Time Length of a Game

By Hawknight, in Wings of War

How long does this game take to play out? is it like Axis and Allies?

I guess it depends on how many people you have playing. When we play 2 player the games can be quite quick, especally if someone gets the explosion/instant death card. The most players we have had in one game has been five, and that game only took about 15 minutes max.

It's one of the great things about this game is that it doesn't take long at all to learn, (there isn't many games were you can say "I'll have you playing in five minutes") And the games are really fast pace and exciting.

My experience is that is takes 10-20 minutes to play.

my first game was about 40 mins but it was getting late and me and my dad decided to clean it up. we each had 2 planes and we got to a point where we were just chasing each other around the table lol

Depends on the number of planes used in a game... but about half an hour should do for 2-4 planes.

We played this for the first time last week ( a friend bought a copy), and we got through three games in the evening (about 3.5 hours).

That said, it was our first run through and there was an awful lot of chatting, 'chocs away chaps' banter etc., so...

Must say it was a jolly good game too, although i still prefer Algernon Pulls it Off – The Great War in the Air by Too Fat Lardies.

I played with 4-6 planes and the game last until 45-60 minutes all.

It depends most how many planes you want to use for a game.

And of course also the kind of mission you want to play.

Luddite said:

We played this for the first time last week ( a friend bought a copy), and we got through three games in the evening (about 3.5 hours).

That said, it was our first run through and there was an awful lot of chatting, 'chocs away chaps' banter etc., so...

Must say it was a jolly good game too.

This new forum is going to cost me a bloody fortune in buying games I was previously unaware of!

Aye, me too jadrax! gran_risa.gif

We played it again last thursday. Very interesting.

It reminds me a little of RoboRally in the method of planning.

We found however, that you seem to spend an awful lot of time maneuvering around to get into a kill position...which is fuine until you take damage that stops you maneuvering... sad.gif

Also, with your turn directions / distances set, if you get two planes 'mismatched' , it can be very difficult to actually engage.

But its a very neat, enjoyable little game...

to stop me and my dad from getting our planes mixed up when they use the same manouver deck we tear off little pieces of paper and right numbers ( 1,2,3 ) on them and then put one little piece on the plane card and one on the console so fo example a spitfire has a piece of paper on it that says 1 and its console has a piece that says 1

I played my first game today and with 8 players and one person running it the game took about 1 hour. That was with 3 or 4 having never played before.

My kids and I play (they are seven and eight) and we have six planes...we play in about an hour or so. When my buddy and I play, we can get two games done in about an hour or an hour and half. Great because it's a fun way to play and visit.

This engagement took us about 1.5 hours. That included the set up and put away. A good battle, and great fun had by all.

This engagement took us about 1.5 hours. That included the set up and put away. A good battle, and great fun had by all.

My shortest round was playing the first scenario in Watch your back, me in the Neuport and my wife in the Haberstadt. We went straight for each other. First phase fireing is close enough to warrent two drawn cards each from B-deck. She draws one left rudder damage and one right rudder damage and is more or less a sitting duck for the rest of the turn. It turns out it doesn't matter though. First card I draw is an explosion. Game over after around 2 turns :)

Next game took much longer mostly due to me drawing 7 cards with 0 damage. It ends in a tie after my wife runs out of table and I goes down in the round after that due to a fire. Probably was around 30 min playing time.

derros87 said:

my first game was about 40 mins but it was getting late and me and my dad decided to clean it up. we each had 2 planes and we got to a point where we were just chasing each other around the table lol

I've played a few like that! LOL! gran_risa.gif

It really depends on the players too, kinda like a boxing match. Sometimes it's a real quick, knock down drag out brawl that is over in 20 minutes or so. But then again, there can be that period of time where the players maneuver in an attempt to gain an advantage, kinda like boxers dancing around each other for a round or two, looking for an opening. I'm quite sure that I've had games that were 2 planes on 2 planes that went an hour, or very close to it.

kaufschtick said:

derros87 said:

I've played a few like that! LOL! gran_risa.gif

It really depends on the players too, kinda like a boxing match. Sometimes it's a real quick, knock down drag out brawl that is over in 20 minutes or so. But then again, there can be that period of time where the players maneuver in an attempt to gain an advantage, kinda like boxers dancing around each other for a round or two, looking for an opening. I'm quite sure that I've had games that were 2 planes on 2 planes that went an hour, or very close to it.

You got that right brother. One of the games from last Saturday night (FEB. 10) I was left in a Zero and a buddy was left in a Wildcat and we went at it like two boxers that were straight brawlers going head to head with passes until both went down. (My luck so far as I have not returned from a mission yet) Mano E Mano baby (cue Rocky music), it was a great time and the game went fast once the shooting started. Great time had by all.

I believe I hold the record for Shortest Game Without Invoking An Instant-Death Card:

The SO and I were playing _Dawn of War_, one-on-one. She had the Spitfire; I had the 109. We moved straight towards each other at high speed. We ended up at Short Range. I got to draw two As and a C -- I drew two 8s and a 1, exactly enough to kill the Hurricane. Elapsed Time: 30 seconds.

She has been somewhat hesitant to play _DoW_ again.... :P