Christie Monteiro...needs...help...

By Rockstar2, in UFS Deck Building

guitalex2008 said:

Hey! Side Flop can still serve a purpose... Fruit Picker and Samba are both high attacks. With Genius Making the FP/Samba not count toward progressive, I don't see how Side Flop is bad :(

Now Slippery Kick, THAT I have a hard time finding a use for.

Slippery Kick has indeed been replaced with Evil Sparrow, and it's working out beautifully!!! happy.gif

RtP + SfF/HfJ = tutored characters, every turn.

Few other characters can attest to such easy tutoring of character blocks. Also, For the Money + blocking with an attack on opponent's turn = lol.

MarcoPulleaux said:

RtP + SfF/HfJ = tutored characters, every turn.

Few other characters can attest to such easy tutoring of character blocks. Also, For the Money + blocking with an attack on opponent's turn = lol.

Can't anyone who can run HfJ tutor for a char block every turn? i personally like using spinning demon to recur characters...low blocks don't seem to be too prevailent...and on top of that, if they decide to full block the demon, you can usually hit them with a first rite.

Of course i am talking Chaos which christie doesn't have...

I guess my point is christie does do many things better than other characters, but i dont think tutoring for character cards is one of them.

ARMed_PIrate said:

Great thread.

I think it's also worth noting that Searching for Family (which is perhaps her best method of getting a killing hand, or getting card advantage in general) leans her towards stall. You want to build and build, and create a huge hand with several Searching for Family's (over multiple turns). Try to block everything, keep everything dedicated to defense. (This doesn't work against throw decks.)

But you really don't want to go for the kill until you know you can toss a full hand of kicks (and not just SSS) in one turn. She really wants a single-turn kill, because anything less will leave her with less than a full hand of defense. With her vitality, that means she'll go splat.

I have to agree with you, AP. I've found that Christie does like to build and play a lot of D until she's ready for her kill Turn. What makes this doable, since many of her key foundations will NOT have blocks on them (she'll be ducking and weaving via the blocks on her attacks) is how much recursion she has.

It's easy to block with your Kill Card, place it in Discard at the end of your opponents turn, and then fetch it with Researching the Past + Searching for Family or Hunt for Jin at the very beginning of your turn (after Draw/Ready phase, of course).

Also, i have to say that i'm very happy with the challenge of playing this kind of character. OldFS had veritable Tanks that would play Stall, and it was nigh impossible to take them down. At least with Christie, you are placed on a veritable timer, and there is constant pressure to get into play the necessary cards to win. So, it IS somewhat of a Stall deck, but it is very limited in how long she may do that for.

A fair trade, and a wise decision on her design, imo.

Smazzurco said:

I guess my point is christie does do many things better than other characters, but i dont think tutoring for character cards is one of them.

But see, you can't then say that because Christie isn't the character tutor master she isn't worth running.

You mentioned Chaos, something that tutors characters much differently. While Chaos has Spinning Demon and The Hunt is On, Christie can Researching the Past and then either Hunt for Jin or Searching for Family, costing 2 foundations, as opposed to Hunt is On which requires a discard, or Spinning Demon which can only be played on your turn (unless you're Lizardman) and must deal damage.

She simply plays DIFFERENTLY, and when you have 18 vitality, tutoring characters every single turn is pretty bowss.

i need to build a christie i think...i mean ****, i opened like 17 fruit pickers in packs...

Also most of my chaos experience has been algol and omar.....hey look, both have all and can run those same combos lol.

I have played against christie a bit (playtested with rockstar) and honestly i will probably wait till the next set is released, but i want to build a christie so i can feel a lil more "educated" about her.

Does christie share any symbols with bloodline rebelion? (i dont have cards in front of me)

Researching the past + naming kicks might be somethign to look into...

Smazzurco said:

i need to build a christie i think...i mean ****, i opened like 17 fruit pickers in packs...

Also most of my chaos experience has been algol and omar.....hey look, both have all and can run those same combos lol.

I have played against christie a bit (playtested with rockstar) and honestly i will probably wait till the next set is released, but i want to build a christie so i can feel a lil more "educated" about her.

Does christie share any symbols with bloodline rebelion? (i dont have cards in front of me)

Yup. Christie has All, as does Bloodline...

Smazzurco said:

Smazzurco said:

Yup. Christie has All, as does Bloodline...

Yea, Sal, we gotta throwdown again, since i further improved the deck since Monday. Unfortunately, i won't be there on Saturday Halloween, and Steph has it off, so...how about we make plans for Monday at GK again??

So did you wind up going with All Christie, or did you do dual symbol Christie as mine was?

I have yet to build Christie, so I truly don't know which build works best, really.

MarcoPulleaux said:

So did you wind up going with All Christie, or did you do dual symbol Christie as mine was?

I have yet to build Christie, so I truly don't know which build works best, really.

Here's my current revised build...do note how similar it looks to your Dual-Symbol build. I'm also going to experiment with a Life build of her with that crazy Turn Thruster -> Law's Somersault shenanigans, too. However, i'm really diggin' this All/Life build at the moment, as it has a ton of tricks:

1x 6/6 *Christie M* 7hs 18vp +0m

Actions (4):

4x 3/4 Frantic Search +2h

Assets: (7):

2x 2/5 Designer Clothes +3h

3x 2/5 Path of the Master +2m

2x 3/4 Robes of the Grandmaster

Attacks (18):

3x 5/3 Fruit Picker 3h6 +1m (kick, Christie combo)

4x 5/3 Lunging Brush Fire 4m4 +2m (kick)

3x 4/3 Samba 3h3 +2m (kick, combo)

4x 4/3 Side Flop 3L3 +2h (kick, combo)

4x 4/3 Evil Sparrow 3m3 +2m (kick)

