Card ability & Card effect

By joecana, in Rules Questions

After Randyll Tarly's STR is increased by a Card Effect, stand him.

My opponent use Margaery Tyrell's ability to add 3 STR to Randyll, then Randyll stand.

This is obviously a valid combo.

However, I have a bit confuse of character ability, card ability and card effect.

Are they pointing to the same things? Any relationships between them?

Or, could anyone tell me what are NOT card ability?

What are NOT card effect?

So that I could classify others are card ability / effects.

E.g.

I know Duplicates is NOT card ability, but game ability.

But, is it card effect?

Tks a lot

Abilities ( RRG, p. 2 ): "An ability is the special game text that a card contributes to the game. Card abilities fall into one of the following types: actions, constant abilities, interrupts, keywords, reactions, or when revealed abilities."

Effects (RRG, p.7) : "A card effect is any effect that arises from the resolution of ability text printed on, or gained by, a card."

So, the short answer to your question is:

- A "card ability" is the entirety of the active text of a card.

- A "character ability" is a card ability that appears on a character card.

- A "card effect" is the impact resolving a card ability has on the game, as distinguished from the cost, limits or triggering conditions of the card ability. (A somewhat more abstract way of thinking of "card effect" is that it is what doesn't happen if the card ability is canceled.)

Since a "card effect" is always a part of a "card ability," it is easy to think of the two terms as meaning the same thing, but they really aren't interchangeable. "Card ability" includes the costs, play restrictions, timing indicators and effect. "Card effect" is just what you get out of using a card ability. Or, said differently, a "card ability" is anything that is available in the game state because a particular card tells you it is there. A "card effect" is anything that actually happens in the game because someone uses a card ability.

In terms of what is NOT a "card ability," anything that works or is available in the game state because a rule allows it, rather than a card, is not a card ability. Dupes work not because of any card text, but because of the rules text, so they are not "card abilities." Attacking or defending during challenges and resolving claim work because the rules text tells you what to do, not because of the text of any individual card, so that is not a "card ability" either. And if you are not using a card ability, there cannot be a card effect. However, keywords are "card abilities" because, while defined in the rules, are only active when a card with the appropriate text is in play, and thus a defending character chosen as the target of Stealth does have a "card effect" applied to it.

Are there specific interactions with Randyll you are unsure about?

Crystal clear.

Thank you so much :)