Interview with John Zinser (AEG CEO) about selling L5R and other things

By kempy, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Great listen :)

I can't listen, any important points ?

I can't listen, any important points ?

They sold it for the good of the game. And that they were going to make it an ECG/LCG anyway.

Listening to this does make me less pissed at what happened to the game. And I think that Zinser has a really good point about if AEG had relaunched L5R as an ECG that there would have been alot of baggage. Baggage that FFG doesn't bring with them as they remake it into a LCG.

Zinser thinks that FFG can get us those new players. Players we have been trying to get and keep for years. I think he's right.

Zinser thinks that FFG can get us those new players. Players we have been trying to get and keep for years. I think he's right.

Who do you mean writing "us"? Everything, i say, everything depends what kind of game will be this new L5R. Tuned "old" L5R or something >completely< different.

Who do you mean writing "us"? Everything, i say, everything depends what kind of game will be this new L5R. Tuned "old" L5R or something >completely< different.

I presume he means, "us" as in the community of L5R fans :)

Having recently taking up Game of Thrones 2nd edition, which was a revamp of the old ccg, I have a huge amount of faith in FFG.

AGOT ccg, suffered from similar issues to l5r, an old and creaky system with a lot of glut. The way they cut out the fat and streamlined AGOT while also keeping the feel of the game. I can see a similar approach working for L5R. I sure hope it's the same design team as AGOT 2nd ed!

They sold it for the good of the game.

I think it would be more accurate to say he did it for the L5R brand/IP. But I'm just picking nits.

Having recently taking up Game of Thrones 2nd edition, which was a revamp of the old ccg, I have a huge amount of faith in FFG.

AGOT ccg, suffered from similar issues to l5r, an old and creaky system with a lot of glut. The way they cut out the fat and streamlined AGOT while also keeping the feel of the game. I can see a similar approach working for L5R. I sure hope it's the same design team as AGOT 2nd ed!

Wasn't GoTv1 also an LCG? Unless you meant even before that?

They sold it for the good of the game.

I think it would be more accurate to say he did it for the L5R brand/IP. But I'm just picking nits.

Wasn't GoTv1 also an LCG? Unless you meant even before that?

Yeah I mean before that. :)

AFAIK, the first lcg version was mechanically compatible with the ccg (someone correct me if I am wrong). Just they changed the release model.

CCG AGoT and LCG AGoT v1 were mechanically the same with some direct reprints. AGoT 2.0 the changes really weren't that drastic, more just to clean up some insane timing rules for effects, which basically created interrupt effects. Also tried to change cost curve by giving events costs. The cost changes and timing changes are what makes v1 and v2 incompatible. Otherwise if you know how to play v1 you pretty much know how to play v2. Kind of similar to the changes from emperor to Ivory in L5R.

The other big advantage to edition change was to wipe away the card pool bloat and attract new players.

I'm sure FFG will be able to craft a decent version of L5R. Using Netrunner as an example FFG did a great job of updating and creating a great game from existing material.

I presume he means, "us" as in the community of L5R fans :)

Yes, that is what I mean.

Everything, i say, everything depends what kind of game will be this new L5R.

I agree. And one thing I know from the last five years of playing L5R CCG is that getting players to start and stay with that game is difficult.

The new game needs to be good on its own and accessible to new players that are not now a part of the L5R community. (no pressure, FFG :P )

One of the location for the Stark is a direct reprint from CCG to v1 to V2, that shows how little change were done in some aspects.

I will admit that I have been somewhat mollified on the departure from AEG in the last month or so, so I'm more inclined to wish Zinser and AEG my best on their new product planning. I do hope that his assessment is accurate and FFG is a good, new opportunity for the game.

One of the location for the Stark is a direct reprint from CCG to v1 to V2, that shows how little change were done in some aspects.

Which card is that?

Gates of Winterfell is rather diffrent between v1 and v2. Wolfswood is completly diffrent and the last one is a resource location.

And even if the card is exactly the same the power lvl and meta of the game changed a lot so even if they were the same it doesn't matter much.

Edited by Mig el Pig

Fantastic interview, really enjoyed the look into L5R's history.

I also wonder if bought L5R IP also contains mechanic (i mean straight card game mechanic) of L5R CCG? Could someone confirm it?

As it was original to L5R I believe it would be included in the IP along with the RPG mechanics as well. I doubt that FFG would use much of them though. Their in house mechanics work quitter well for the LCG style across many, if not most of their games

I also wonder if bought L5R IP also contains mechanic (i mean straight card game mechanic) of L5R CCG? Could someone confirm it?

I can't officially confirm it. But I believe the answer is yes. They own it all.

The only thing I am not sure about is, whether or not they own burning sands now or not too. It is so heavily linked with l5r, I am not sure if they do or not.