Foundations (30):

4x 2/5 For the Money +3m

4x 2/5 Genius Alchemist

4x 2/5 Body of Souls

4x 1/5 Hunt for Jin +2L

4x 1/5 Torn Hero

3x 3/4 One with the Rhythm

4x 2/4 Researching the Past

3x 2/4 Searching for Family

So...my base model was always your OG build, MP. I lacked the cards to completely build it, and during playtesting the cards i've opted for in lieu of what you had originally posted i've found to be, i daresay, better for this kind of deck (or maybe better suited to my play-style). For example, that Tira's Terrain is really...horrible, as it allows your opponent to also ready cards. Seriously, this deck does NOT want to feed ready foundations for opponents who will be packing Stand Off, and trying to blow up my own For the Moneys. So, in come Robes of the Grandmaster which makes blocking a bit more difficult.

Also, Slipper Kick is...meh. The biggest complaint about Christie IS that she has to make her checks in order to be successful. The SSS loop is normally played at a 6-diff. Evil Sparrow combined with Genius Alchemist really does a fantastic job of making sure The Loop is consistently 4 or 5-diff, and only ever occassionally a 6-diff. It just really runs so much better with Evil Sparrow.

Christie remains a challenging character to pilot. You have to be a little lucky, and make wise decisions when dropping foundations, going for kill, etc...However, she truly is one of the most versatile characters i've played, because this build draws and recurs so many cards.

I'm very excited to see where this new Soul Cal set's support takes her (heck, i'm just excited for the new release, period!

Anyway...i'm still open to comments and suggestions. Christie remains truly truly fun to play, and that's why i'm taking so much time to try and make her as competitive as possible; she (and eddie) were, and are still, one of my favorites to play at the arcade!

Eiserne Drossel > Robes of the Grandmaster, all of the time. Eiserne has a good block and a 5 check, both of which Robes lacks.

Tira's Terrain only readies cards while it's ready. Unless your opponent abuses it on their next turn, just abuse it to the best of your advantage, then commit it on the last attack so your opponent can't use it.

Also, while I like my original build, I'm really looking forward to All.

MarcoPulleaux said:

Eiserne Drossel > Robes of the Grandmaster, all of the time. Eiserne has a good block and a 5 check, both of which Robes lacks.

Tira's Terrain only readies cards while it's ready. Unless your opponent abuses it on their next turn, just abuse it to the best of your advantage, then commit it on the last attack so your opponent can't use it.

Also, while I like my original build, I'm really looking forward to All.

Sure, i agree. Unfortunately, i lack any Eiseme D's. Actually, i quite like dual-symbol decks anyway; my last tournament deck was Tri-Symbol ***Terry, and i placed 6th overall at the Silicon Cup: Battle for the Bay Regional Championships, so...yea...

Will build and try out Life Christie and report back. cool.gif

The only problem is, Robes isn't a dual-symbol card. Sure, it has Life/Water, but not a single card in your deck has All/Water WITHOUT having Life, as well.

So, once again, Drossel > Robes, every time.

Not disagreeing with you, merely stating that i don't own any Drossels. If i did, i would certainly run'em.

I understand completely m'man.

Which is why you needs t'buy you a Fight Life Kit =D

MarcoPulleaux said:

I understand completely m'man.

Which is why you needs t'buy you a Fight Life Kit =D

Werd!!! gran_risa.gif BTW, forgot to mention, i DO have 4 copies of Base Hold coming to me in a trade, and 3 of them will be making their way into my current build.

That shouldn't be too bad a decision. They're generic, good actions :) .

MarcoPulleaux said:

That shouldn't be too bad a decision. They're generic, good actions :) .

That combo rather nicely with Fruit Picker...

To an extent

Remember, it's Combo (Action, Kick), not (Kick, Action)

The funniest way to abuse it would be Base Hold, Evil Sparrow, Fruit Picker. Evil Sparrow doesn't even count towards difficulty, and it comes at a 5 mid 6. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

MarcoPulleaux said:

To an extent

The funniest way to abuse it would be Base Hold, Evil Sparrow, Fruit Picker. Evil Sparrow doesn't even count towards difficulty, and it comes at a 5 mid 6. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

Already saw that combo. And, should i have a Genius Alchemist free...yea...fun times!

Christie should always run 4 Genius Alchemist. With all your draw and RtP for cheatery, you have no excuse for not drawing them.

Yeah, so found out that the Store Championship at Epic Adventure Games (Santa Cruz, CA) is next Saturday...am considering taking Christie to the tourney and trying to make Top 8. I'm somewhat of a fan of taking characters that most people sleep on, and doing really well with them, proving said character's worth.

I think Christie is just such a character. I'm playtesting several different decks this week, and will make a decision soon. Christie will be one of those decks i'm testing out. Will let you know which way i go.

Please do.

I really want to hear some insight on how Christie plays. Alex said his All Christie was devoured by Stand Off, but I'd really like to think maybe he wasn't running the right attacks, or made crucial mistakes or something.

But yes, a build, run it, tell me how it goes :)

Play tested this deck last night...it was better than expected (took a hand from an aggro-licious Stun Paul deck), but not very confidence inspiring. The deck can be fickle: the checks are a bit too inconsistent. Her low vitality makes every game pressure-filled; it becomes a game of "can i survive my opponent's turn to get to my turn"?

I think this deck needs more testing before i take it to a "larger" competition.

For the record: Stand Off is annoying, but not devastating to this deck.

MarcoPulleaux said:

To an extent

The funniest way to abuse it would be Base Hold, Evil Sparrow, Fruit Picker. Evil Sparrow doesn't even count towards difficulty, and it comes at a 7 high 8 . Pretty sweet if you ask me.