Looks like this is already an (unexpected) hit...

By Otakuon, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

So my buddy got this game for us to play. His FLGS got 6 copies in on Tuesday. He called in the morning and reserved a copy. Found out later that the other 5 were also all reserved before they even hit the shelves. Also noticed that all the main online game stores show this as already sold out. So obvious this one was popular (despite the fact that I really haven't heard much chatter from people that they were desperate to get this game). Either FFG didn't expect it to be this popular or only ran a very small print run for the first edition for some reason.

Anyway, we played our first game today. Was pretty fun. Can definitely feel the LotR LCG influence in the game with a bit of the WH:FRPG thrown in as a little dash of spice. We lost the first quest in a 4-player game by a single point of damage so definitely a very challenging game but seemed balanced overall. I am sure the expansions will be flowing as fast as FFG can make them for this one in short order.

I wouldn't say this game is a must have, but it is definitely of interest for people who are looking for a solid card-driven co-op game in the same vein as the LotR LCG (but less complex) or who want a more slimed down version of Warhammer FRPG but still retain the feeling of developing a character over several play sessions.

Man, that Warhammer FRPG comparsion is completely uncalled for. They share the theme, and that's about it.

Unexpected? By some, perhaps. I, for one, preordered this bad-boy the second it was available to do so. :)

Can't wait until my copy gets here!

Man, that Warhammer FRPG comparsion is completely uncalled for. They share the theme, and that's about it.

Never said they played the same, but there are some style choices borrowed from the RPG. The dice in WHQ barrow the symbols from the dice in WH:FRPG and the rolling mechanics remind me of the RPG as well (building a dice pool with supporting and opposing dice mixed together).

By the way, found out my friend set the quest up wrong. Mixed in tier 2 enemies in the first quest. Also, we didn't put the 4 progress on the current location for killing Grump and we didn't pull gear cards when we draw dungeon cards with the coin symbol. So we probably would of won our game.

By symbols do you mean images? Because it's hardly, what you have called it, a " more slimed down version of Warhammer FRPG ". Even that, FRPG uses a single hammer for success, while ACG uses two crossed ones. In FRPG, "opposing" dice directly interfere with the role (rolling failures that cancel your successes), while in WHARPG they don't do a thing to your roll, just punish you if you have engaged enemies. It's not slimed down version of Warhammer FRPG, it's a completely different game set in the same universe.

Group of adventurers, warhammer world, go on quests, fight the 'evil' races of the world...yeah sounds totally different. Mechanically different, sure, which is what I think you mean.

Group of adventurers, warhammer world, go on quests, fight the 'evil' races of the world...yeah sounds totally different. Mechanically different, sure, which is what I think you mean.

And don't get involved in chaos cults coming out of the woodwork. And have a chance of suceeding. And don't get horribly mutated and die raving lunatics...

So there are some differences.

So my buddy got this game for us to play. His FLGS got 6 copies in on Tuesday. He called in the morning and reserved a copy. Found out later that the other 5 were also all reserved before they even hit the shelves. Also noticed that all the main online game stores show this as already sold out. So obvious this one was popular (despite the fact that I really haven't heard much chatter from people that they were desperate to get this game). Either FFG didn't expect it to be this popular or only ran a very small print run for the first edition for some reason.

My MM order finally came up and shipped after a week. Their "on hand" quantities keep spiking and going to zero, but it seems that FFG's supply chain is finally catching up to demand.

By symbols do you mean images? Because it's hardly, what you have called it, a " more slimed down version of Warhammer FRPG ". Even that, FRPG uses a single hammer for success, while ACG uses two crossed ones. In FRPG, "opposing" dice directly interfere with the role (rolling failures that cancel your successes), while in WHARPG they don't do a thing to your roll, just punish you if you have engaged enemies. It's not slimed down version of Warhammer FRPG, it's a completely different game set in the same universe.

Hahaha ha slimed. As in goo all over it. Funny.

Peril tracker straight out of WHRP. Small carded conditions just like RP also. Dice are similar. So yeah...a little gooey warpstone slime .

And don't get involved in chaos cults coming out of the woodwork. And have a chance of suceeding. And don't get horribly mutated and die raving lunatics...

I didn't say that there weren't some differences, but there are a lot of similarities. A board/card game is never going to be exactly the same as a tabletop RPG, just like computer game RPGs cannot simulate the wide assortment of things that can happen in pen-and-paper RPGs.

I'm not sure why a couple of people are being so defensive about the comparison. Playing this last night and introduced someone new to it and literally the first thing they said was that the WQ:ACG dice were very similar to the WFRPG ones (this is only anecdotal for sure).

Unexpected? By some, perhaps. I, for one, preordered this bad-boy the second it was available to do so. :)

Can't wait until my copy gets here!

My MM ordered copied arrived today as well. Looking forward to playing the game the *correct* way.

And sorry for stirring up the WH:FRP controversy. I only meant to convey that from having played FFG's version of the RP, I personally feel that there are some influences from it carried over into WH:Q. They are subtle to be sure. Others might not see that I suppose. Didn't really mean to personally offend anyone with my statements though....so I apologize if I trampled on anyone's feelings :mellow: .

Edited by Otakuon

I didn't say that there weren't some differences, but there are a lot of similarities. A board/card game is never going to be exactly the same as a tabletop RPG, just like computer game RPGs cannot simulate the wide assortment of things that can happen in pen-and-paper RPGs.

I'm not sure why a couple of people are being so defensive about the comparison. Playing this last night and introduced someone new to it and literally the first thing they said was that the WQ:ACG dice were very similar to the WFRPG ones (this is only anecdotal for sure).

I didn't think I was being defensive, I was just trying to get some cheap laughs. Having several actions and rolling custom dice does give it a little of the same feel as wfrp3. So the comparison is fair. But dungeon sperlunking is not really the main focus of WFRP (at least when I run it.) so that makes it stand out a little. Anyway, I don't think there's any need to apologise. No one died. Unless we're talking abnout their characters.

I got the game me and my friends are enjoying the game. But until there is more copies for my friends to buy one. Cause it hard with only one set of dice to use my friends wish there where more dices.

Hahaha ha slimed. As in goo all over it. Funny.

Peril tracker straight out of WHRP. Small carded conditions just like RP also. Dice are similar. So yeah...a little gooey warpstone slime .

Arkham/Eldritch Horror both have same sort of "peril tracker" and small carded conditions! OMG! WACG is a slimed down Arkham Horror!

Dice are not similar. As well as actions.

If we break down the dice difference in simplest manner possible:

ACG good dice successes applied individually and do not fuel additional effects, each separate success matters.

RPG good dice successes applied in a manner printed on the action card, you need certain number of successes.

ACG bad dice make enemies attack you and trigger nemesis effects.

RPG bad dice directly cancel your successes rolled.

Not to mention RPG dice have all that things like boons, banes, which are all taking part in the roll.

In the end, all those dice similar in are that they use symbols instead of numbers.

Not to toot my own horn, but it appears my original assessment that FFG underestimated the popularity of this game was indeed true. From a recent interview with Christian Petersen:

New product stock is notoriously difficult to predict. For example, the Game of Thrones LCG 2nd Edition Core Set sold out in the first few weeks, even though we produced nearly twice as many as the most recent LCG. Same with the Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game --we printed a lot, but we simply underestimated demand and have been blown away by the extremely positive gamer reception to that title.

The entire interview can be read here .

Please do, toot away! Good call ;)

Please do, toot away! Good call ;)

I'm beginning to sense a "Foul Stench" with all this tooting going on in here! LOL!!!

I know, I know... I'll just show myself out thankyouverymuch...