Drinking Contest Location Card

By kid_happy2, in WFRP House Rules

So my group played with the drinking rules by Kalevala and had a lot of fun but it sounds like things were slightly confusing and ended with a priest of Sigmar out drinking our Ogre. I took a look at the rules and came up with something similar that would fit on a location card and work pretty much like any other competitive check. Every time the test is failed the challenge rating goes up... see below. I did this to remove the AU's and chart referencing.

Ultimately we're left with a Resilience Test competition that each challenger rolls until one is left.

The basics:

• Each player starts intoxicated - let's face it these things never start with sober folks at the beginning of the night.
  • Every round, each player makes an Average Resilience test - (Easy for Dwarfs and Ogres)
  • If you fail, add one challenge die to your future tests. These max out at Daunting (four Challenge dice.)
  • A single bane causes a fatigue. Double boons can cause a fatigue, as normal.
  • Chaos stars are tracked. Get more than your toughness your character loses his dinner.
  • Two Chaos Stars roll again with your current dice pool on Kalevala's chart.
  • Rounds continue until a player passes out (normal fatigue rules), chunders (accumulates more Chaos Stars than their toughness), or gets a poor Stupid Things You Do result.
The "winner" comes out Stinking Drunk .
I've done about thirty different tests with an Toughness 3 human and a T 5 Ogre with one level of Resilience trained to see if it's interesting. I was using the ForbiddenTome die roller to make the rolls and just went back and forth in two windows ( http://www.theforbid...rollers/wfrp3e/ ), tracking fatigue and chits on a scratch pad.
The contests seem close for a bit, but the little guy just can't go the duration. In a neutral stance, the poor sod has usually lost his dignity by the seventh round of drinks and as early as five. The Ogre with his toughness, can get enough occasional boons and comets to stay in the game. Even on the odd occasion the Ogre had to roll on the To Something Stupid the banes and challenges were countered a bit by the characteristics and expertise dice. A dwarf or some one trained in resilience would obviously give a better contest.
I'm not sure how exactly to use the Delays on Conservative dice (maybe suffer a stress from being jeered at?) so left the characteristic dice in Neutral.
Let me know what you think...
jGV06E0.jpg
Cheers.
Edited by kidkraken

I like it! And something tells me your GM will like it too ;)

The 'Swallow it Down' mechanic is inspired, as is the 'Just a Burp'. Really conjures up what's happening perhaps all too vividly. Just wondering about the Stupid Things You Do chart. Just wondering how often that double choas is gonna come up during a contest. Did your playtest turn up many of therm?

Noely

I'll let one of probability wizzes handle the odds of two stars on two dice is low (about one percent) but on four dice it happens. The roller has an odds generator and when you just add four challenge dice it says 7%. say the last five die rolls are being made at four challenge by two players and odds are significant that you'll see the double star, and more likely towards the end of things. I did a play test with the ogre and he got it early and brushed it off as there are so many dice to offset his negative challenges/banes.

Davy

I guess if you decided that the Double Chaos star didn't trigger the Stupid Things You Do When You're Drunk table enough (given that it's a rather amusing highlight of the game) you could rule that for example that if you get a chaos star that would see you equal your Toughness rating then that would be an auto draw on the STYDWYD table as well. The final dumb thing you do if you like the round before you pebbledash your opponents with a technicolour yawn...lol

Yeah, that would certainly work as well without derailing anything.

Odds are over 50% that double stars will have been rolled by the tenth dauntless roll (not round) if my math is right.

If anything it'll speed up the contest as a few of the results are get sick/pass out/fall off your chair.

I'll let one of probability wizzes handle the odds of two stars on two dice is low (about one percent) but on four dice it happens.

Buddy, I'm pretty sure you can get two chaos stars on ONE dice. They just love messing with you that much.

Yeah, I've stopped dreading them and pretty much expect one on most rolls. I remember when they used to be "new and shiny". If my PC is in combat he's slipping or dropping his weapon. If he's in the sewers it's a mouthful of...

Hahahah, yeah, I remember that adventure. Chaos stars in the sewer? Not good. Multiple chaos stars in the sewer?

Hey remember those stories you heard about ratmen?

Managed to get a case of the Blacklegge in those crap-funnels.

And the ratmen? They don't exist. Be damned if I know where these scars are from though...