fleet, eg sardak Norr with 4 destroyers with turret, he probably would argue that your GF have targeted for his barrage

I am also confused now

nah I think this is perfectly fine like this. But you are right that if Dread precombat can´t be tanked that Anti fighter Barrage won´t find targets then. Thats a downside and an upside and perfectly fine for me.

More interesting is whats techs the Groundforces can take advantage of like; if they die in spce; does gen synthesis/Daxacive animator work on them or not? What about Shocktroopers as some sort of Super-Fighters? I mean Hopes and would be even better then as it already is now! What about the Yin General when it comes to defensive Space Battles?

Edited by Wonoz

nah I think this is perfectly fine like this. But you are right that if Dread precombat can´t be tanked that Anti fighter Barrage won´t find targets then. Thats a downside and an upside and perfectly fine for me.

More interesting is whats techs the Groundforces can take advantage of like; if they die in spce; does gen synthesis/Daxacive animator work on them or not? What about Shocktroopers as some sort of Super-Fighters? I mean Hopes and would be even better then as it already is now! What about the Yin General when it comes to defensive Space Battles?

well u are right actually is more common the anti fighter barrage rather the asault cannon .

I think the keyword here is that the Van Haugh CAN use GFs as fighters. This does not mean it must. This decision must, of course, be made before any dice are rolled, but if he chooses to use them as fighters, then ALL rules for fighters apply. Meaning they could get Destroyer barraged, soak the dreadnought hits, any Tech that affect fighters affect the GFs as well, and you must check for capacity after the fight as usual.

Yes this makes the Van Haugh mighty as hell, but it's a flagship and is supposed to be.

Edited by Ironglaive

The Keyword here is "In space Battle". All the Pre-combat-fire abilities are in the pre-combat step and not considered spacebattle according to the rulebook