So I want to make a mutant...

By HappyDaze, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

Playing with the Origin Path produces some interesting results, some appropriate and others less so. However, my latest character is going to follow this path: Void Born/Stubjack/Tainted (Mutant)/The Hand of War/Fortune/Voidmaster. The key part for this post is Tainted as this character is going to be a mutant. Per the rules, he can either roll on Table 14-3: Mutations or pay 200 xp to select one result (must be a result of lower than 76-00). This last part strikes me as being off, as per Table14-3, there is no break at the 76 value. There is a result of 75-78 which could - strictly speaking - be selected as the rules now read. So, where should the block on mutation selection be placed? It really won't matter for my character as I've spent my 200 xp and selected Tough Hide for that scarred-up voidfarer look, but I'm just curious if this needs a minor bit of erratta.

Also, it's interesting that anyone can take Tainted (Mutant) and select Wyrdling for playing a renegade psyker right from the beginning! In the long run, even if you avoid the non-mechanical baggage of being a renegade psyker, you're going to be bleeding xp all over the place to get all of the Elite Advances you'll need to fully blossom into the high-powered psychic deviant that everyone fears! But you can get there...

Hmm, either it's a misprint or they just thought that allowing rolls above the 75 needed to get that last mutation were redundant.