Deckbuilding for a new player starting 2.0

By sunny ravencourt, in Deck Building

Hey all.

I'm somewhat overwhelmed with all the houses for deckbuilding and I wondered if you had some advice. From what I can gather, I'm largely deciding between bannering or fealty. What I'm trying to learn is what the individual houses are good at, so I can then see how it fits my playstyle

What I think:
Greyjoy: wants to go first. Likes to rush

Martell: Wants to go second.

Bara: Makes people kneel

Stark: Keeps people standing.

Tyrell: ?

Lannister: has a big gold curve?

Nights Watch: ?

Targ: dragons prop up Dany and Drogo.

I'm not even sure about the ones that I think I know. So bannering one to another because they "work well together" seems rather difficult. Should I just fealty to start, or is that naturally hamstrung?

Thanks,

Sunny

might i suggest looking at deck lists on thronesdb.com or cardgamedb.com for ideas

Edited by Gunshy

I definitely have. I find myself wandering through the lists though, and so many of them have zero reviews or comments because the game is so new.

Tyrell is focused on Strength-boosts.

Night's Watch wants to defend at all costs.

From what I've gathered, here is how the factions break down

Baratheon: Soft control with kneel, wants to win dominance

Greyjoy: Unopposed Aggro using stealth. Something I have noticed is that Aggro is different than Rush. Rush tries to win quickly while Aggro tries to assert board control

Lannister: Using the best economy to win. Dominates Intrigue challenges. Contains the most Ambush cards

Martell: Delayed Rush. Tries to stall out the game before winning in one big turn (see Doran's Game)

Nights Watch: Tries to win by playing defensive. (see the wall)

Stark: I'm not quite sure. I've seen it said that they are the negation house with robb and ned to stand and bran to cancel

Targaryen: Dragons and Dothraki

Tyrell: Uses Strength boosts to win (see Margaery)

I've seen a lot of Lannister as a Banner due to the solid people you can bring over (Tyrion, Jaime). I've also seen baratheon bannered a lot to bring in their kneel package (r'holler cards)

Greyjoy is based around "stealth" and unopposed challenges. They lack intrigue.

Martell is based around the long game and control, punishing opponents for winning challenges and creating late game strength combos.

Baratheon is based off making people kneel and overwhelming a controlled board.

Stark is based upon military domination and murdering all characters with a sub-theme of dire wolf synergy. Also very weak intrigue.

Tyrell is based around hidden strength with strength boosts and a sub theme of deck search.

Lannister is based around hand based tricks with lots of gold, intrigue, action cancel, and the "ambush" trait.

Nights Watch is based around card draw and weenie characters with a defense theme.

Targ is based around burn(strength loss and kill) and the dragons/Dany.

Greyjoy is based around "stealth" and unopposed challenges. They lack intrigue.

Lannister is based around hand based tricks with lots of gold, intrigue, action cancel, and the "ambush" trait.

I built a Greyjoy deck bannering Lannister for these reasons. I love the Greyjoy emphasis on unopposed challenges; Lanni shores up their weaknesses and provides some muscle.

Even with all of the houses, the cardpool is still small enough to where as long as you follow a few basic principles ie: Gold curve, econ cards, fealty/banner requirements, you should be fine. Just go to thronesdb.com, throw some stuff together, do some test draws, and see what you think. People can offer advice on specific decks to help you out.

Remember: No more than 15 neutral cards with Fealty agenda. AT LEAST 12 non-loyal House X cards when using a Banner agenda. On some Houses this can be tricky due to the reliance of Loyal cards. In other words, not all Houses have at least 12 non-loyal cards actually worth splashing :P