Let's talk dice...

By Eagle128, in Star Wars: Rebellion

I was looking at the pictures posted about this game and started really looking at the dice.

1: there are two different colors (black and red)

2: they have at most four different symbols on them, if you count blanks as symbols.

3: the four symbols are targeting reticle (accuracy?), some kind of of hit symbol (1 damage?), an explosion (critical, double damage, or removal of one unit?), and blank (nuff said).

Now why would there be two types of die? Would one be more accurate and the other more damage but less of a chance to hit?

What are your thoughts community? What are you seeing that I missed? Let the guessing begin!

any more detial?!

The hit symbol is also used on mission cards to denote successes.

I agree with eagle128's assessment of the critical hit symbol... its the picture of the explosion of the Death Star, so we can guess where that will be most crucial.

Blanks are misses

The targeting reticule could actually mean "shields/evasion" a mechanism to cancel out some hits. if there were one of these per dice, two hits per dice, two misses per dice and one critical hit, that might be a good balance. Perhaps critical hits can not be evaded/shielded.

If it really is a "target lock" perhaps this means that rather than the player assigning his own hits (imperial assigns 2 damage rolled by the rebels to his tie-fighters to avoid damaging his transport) the other player may then specify (rebel rolls two hits and one target lock, thus the rebel specifies at least one hit must be on the transport). If this were the meaning, than [two hits/two target locks/ one miss/ one critical hit] sounds like the best distribution. I suppose this means that a target lock can be combined with a critical hit!

Why red and black? Are the red stronger and the black weaker? Possibly there are a lot more blanks on the black dice and the red dice are just that much better. This seems to be the simplest arrangement.

A more complex arrangement would be weapon types. Black can only damage smaller units, signifying a faster firing weapon. Red would be like turbolasers (" they're so small they're avoiding our turbolasers...we'll have to destroy them ship to ship, get the crews to their fighters. ") Black damages small units (fighters/infantry). Red damages large units (Star Destroyers/Cruisers). It's possible that some units must take different types of damage in order to be destroyed. Black takes down shields, Red takes down hull, etc...

This may clarify the reason for X-wings (firing black) and Y-wings (firing red).

The hit symbol is also used on mission cards to denote successes.

Why red and black? Are the red stronger and the black weaker? Possibly there are a lot more blanks on the black

A more complex arrangement would be weapon types. Black can only damage smaller units, signifying a faster firing weapon. Red would be like turbolasers (" they're so small they're avoiding our turbolasers...we'll have to destroy them ship to ship, get the crews to their fighters. ") Black damages small units (fighters/infantry). Red damages large units (Star Destroyers/Cruisers). It's possible that some units must take different types of damage in order to be destroyed. Black takes down shields, Red takes down hull, etc...

This may clarify the reason for X-wings (firing black) and Y-wings (firing red).

That is something I had not considered. That would be interesting, but I doubt they will use that mechanic. However, they might...

New thoughts on the Dice.

After careful examination of all the available pictures, I found that the more powerful tactics cards require the roll of a "success" symbol. That's the one that looks like an X piercing a diamond. This is the same symbol needed to succeed in missions.

The targeting reticule, then, would be a hit scored. Notice on the unit reference sheet how spaces are given beside each kind of unit to show how they can be destroyed. (Alternatively how they score hits or both) Each of the black and red boxes on the left are made up of the targeting reticules. Some of them have a 1 in the middle. Others look to have a 2 or a 3 in the middle. Chances are that the targeting reticule signals successful hits. My theory is that the third box beside each unit is the critical hit symbol (that looks like Alderaan or the Death Star blowing up), indicating that instead of needing 1 black and 2 red hits on an ISD, all you need is one black and one critical hit to finish it off. When you roll your dice and you get blanks, tough luck. If you get "successes" these do not score hits, but allow you to use the more powerful tactics cards you drew.