Got it - Played it - Like it

By bkirchhoff, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Picked up the game tonight and ran through the tutorial. I love the speed of the game, very streamlined, easy to pickup and play.

I'm a fan of the Pathfinder: ACG, but this is a different game altogether and will probably get more playtime with my gaming group.

Great to hear! I hope you enjoy the campaign!

Can you compare the perceived difficulty from the first play to Pathfinder's?

The tutorial is bonkers easy and it's really short. We finished it in three rounds. It is really seems intended as a way to get playing fast and learn as you go. But I can see the potential for more. We ended the tutorial with 4 damage on Bright Wizard. Having to go straight into another location, while dealing with nemesis and peril effects, would definitely put strain on us. But losing the tutorial seems near impossible.

There is a lot more strategy than Pathfinder card game. Pathfinder is just a bunch of randomness... you pick a location that gives you the best odds based on your character build, but then you just hope for the best. In WQ there are a lot of ways you can control your fate. Maybe we can rush through locations and just survive the enemies (or get them in the shadows to discard them), maybe we can protect the weak characters by engaging their enemies, or stall by exhausting enemies, or simply try to kill the ones that are the biggest threat. And the campaign quests seem to have a lot of variety in their mechanics. It feels like Lord of the Rings card game but without the deck building, which makes me very happy!

Picked it up last night as well and did the tutorial. The tutorial is stupid easy but definitely designed to be that way. After reading through all of the cards I'm predicting that the actual quest will provide plenty of challenge. It was nice to see that each quest has some serious consequences for failure. Failing the 5th quest even results in an complete failure for the whole quest chain. I also enjoyed some of the light humor that was contained the in the storytelling text of the quest cards. Haven't gotten to delve into it much but so far I'm very pleased with the purchase.

Can you compare the perceived difficulty from the first play to Pathfinder's?

I found this to be far less "convoluted" than my first go at Pathfinder. My first reaction after playing was "I want to play that again"... my first go with Pathfinder was "I'm not sure we did that right...".

Thanks for the feedback guys ;)

Sigh. Looks like I'll be drooling over post this weekend, not knowing when I can get a copy. CSI still shows sold out pre-order, and my local store gets a shipment in today, but isn't sure if it's there, but no clue if they'll even get it before I leave town...sigh.

Had my first game tonight. Loved it !! It reminds me of when i used to play the original game also easy to pick up ( I Play LOTR LCG ).

Best Regards

Keith

The tutorial is bonkers easy and it's really short. We finished it in three rounds. It is really seems intended as a way to get playing fast and learn as you go. But I can see the potential for more. We ended the tutorial with 4 damage on Bright Wizard. Having to go straight into another location, while dealing with nemesis and peril effects, would definitely put strain on us. But losing the tutorial seems near impossible.

There is a lot more strategy than Pathfinder card game. Pathfinder is just a bunch of randomness... you pick a location that gives you the best odds based on your character build, but then you just hope for the best. In WQ there are a lot of ways you can control your fate. Maybe we can rush through locations and just survive the enemies (or get them in the shadows to discard them), maybe we can protect the weak characters by engaging their enemies, or stall by exhausting enemies, or simply try to kill the ones that are the biggest threat. And the campaign quests seem to have a lot of variety in their mechanics. It feels like Lord of the Rings card game but without the deck building, which makes me very happy!

My same impression (though I've never played the PF card game). Only did the tutorial, but I really liked it.

Got my copy today, and played through the tutorial and first quest of the 5-part campaign.

I'm a player of LotR LCG, and while I certainly saw many similarities I was very pleased in that it didn't feel like a rip-off at all. They've really made this into its own game and it's pretty elegant.

One thing I was worried about before I got the game was replayability, what with only 6 quests being included. But for a solo or 2-player game there are 6 different combinations of heroes to quest with, each with their own different abilities, potential synergies, and best strategies, giving a different flavor to the quest depending on the combo of heroes you use. So that's essentially 30 quests right there. Plus, even if you replay a quest with the same hero pair there is high variability in the locations, gear, and dungeon cards that you will wind up having available. And of course, there is the whole random chance elements of dice and cards that would make a game play out dramatically different even if the cards in each deck were kept identical each time you set up the same quest (which, again, they are not).

Overall, very pleased! Still, I do hope the inevitable expansions will be announced soon. But I really hope they don't go overboard with the new monsters, locations, etc. like they do with LCG expansions. I think it's a terrible waste to only use certain enemies for a handful of quests. I mean, there is no reason the basic skaven in this core set couldn't be used in dozens or scores of new quests later on down the line.

It is my hope that expansions will generally include (1) a new 5-quest campaign, (2) a new delve quest, (3) only a half dozen or so new enemy types, with plenty of call for enemies from the core set to be reused, (4) one new hero and associated cards, legendary gear, etc.

I suspect they intend for the general gear cards and dungeon cards to be pretty long-lived, and I doubt we will see very large quantities of new cards in these groups. But I'm sure there will be some. I suspect these decks will be similar to the damage deck in the X-wing minis game.

Whatever they do, I just hope their actions maintain the value of the contents of the core box. I certainly enjoy a new deluxe expansion for an LCG, for example, but it's pretty infuriating sometimes how few cards from such an expansion are needed for the associated cycle...

Edited by JohnGarrison1870

I suspect they intend for the general gear cards and dungeon cards to be pretty long-lived, and I doubt we will see very large quantities of new cards in these groups. But I'm sure there will be some. I suspect these decks will be similar to the damage deck in the X-wing minis game.

Whatever they do, I just hope their actions maintain the value of the contents of the core box. I certainly enjoy a new deluxe expansion for an LCG, for example, but it's pretty infuriating sometimes how few cards from such an expansion are needed for the associated cycle...

:) Edited by LordPasty